The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Brumation

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 09/01/2011 : 20:09:54
I have a 3 and a half old female corn snake, she's about 3ft, is in a glass tank (converted fish tank). Over the last couple of months she has stopped feeding as much, every 3 weeks rather than every week - 2. Over the last 4/5 weeks she has refused feeds all together.
I have noticed she has favoured the cooler end of her tank. I decided to put the heat mat in the cooler end so the hot end is now the cool end (if that makes sence - i switched the areas around) She moved her self to the cooler area....

Just makes me think that maybe she knows its time for burmation??

If not please, any advice would be great!
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mikerichards Posted - 19/01/2011 : 20:20:14
Although it is a little late for self brumation, its still entirely possible. If the temps were too hot, then she would most likely still feed without a problem. the fact that she is preferring the cool end, and not eating, points to late self brumation.
theres nothing to worry about, and very little you can do about it, she will bring herself out when she is ready.
Its possible that her previous owner was a late last minute brumater, and she has picked that habit. she wouldnt be the first to do it.
lee2308 Posted - 18/01/2011 : 17:35:59
what are the temps and how are you measuring them?If the temps are ok i would just leave her as its that time of year,also keep a eye on her weight.
baitman Posted - 17/01/2011 : 21:49:15
turn the stat down a couple of degrees, it may be too warm for her....
n/a Posted - 10/01/2011 : 16:13:28
No other changes at all. Thats why i'm slightly worried.
I'll keep offering her food and she how she goes.
Cheers!
simonw Posted - 09/01/2011 : 22:23:40
Some snakes do try to self-brumate by finding the coolest spot and hiding away inactively. The fact that she's eating infrequently means that she cannot properly brumate as it would not be cold enough, so her body functions are still carrying on. If it were cold enough she would not eat at all.

I don't think it's anything to worry about...especially as eeji has said it would be too late to fully brumate her now. I reckon in a couple of weeks she'll be back roaming around. I'm certainly going to start warming mine up soon, but my largest male self-brumated about a week before I shut the heat off last week of Oct, and I expect he'll show me when he wants warming up again, before I start.

On another note are you still feeding the same prey item / size? Any other changes?
n/a Posted - 09/01/2011 : 21:06:35
Mmmm - what could be wrong then?
eeji Posted - 09/01/2011 : 20:56:03
its a bit late for brumation, most corns are starting to be warmed up ready for breeding now. Early November is the 'usual' time for starting.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000