The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 best age and sizr to breed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sue2012 Posted - 03/02/2012 : 14:20:31
ok i have had corns for about 6 years and never till this year was thinking about breeding i want to know what u think is the best size age and weight to breed my corns i dont want to put any of my snakes to breed if they are to small or not old enough thankls all
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sue2012 Posted - 04/02/2012 : 21:09:19
i like to think all my snakes have a good home lol people do tend to rush in to thing and think its i good way to make a quick buck but in the long run its not :)
tordyjo Posted - 04/02/2012 : 17:07:00
Thats great news you have potential homes and you know all the pro's and con's, far too often people breed their animals without any thought at all. Sounds like she has a good home x
eeji Posted - 03/02/2012 : 19:13:22
everyone always talks about minimum sizes, but also remember the chances of problems occurring (often fatal to the female) increase greatly with overweight and/or unhealthy snakes, and also bigger healthy girls are at increased risk.
kdlang Posted - 03/02/2012 : 16:17:37
Although the minimum requirement is 300g I personally think they should be bigger. My female last year was just over 300g when she laid a batch of slugs. She rapidly dropped below 300g during laying and had a difficult time laying them all and she only laid 13. Some snakes lay clutches of 30 eggs and then go on to double clutch so you can imagine how much this takes out of the poor girls.
tordyjo Posted - 03/02/2012 : 14:54:31
the general rule of thumb is the 3 3's, 3 years of age, 300g and 3 feet long, although this is the minimum, have you thought about all the pro's and cons of breeding.

Have you homes or poetential homes for all the hatchlings, enough equipment to house the hatchlings till they are sold/given away, are you prepared for potential vet costs if your female becomes egg bound and the in the worst case the loss of your female.

I don't want to put you off, i may consider breeding myself in the future when mine are big enough, just want to make sure you've looked at everything and without trying to sound offish by having to ask minimum sizes it sounds like you haven't. If you'd read about breeding (and there's loads of threads on this forum) the information is definately there.

good luck with your venture

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000