The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 couple of queries about my gravid corn...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ashby_steve Posted - 11/04/2012 : 18:38:35
we have had two corn snakes cohabbing for a few years now,
this year, she has become gravid.

We did not realise until recently, however have managed to sort out a good home made incubator which is currently set at an average 81 degrees fluxing up to 85 and back down to around 76. Humidity is averaging about 95%

any more advice on incubating is much appreciated!

as for my questions...
I have given her a nesting box and separated the (rather horny) male from her, she moves around the tank as if she's looking for somewhere to lay, the nesting box has warm damp vermiculite and moss, is it normal that she won't stay in it? or will she go there when she's ready?

also are there any signs that she is about to lay? I know she shed around ten days ago, but did not realise she was pregnant until she refused her food a few days after.

Thanks a bunch :)
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Isoldael Posted - 12/04/2012 : 11:54:31
Yea... waiting for mine too. Can't wait!
ashby_steve Posted - 12/04/2012 : 11:30:29
Awesome :)
I think we're ready!
Now she just needs to lay lol
Isoldael Posted - 12/04/2012 : 11:17:14
My Saphira's gravid as well and she won't take double feeds, however, she's normally fine. As long as they are a healthy weight when they get gravid, it shouldn't be much of a problem I think. Just keep a close eye on her and make sure she doesn't develop any health problems. After she lays her eggs, if she's exceptionally thin, start her on food again slowly (starting with some pinkies or jumpers always worked wonders with me). When she's used to regular feeds again, return to your normal schedule and maybe add a bit extra to get her back to her normal weight :)
ashby_steve Posted - 12/04/2012 : 11:08:26
quote:
Originally posted by Isoldael

I think vermiculite does the job as well. I've had it both in the laying box and the incubator, and the humidity was perfect throughout the entire period ^^

Did you have to add more water at any point?

also, because i didnt realise Lyla was gravid untill she refused her food, she was only getting one weekly feed

im reading everywhere that you should double the amount you feed a female a few weeks prior?

should i worry?
Isoldael Posted - 11/04/2012 : 23:39:28
I think vermiculite does the job as well. I've had it both in the laying box and the incubator, and the humidity was perfect throughout the entire period ^^
ashby_steve Posted - 11/04/2012 : 22:52:05
This is all good stuff guys, thanks.
sorry to be a pest and ask one or two more...
my thermometer is reading at 83 degrees F, i had a quick feel of the vermiculite
and to me it doesn't feel any higher than room temp?
my digi thermometer probe is right in the center of the incubator just submerged in the vermiculite
am i doing it right?
gmac Posted - 11/04/2012 : 20:33:46
damp moss in the egg box in the incubator will keep the humidity up. Idally you want a steady temp in the incubator set to about 28-29 deg C, Pulse stats are the best for incubators as they wont give you as much fluctuating as you are getting.
kev 5 Posted - 11/04/2012 : 20:22:27
you should really just have spagnum moss in the lay box (no vermiculite). I use perlite in in the incubator box.you submerge the perlite in water for 10-15mins then drain the water. the perlite then keeps the humidity high enougth for the whole incubation period without any more water needing to be added.
ashby_steve Posted - 11/04/2012 : 19:17:18
thanks for the replies :)
Also, does anyone have any tips for keeping the humidity up?
the levels in the incubator are okay at the moment
but just wondered if there's anything to keep it ok for longer as i can't be around all day to check on it?
paulie78 Posted - 11/04/2012 : 19:08:37
quote:
Originally posted by ashby_steve

quote:
Originally posted by paulie78

Cant help with the incubating questions and stuff but just wondering what stat your using as that seems an awfull lot of fluctuation mine only move 1-2 degrees in either direction if the temps arent stable it can cause real problems for the hatchlings eg kinks and deformities

Its called a micro-climate ministat?
perfectly capable of handling the temps, we only set it up this afternoon, could that have anything to do with the amount of flux?

That should be fine mate they do take a lil while to fine tune though always best to set em up before hand and do a dry run if u can obviously thats not always possible i got one of those microclimate stats i find the habistats tend to vary a lot less with the temps
Isoldael Posted - 11/04/2012 : 18:58:15
I guess it depends on your snake's preferences. Mine prefers having it away from the heat source & covered, but maybe yours prefers something else ^^
ashby_steve Posted - 11/04/2012 : 18:54:35
quote:
Originally posted by Isoldael

Is the hole in the nesting box big enough? Have you tried moving the nesting box around different parts of the viv? All of that might help to make her feel comfortable in that place. I don't know if all corns do, but mine keeps going in and out of the nesting bucket whenever she's on the move ^^

its sat half over the heat mat, as it happens she's inside it at the moment since i've taken off the whole lid and covered it over with an artificial plant, is that ok?
ashby_steve Posted - 11/04/2012 : 18:53:07
quote:
Originally posted by paulie78

Cant help with the incubating questions and stuff but just wondering what stat your using as that seems an awfull lot of fluctuation mine only move 1-2 degrees in either direction if the temps arent stable it can cause real problems for the hatchlings eg kinks and deformities

Its called a micro-climate ministat?
perfectly capable of handling the temps, we only set it up this afternoon, could that have anything to do with the amount of flux?
Isoldael Posted - 11/04/2012 : 18:49:28
Is the hole in the nesting box big enough? Have you tried moving the nesting box around different parts of the viv? All of that might help to make her feel comfortable in that place. I don't know if all corns do, but mine keeps going in and out of the nesting bucket whenever she's on the move ^^
paulie78 Posted - 11/04/2012 : 18:48:47

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000