The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 How long can eggs stay in vivarium

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
simonw Posted - 07/04/2011 : 06:18:14
I am going away for the weekend and am anxious as my female is going into her pre-lay shed at the moment. I'm worried that she'll lay while I'm away.

Question is, if she does lay, then will the eggs be okay in the viv for a couple of days. I've got a stated heat mat in there but it doesn't warm a moist lay box too well and I'm worried the eggs will be too cold.

Thanks in advance

Simon
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
vetdebbie Posted - 07/04/2011 : 22:15:02
can you not just ask the person looking after the other animals to put a lid on the lay box and put the whole thing in the incubator? That's what we do. You can then move the eggs if you desire into another container on your return.
gingerpony Posted - 07/04/2011 : 21:49:09
my anery motley lays within hours of her pre-lay shed!
there's no timeline set in stone but fingers crossed she hold them in till you're back home!!
keep us posted
paulc Posted - 07/04/2011 : 21:03:15
if she has just had her pre-lay shed she wont have her eggs for at least a week, so you will be ok to leave her for the weekend.
I use compost in my laying boxes, eggs layed in this will keep ok for quite some time.
simonw Posted - 07/04/2011 : 18:51:24
Thanks for the reply.

That's a very good idea, I have all the components, but I better set up the incubator tonight.

She has now finished shedding and is parading around her viv, finally coming to rest in the moist lay box.
Yes, someone will be feeding the rabbits and mice, and can probably look at the snakes, but I wouldn't trust them to transfer the eggs to the incubator.

Hopefully she'll wait until Monday.
gingerpony Posted - 07/04/2011 : 13:57:40
depends entirely on where she lays them

a warm damp laying box MAY well be enough for the full incubation period, BUT if she lays them on the heatmat or another obscure place it could be a matter of hours!

is there anyone who could check on her for you?
might be worth plugging in the incubator and getting it up to a stabilised temp

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000