The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 breeding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
burton2236 Posted - 24/01/2012 : 00:11:09
could a breeder please give me some advice on how to breed my corn snake his around 5 years old and almost 6 foot long soo please help me out and also could i breed him with any bred of corn snake??
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
marc_sg Posted - 24/01/2012 : 14:21:41
quote:
Originally posted by burton2236

shes around 4 foot and 4 years old, just over 300g, yes please could you send me a step by step please

i put a post up with pics for you.

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21630
yola Posted - 24/01/2012 : 11:48:25
I totally agree with kdlang. Youve got to be prepared for hicups, and especially how your female will cope with carrying, laying, recovering and then the possibility of her double clutching, no one can foresee this happining and your female has got to be a good weight and be feeding again well after laying to beable to cope with the stress of possibley laying another clutch, if shes not of a good weight and lays another clutch you could very well lose her.
Also you need to prepare for having non feeding babies, do you have the patience and time to cope with non feeding hatchlings? do you know how to deal with non feeding hatchlings?
Its not just a case of putting a male and female corn togeather, youv got to be totally prepared for the eggs, the looking after the female and every eventuality good and bad that comes with breeding corns.
Personly id wait till next year when your fully prepared and have reserched fully on breeding corns and most importantly your female is of a better weight to beable to cope with everything she will be going throu
kdlang Posted - 24/01/2012 : 07:19:04
Before you begin breeding please consider if you are going to be able to find homes for possibly up to 30 babysnakes. If you are only going to be producing normals they can be tricky to sell on. Have a look on the classifieds and in local pet shops at what is available and how well they are selling. Will you be able to look after all the snakes for an indeterminate time until they sell. Will you have room to house them as they get bigger?

Please also consider if you have the funds available for emergency vet treatment if your female has any problems. If she becomes eggbound and requires surgery you are looking at a vet bill of several hundred pounds. Are you also prepared to deal with any hatchlings that are born with deformaties or health issues.

Breeding season is an exciting time so if you go ahead, good luck and enjoy it but please make sure you are prepared for any eventuality.
burton2236 Posted - 24/01/2012 : 01:25:13
shes around 4 foot and 4 years old, just over 300g, yes please could you send me a step by step please
marc_sg Posted - 24/01/2012 : 00:47:27
oh and sorry. yeah u can try its as and when their ready so no harm in trying how old is the female and her length and weight
marc_sg Posted - 24/01/2012 : 00:46:22
polystyrene box thermostate heat mat i use two one each side plastic boxes a digital thermo and hydromter and vermiculite. i will send u a step by step on how i made mine
burton2236 Posted - 24/01/2012 : 00:43:33
could i start breeding mine now then??? what would i need to make my own incubator??
marc_sg Posted - 24/01/2012 : 00:42:09
mine are breeding now and have been for the last two weeks i put them together for a day and then give them a 3 day break. then the first clutch will be hatch end of april beginning of may. normally from when the first egg splits the next 48 tp 72 hours are theost excitided time. not knowing whats coming out next. to make your own incubator it cost around 50 tops.
burton2236 Posted - 24/01/2012 : 00:36:48
thank you ever so much thats really helpful!! whens the best time of year to do it?? ive been reading up and it says in march but not everything on the internet is true
marc_sg Posted - 24/01/2012 : 00:33:56
u can breed any morph of corn snake together.. what i do is i get a spray bottle with slightly warm water and spray the viv to raise humidity. then i generally put the male in the females viv. the male is less likely to get distracted. and basixally the do the rest. one or the other will start julting up and down against the other then the male will massage the females back whilst placing his bits into the vent of the female which is the vent at the top of the tail. the mine averagely take 6 to 8 weeks after mating till she goes into her post natual shed.this is when you should put the nest box in. she'll use it to shed but also she'll remember it as safe when she needs to lay the eggs. then a couple of weeks after you'll get the eggs. then around 60 days in the incubator at 82°f and 90 to 100% humidity. then they cut thru the egg shell with their egg tooth. dont pull them out they can sit here for a couple of days till their ready to come out

its brilliant eperience i may have missed somw thing but thats the general cycle

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000