The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Breeding Ethics??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lotsofsmoggies Posted - 21/10/2011 : 14:58:05
I've been a member of several forums before and all most all have been animal ones and virtually all against breeding. Now on here I notice the opposite. Any reason why? Don't want to start a fight but just a ponder....

On to my original thoughts and questions. I'm looking to breeding a few years down the line, but I don't just want to breed and hope I'd like to breed a certain colour combo. I've been reading on the genetic side of things and I have a fair grasp of the basics of what is what. But is this a good plan to buy in young babies with the het to what I want to make in the future? I'm not into making money or anything like that, as I know those who profit from breeding couldn't give two monkeys on their animals. I do.

Any useful input, links, advice, opinion welcomed.

Sorry its a bit rambling, just typing as I think.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eeji Posted - 21/10/2011 : 21:47:23
its good that you don't expect to make money from breeding corns because unless you hatch out a good few hundred decent morphs each year (and manage to sell them) it will never make you rich.

Breeding the lower end morphs is getting more and more pointless now because it is simply too easy and everyone seems to be having a try which is saturating the market and making it very difficult to sell them.

You have the right idea with starting out with animals that a) you like, and b) will give you what you want rather than adding to the problem of too many 'common' morphs.

I myself have decided to cut right back on breeding and as a result this year only had two clutches to test possible hets. Unfortunately one clutch totally died off in the incubator and the other proved the hets were not there and I ended up with basic morphs which are not selling at all.
gingerpony Posted - 21/10/2011 : 20:52:15
i think if it was a straight forward op for snakes to get neutered (like smallies) then a lot of veterinary professionals would recommend it. also if they went for routine vaccs then your average snake-owner would probably get the neutering talk
as neither happen with reptiles people's views on breeding are different
snakes are generally cheaper than pedigree cats or dogs (depending of course on exact species or morph) and it's very easy to get a male and female, pair them up and see what happens, just about anybody can become a 'hobby breeder' and i include myself in that term.
i breed on a very small scale, pairing only one or two pairs of corns a year as my concern is moving the hatchies on to appropriate homes asap - i hate dealing with hatchies lol and have limited time available to care for 100s
this coming year will be my first time breeding my boas and although i've got several potential breeding pairs again, my concern is being stuck with a load of babies i can't sell or move on soon enough, so i'll have to choose carefully!
one of the boa pairs i will be breeding will be a brother and sister together, hopefully to prove that their morph is genetic (this is the way new morphs are created and proved before outcrossing), although inbreeding in most cases is totally avoidable and i'd advocate breeding snakes of different lines/genes to try to prevent hereditary or congenital problems
c00ki3z Posted - 21/10/2011 : 18:47:53
As long as it's not inbreeding... I do want to breed maybe someday myself, maybe attempt to create something interesting, as long as it is not harmful to my snake, it's just like me getting pregnant.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000