The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Breaking the cycle - breeders advice needed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kdlang Posted - 13/01/2012 : 22:35:17
I'm not sure if any of you remember but I had a worrying time last year when Connie decided to lay a clutch of slugs, taking her almost 2 weeks to lay them all. It was her second year in a row of laying a clutch despite having never been mated.

I read on a breeders website once that they had paired up a female (admittedly it was a different type of snake than a corn) as she had history of laying despite having never been with a male and they were hoping to break the cycle. I was just wondering what peoples views were on it.

I wasn't planning on breeding this year as I haven't really got time for a load of babies but there is nothing to say I have to incubate any eggs that she lays. Is it worth giving it a go or shall I leave her this year and see if she does it again. Even if she does lay an infertile clutch again she might not have the same problems as last year as she is bigger and I know what to watch out for. But I don't really want to watch her go through it every year for nothing if I can break the cycle now. What do you think? (thats if I even make sense with all my waffling)
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kdlang Posted - 14/01/2012 : 11:55:08
Thanks Mike, you're a star
mikerichards Posted - 14/01/2012 : 09:58:25
its hard to know when shes gonna lay if she hasnt been with a male!! I would start now, just lightly dust the mice she has.
She shouldnt struggle at her size, but its best to give her the best possible chance.
kdlang Posted - 13/01/2012 : 23:43:11
Thanks Mike thats a great help. I think part of the problem last year was that a) she wasn't quite 300g when she laid and b) I didn't even expect eggs or see any signs of them until she started laying and I just wasn't prepared so probably stressed her out during the laying process.
She is bigger now, around 400g, so I hope if she does lay she will be better able to cope and I will know to look out for signs and have the correct laybox in for her.
When should I start getting more calcium into her and whats the best way to do it? Dusting with powder?
mikerichards Posted - 13/01/2012 : 23:13:34
If you really never want to breed her, and you think she is in a position to potentially be a danger to herself, then the best and most effective solution would be to get her snipped, that way it is then impossible for her to produce eggs, and impossible for her to get eggbound.
Failing that, you could mate her, but then you are pretty much guaranteeing that she WILL lay eggs, whilst right now she only MAY lay eggs.
To give her the best chance, make sure you load her up with calcium, thats the main issue with producing eggs, especially every year, lots of eggs deplete a mother snakes calcium levels quite low, potentially enough that even though the whole egg laying process doesnt kill her, the end result could.
The other danger as well, is double clutching, if they refuse to feed inbetween clutches, that can do some serious harm, producing one clutch is bad, two is really really bad!

If i was you, i wouldnt mate her up, leave her, see what happens, if she does lay another infertile clutch, then i would look into sterilising her, even if you dont have problems this year, if you do have problems, then the vet is likely to do it anyway whilst hes digging the stuck eggs out!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000