The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Related breeding?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ReptileTom Posted - 06/12/2011 : 23:36:12
I'm just wondering, because I have heard that it can be done with other species of snake, can you breed two corns from the same clutch?

This is just a random question and I am not yet breeding, so I just want to clear it up.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eeji Posted - 08/12/2011 : 17:20:10
'inbreeding problems' work exactly the same in any living organism, even plants.

The problems all come down to genetics. If there is some problem that is simple recessive (just as amel is) then inbreeding increases the chances of both parents passing that recessive gene to their children which would make it homozygous (visual). A slightly different scenario is if a problem is polygenic (a cumulative result of many different genes, just as zigzag is) then inbreeding gives an increased chance of the problem trait being inherited and intensified.

Notice in the above examples there is also a morph named in brackets. Sometimes inbreeding is necessary to recover recessive morphs as visuals or to increase the effect of selectively bred morphs.

hannah2016 Posted - 08/12/2011 : 16:19:15
im not sure, i just always think of inbreeding and the deformations that some animals and humans come out with. you cant really deform a snake that much i guess but what about snakes with 2 heads and stuff like that. can that be an outcome of inbreeding of snakes?? or can that come normally anyway?
eeji Posted - 08/12/2011 : 12:15:59
what kind of 'inbreeding problems' are you talking about?
yola Posted - 07/12/2011 : 23:13:06
Yes you can.
From my understanding Cathy Love (the lady that done the corn snake book) done alot of inbreeding to establish colours and morphs, I dont think she ever had any problem. You can breed brother to sister, son to mum, dad to daughter.
It may seem wrong to us but they do it in the wild
Simmy_82 Posted - 07/12/2011 : 08:39:40
There is the potential for inbreed problems. There always is. He asked if he could breed them, which the answer is yes you can, but there are risks.

I found this with a simple google search...

http://www.vmsherp.com/LCInbreeding.htm

EDIT: Also found this using the search on this forum...

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=0.65&TOPIC_ID=16583&
hannah2016 Posted - 07/12/2011 : 08:01:52
what and there'd be no inbreed problems??
gmac Posted - 06/12/2011 : 23:47:54
yes you can.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000