The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 A shocking discovery

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Vixyg Posted - 25/06/2011 : 10:22:01
I have just recieved an email from the person I bought chilli from after 3 weeks of having her he has decided to tell me he put her with his male a few weeks before he sold her to me! He conveniently forgot to mention this when i bought her. Now im worried that she is gravid and i have not a clue what to do if she is and what to do if she lays a clutch! How long is it after mating that they lay? and how can i tell if she is gravid??? and most importantly what on earth do i do if she lays a load of eggs?????

As if feeding pooing and shedding wasnt enough to worry about!

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
stotty01 Posted - 03/07/2011 : 19:32:56
can always get your rep shop to incubate them for you if they can :)
Vixyg Posted - 03/07/2011 : 09:32:36
Thats what i will do K if any appear but i dont think she is gravid. :o)
Kehhlyr Posted - 03/07/2011 : 03:36:58
quote:
Originally posted by Vixyg

thankyou, i will keep an eye on her. I really hope she isnt gravid though! im not ready for snake babies! :o)

Then freeze them.
You wont be freezing any embryos or part developed eggs if that's what you're worrying about.
When they are laid they are not much more than what is similar to chicken eggs that you'd get from the supermarket. Just a jelly type white with a yolk.
Freezing them would be better than trying to incubate unprepared.
Vixyg Posted - 02/07/2011 : 22:17:14
Braintree, in between chelmsford and colchester. She shed last week and still no signs of any eggs, cant feel anything different at all or anything so im thinking i may be lucky!
stotty01 Posted - 02/07/2011 : 21:15:33
quote:

I hate the idea of destroying them if she lays, but equally i dont have the facilities or knowledge to keep them. Unless anyone not too far away would like to take them and hatch them (I'm in essex). Im expecting her to shed within the next few days. Is there any particular signs that i would see if she is gravid?

where in essex?
Only1Nitro Posted - 02/07/2011 : 20:58:09
if im not mistaken and correct me if i am wrong could she retain till next year?
mikerichards Posted - 26/06/2011 : 00:51:34
what a moron, fancy doing that. if i was you i would assume that this is her pre lay shed, timing is spot on for that. you need to acertain whether you want to keep them or not, unexpected eggs dont always turn in to unwanted babies, and there is also the chance that she wont lay that many, but i would expect atleast 20. If you want to incubate, you need a poly box, heat mat dimmer stat and digi thermometer. the rest is more or less optional. as long as you keep the temps at about 28, and the humidity about 100% you will be fine. there are a number of guides on here as to how to set up an incubator, its actually really easy to incubate and hatch corns, so dont panic about it.
should you decide not to incubate, then just put them straight into the freezer, the first 48 hours the eggs do nothing, there is not sentient life, so you are not hurting anything.
ptmbradley Posted - 26/06/2011 : 00:15:26
quote:

I hate the idea of destroying them if she lays, but equally i dont have the facilities or knowledge to keep them. Unless anyone not too far away would like to take them and hatch them (I'm in essex).

If you can't manage incubation/hatching/first feeds etc you could always speak to your local rep shops who may or may not be willing to take them off your hands if and when she lays. Can't believe you weren't told!! Hope it all works out.
Vixyg Posted - 25/06/2011 : 23:27:34
well she has just this minute shed. so heres hoping theres no eggs in the next couple of weeks!
Mnementh Posted - 25/06/2011 : 23:07:01
quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

One thing I will say is she may not go off her food. When Connie surprised me with some eggs she had eaten as normal only a few days before. Keep a look out for her being more active as well which is a sign she is looking for somewhere to lay

Yeah she may not , but that could depend on how many eggs , my girl was carrying 32 eggs so she would'nt eat........one more wafer thin mint :)
kdlang Posted - 25/06/2011 : 22:17:55
One thing I will say is she may not go off her food. When Connie surprised me with some eggs she had eaten as normal only a few days before. Keep a look out for her being more active as well which is a sign she is looking for somewhere to lay
Vixyg Posted - 25/06/2011 : 20:59:31
thanks gmac, i will get one ready for her :o)
gmac Posted - 25/06/2011 : 20:58:17
on the chance she is gravid I suggest adding in a moss hide for her anyway after her next shed, whether you are keeping the eggs or not, the hide is for her benefit as will raise the humidity for her to lay easier
Vixyg Posted - 25/06/2011 : 20:53:45
shes just over 2 and a half but is 3ft long. Im really hoping they didnt as its just more unnecessary stress for her. I cant see why he would of put her with a male if he was going to sell her anyway! ive had a feel all along and i dont feel anything at all out of shape. Shes been moving about quite a bit more than usual today so think she may shed soon and some of her skin is a bit rough. so hopefully all will be revealed in the next couple of weeks one way or another!
lotabob Posted - 25/06/2011 : 20:28:36
I can't remember Chilli (old age) is she of breeding size, (rule of 3, three years old, 3 feet long). I can't believe he 'forgot' to tell you, what an idiot. I would be in the stick any unwanted eggs in the freezer camp, unwanted eggs become unwanted snakes and there are already far too many on the market, just my opinion though. Hopefully they didn't do the deed and you've nothing to worry about.

EDIT: Just looked at the pictures you posted, she is just about of breeding size so eggs shouldn't cause a problem, just keep an eye on her and have a plan if eggs appear.
Vixyg Posted - 25/06/2011 : 19:06:35
thankyou, i will keep an eye on her. I really hope she isnt gravid though! im not ready for snake babies! :o)
Mnementh Posted - 25/06/2011 : 19:00:37
Basically , look out for the pre lay shed , she will probably go off her food , no room left in there :)

If you let her glide through your hands ,hold her with one hand to steady her , place your fingers on the other hand central to her tummy as she is sliding over them , you may feel any eggs present .
Vixyg Posted - 25/06/2011 : 18:55:29
I hate the idea of destroying them if she lays, but equally i dont have the facilities or knowledge to keep them. Unless anyone not too far away would like to take them and hatch them (I'm in essex). Im expecting her to shed within the next few days. Is there any particular signs that i would see if she is gravid?
Mnementh Posted - 25/06/2011 : 18:33:22
Before anyone can help we need to know:

a) If you get eggs are you keeping them .

b) If you get eggs are you destroying them .

Then we can help depending on what you are after :)

About 2 months after mating the female will shed. About 9 to 11 day later she will lay the eggs. Mine was a bit longer at exactly 14 days .

I put a lay box in with moss days before she is due so she gets used tom the box in the viv.
Remove eggs from moss within 24 hours as some people believe moss is acidic and can damage the eggs.
Others use moss throughout the incubation period .
Vixyg Posted - 25/06/2011 : 15:26:49
thanks gmac :o) anyone got any help for me???

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000