The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Should I let them...? *advice needed please*

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tony81 Posted - 04/03/2012 : 17:03:40
Hiya,
I have a 2 and a half year old male miami corn and an 18 month old okeetee female corn (living in separate vivs). They have both been really agitated recently, exhibitng 'wanting to breed' behaviour (she keeps jerking around and is desperate to get into his viv, and he gets his penises out and is similarly jerky whenever he sees her!!)
My question is, should I just let them do it? Would anything come of it (pardon the pun!), or could it be dangerous for her cuz shes still quite young; bearing in mind theyre both 3 foot long and quite fat. Neither of them have been cooled, so would it produce fertilised eggs or not...?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Okeetee Mick Posted - 18/03/2012 : 09:04:33
I think that answers your question Tony, it's a resounding NO
QueenVic Posted - 17/03/2012 : 10:41:43
It would be an unnecessary risk in my opinion.
Give it a year or two, its not worth risking your female. Egg binding is more common in smaller snakes..
eeji Posted - 04/03/2012 : 19:29:26
if she's 'quite fat' then she isn't healthy enough.
Mamma Posted - 04/03/2012 : 18:42:43
it would be completely irresponsible for anyone to let them breed at this age, there could be the chance of 'egg-bound' and health probs etc etc... but surely the snakes health is more important than taking the chance xx
kev 5 Posted - 04/03/2012 : 17:59:26
agreed way too young.
kdlang Posted - 04/03/2012 : 17:34:05
If you put them together then they would almost certainly mate and produce eggs. I would weigh her before you even consider putting them together as if she is under 300g then it is a big no-no. Personally since she is young I wouldn't do it anyway but that is my personal opinion. If you do put them together then you need to understand all the possible complications of breeding including eggbinding which can involve very expensive vet bills (we are talking hundreds of pounds) and possible death of your female. Once the eggs are produced you can decide whether to incubate them or freeze them, which means that they will not develope into baby snakes. If you incubate them then you need to prepare yourself for problems with incubation, the resulting stress to yourself and possible deformaties of the babies. All being well, and the babies are all healthy then you have to be prepared for non-feeders and the time consuming job of assist or force feeding. If you are lucky enough to avoid all those problems and have a good healthy clutch of hatchlings, all feeding well, you then have to find room to keep and money to feed possibly 20-30 babies. Then you have to find homes for them all. Unless your snakes have any hets then you are only likely to produce normals which you will be lucky to sell at £10 a piece.

I'm not talking from experience only from what I have read. Lots of people breed with no problems but I do believe that if you are going to go into it then you have to understand and be prepared for all that can go wrong.
Auld Baldy Posted - 04/03/2012 : 17:21:49
They are both far too young and undersized to be allowed to mate. Letting 'nature take its course' would put the female at risk of all sorts of problems including possibly killing it.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000