The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Inbreeding, yay or nay?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
QueenVic Posted - 09/05/2011 : 22:48:55
What are peoples oppinions? I have heard that it is bad as it 'concentrates bad genes' but it seems that it would create better morphs.
What problems, if any, does it cause?

If anyone could explain the genetics side id appriciate that too.
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
FiestaSTLou Posted - 28/05/2011 : 00:57:04
aww right i understand, thank u :)
gingerpony Posted - 27/05/2011 : 11:04:44
it is to do with the nervous system but the fact that all spiders show this trait to varying degrees is down to inbreeding
FiestaSTLou Posted - 27/05/2011 : 09:49:11
Ooo id like to know about the royal spider morph wobble, when we got our spider, royal morphs did point out the wobble which was quite bad at the time, but shes so much more steadier now, i was told it was to do with the nerve system and not imbreading, but curious to know if it is down to imbreeding tho.
Only1Nitro Posted - 27/05/2011 : 00:33:38
bless the poor things
eeji Posted - 27/05/2011 : 00:13:38
quote:
Originally posted by Only1Nitro

dumb question here

what is the stargazer gene?

cue the abuse lol

no need for abuse, its a perfectly good question: http://iansvivarium.com/morphs/species/elaphe_guttata/stargazer/
Only1Nitro Posted - 26/05/2011 : 23:57:48
dumb question here

what is the stargazer gene?

cue the abuse lol
Adsclarke Posted - 21/05/2011 : 14:12:04
Unfortunately this happens a lot. We've seen a number of "big" breeders come and go when they realise that there is not actually much money to be made from breeding and selling. Unfortunately things like this happen along the way :(

We're in the process of test breeding all our sunkissed animals for the stargazer gene.

Cheers
Ads
QueenVic Posted - 20/05/2011 : 15:27:35
Thats not cool...
It's a shame that some people are more bothered about the money or whatever than the actual snakes.
Madness.
eeji Posted - 11/05/2011 : 18:35:24
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

Is things like Stargazers and wobblehead royals caused or partially caused by this??

i don't know a thing about royals, but stargazing corns I do. That is genetic and recessive so behaves like any other recessive morphs. As far as I know it was brought into captive collections from a wild caught individual, most likely het stargazer. For that het to become homozygous without the tall odds of breeding to another w/c het animal then inbreeding will have to have been done.

The scary thing is that a 'certain well known US breeder that has recently retired' knew they had SG in some of their sunkissed animals yet still bred them to everything in a bid to be 'first' with new combinations and encouraged others to do the same. After their retirement all the stock was sold off at good prices so SG will be rearing its head in more and more collections in the coming years.
Kehhlyr Posted - 10/05/2011 : 22:52:29
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

........the 'concentrating bad genes' bit means there is more chance of recessive heterozygous 'bad stuff' becoming homozygous and also polygenetic 'bad traits' becoming more apparent. This applies to anything breedable, be it corns, humans, plants, anything at all.

Question about this to all who know:
Is things like Stargazers and wobblehead royals caused or partially caused by this??

quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

....and that's why there's laws to prevent people inbreeding

But it's cheaper though. Buying a present for my dad and my uncle at christmas means I only have to buy 1.

gingerpony Posted - 10/05/2011 : 20:48:50
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

This applies to anything breedable, be it corns, humans, plants, anything at all.

and that's why there's laws to prevent people inbreeding
eeji Posted - 09/05/2011 : 23:39:24
yay for a few generations IF you are starting a new line from unrelated parents, then out cross once the desired genes have been recovered.

the 'concentrating bad genes' bit means there is more chance of recessive heterozygous 'bad stuff' becoming homozygous and also polygenetic 'bad traits' becoming more apparent. This applies to anything breedable, be it corns, humans, plants, anything at all.
gingerpony Posted - 09/05/2011 : 23:12:17
it is an essential part of creating new morphs.........
but for hobbyist breeders wanting to produce low-end/common morphs it's unneccesary IMO as there's so many corns out there there's simply no need to inbreed

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000