The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Your views on breeding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Invalid User Posted - 04/01/2011 : 16:44:48
I have noticed quite a few members lately asking about breeding and just wondered what you all think about this?

I know from other forums I have been on (dog and cat ones) that breeding just for the sake of it, eg to see what you will get, is all ways frowned upon.

Is it different with snakes? Do you think anyone should give it a go as long as they do the research?

I know that snakes can produce a large number of offspring so what happens if you can't find new homes for all of them? Are there such things as snake rescue centers.

Not having a pop at anyone here, I am just interested to find out what the general opinion is. I know I wont ever breed my snakes. Looks too much like hard work lol

Discuss
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jonoandapril Posted - 15/01/2011 : 12:48:11
i think if people are fully clued up on what they are letting themselves in for and have an 'escape plan' for the maximum amount of hatchies they could end up with then its ok to breed for the experience. im not going to breed for the cash but for the experience and if i cant sell the hatchies im more than prepared to keep them and enjoy them all to myself!
eeji Posted - 05/01/2011 : 21:40:30
re. breeding for profit, there are an awful lot of 'cheapish' royal python morph imports coming into the UK fro the US and there are a lot of people jumping on the 'quick quid' bandwagon. What some of these people fail to see is that their new exclusive 'superkillerbumblespinlemonpastelblast' isn't exclusive because the same breeder sent over 100 more of them.

give it a few more years and the backside will fall out of royals, just as it has with corns. Eg. three years ago a golddust motley would have cost you hundreds of pounds, these days breeders are lucky to get 50 quid for one
Brookestar Posted - 05/01/2011 : 16:11:47
ive got a pair of vanishing stripes and im purely breeding them this year to see what i end up with so i agree with breeding for research as long as you know what your doing :D
Red123 Posted - 05/01/2011 : 11:58:55
There does not seem to be many if any good breeders round my part of the world. You see the odd adult for sale and sometimes a few hatchlings advertised. The majority of hatchlings seem to be sold to the local pet shop (they had over 30 waiting to be sold in october). To me this means that there are some people breeding near to me purely for the money, its easier to sell them all to the shop in one go than having to advertise them. While pet shops are willing to buy large quantities like that in one go then I guess some people will do it for the money probably not giving the best care and attention to the hatchlings so as to keep their outlay down. I personaly think you need many years experience to breed snakes responsably and you need a good reputation as well. But hey this is just my opinion
lrv2307 Posted - 05/01/2011 : 08:56:24
im quite happy just to be a collector of beautiful snakeys, no matter what the morph
as long as they are healthy (even a stargazer)
being new to snake keeping i wouldnt want the stress of going into breeding lol
Invalid User Posted - 05/01/2011 : 07:53:56
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I guess it's the same as with a lot of breeding projects. If your going into it to make money, think again. I bred rabbits for a few months last year and knew I would not see any profit. Infact like some of you have said with snakes, I made quite a loss. I found that when I moved house 4 months ago, there was just no market here for baby bunnies so stopped.

I did my research first and spoke to breeders with years of experience and it was a great experience for me and my daughter.
Kehhlyr Posted - 05/01/2011 : 02:02:08
Or to save time if anyone wants to experience breeding without going through it, just send me loads of money.
A vast amount of breeders I've spoken to in the past quite often say how it's more costly for them compared to the return on it.

I bred beardies earlier this year and had a bumper harvest from the first batch of eggs, they sold really well.
The second lot was at a massive loss, I had to practically give the beardies away at a loss to myself.

Thankfully I was breeding my beardies for the experience, not the profit. It seems that if you try to breed for profit then a vast amount of people are really gonna be letting themselves down.
I was and still am happy with my results in regards breeding, as to doing it again???? I probably will. IMO experience is more important than making a few quid.
eeji Posted - 04/01/2011 : 22:54:05
back onto the topic before we mutate into the Dark Side.......

I just re-read the original post, and missed this bit...

quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

Do you think anyone should give it a go as long as they do the research?

yes, I think they should. If research is done properly some people may decide its not for them, otherwise all is good :)
simonw Posted - 04/01/2011 : 22:37:44
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

quote:
Originally posted by simonw

I think some people can give it a go, so long as they research (not just on this forum - or you'll just get the same regurgitation someone has read the day before). They hide good information in books still.

We have some of the top breeders in this site and to say anything that is posted with regards to breeding is regurge is nothing short of ludicrous. Yes you will get people posting without vast quantities of knowledge, but you get that everywhere

I do agree however it is worth checking out other sources of information

Absolutely...I'm not referring to people with first hand experience, but to those blindly repeating what they have said...hence regurgitation. And yes, you get it everywhere.
gmac Posted - 04/01/2011 : 22:05:33
quote:
Originally posted by simonw

I think some people can give it a go, so long as they research (not just on this forum - or you'll just get the same regurgitation someone has read the day before). They hide good information in books still.

We have some of the top breeders in this site and to say anything that is posted with regards to breeding is regurge is nothing short of ludicrous. Yes you will get people posting without vast quantities of knowledge, but you get that everywhere

I do agree however it is worth checking out other sources of information
SexyBear77 Posted - 04/01/2011 : 22:03:48
Of course the market is flooded by breeders, herpetology is a professional business for some and a passion for others. If breeding snakes is your business then hobby breeders just have to deal with it.
simonw Posted - 04/01/2011 : 21:42:13
If that looks like I'm having a go at anyone here then I apologise...as I am not.
simonw Posted - 04/01/2011 : 21:36:25
I shall be hoping to breed a couple of my snakes this year. It is a big commitment, but the rewards of going through the process will outweigh the costs. My kids have enjoyed the mouse breeding project and are sure to get something from the snake breeding - especially their own little snake each! Also I've had 2 of my snakes for over 11 years and I think it's only fair on them.

Having said that there are some people who should not. There are some people who should not have kids but that doesn't stop them.

I think it's unfair that the market is flooded by mass producing breeders, as it should stay a hobby rather than a business, but that's just my opinion. Having said that I love watching snakebytestv on youtube :P

stotty01 Posted - 04/01/2011 : 20:46:00
quote:

As I put in my op, I dont want to do it lol

yeah i know was just saying if people are doing it for money they should just think about these aspects before doing it
eeji Posted - 04/01/2011 : 19:58:07
if anyone wants to breed purely for profit, then cornsnakes are the wrong species and they are breeding for the wrong reasons.

I think its such a shame that the market is driven by the latest and greatest morphs which means the 'normals' are getting such a rough deal from it all.

Last year I was very close to selling all the morphs I had (except my first ever snake, an amel!) and concentrating purely on high quality locality cornsnakes bu something came up and I ended up with lots of tasty projects.
This may even happen some time in the future because I have neither the cash or the desire to be the 'first' to make a new morph combination.

Breeding snakes is a big commitment, things can and do go wrong (I too lost a female eggbound last season)
Invalid User Posted - 04/01/2011 : 19:55:22
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

quote:

My answer wasn't aimed at you, just at readers in general

Sorry, should have used a quote, not you mate, was replying to stotty
SexyBear77 Posted - 04/01/2011 : 19:44:39
quote:

My answer wasn't aimed at you, just at readers in general
Invalid User Posted - 04/01/2011 : 19:43:32
stotty01 Posted - 04/01/2011 : 19:34:35
i think everyone wants to do it but just wants a impressive selection :) you just gota consider what to do with them once they hatched?

will your rep shop be full and not want any?
what will happen with ones that are not eating?
will you even make a profit after food/heating etc

it is a big commitment so dont go willy nilling :)
SexyBear77 Posted - 04/01/2011 : 16:57:55
I bred my snakes for the knowledge and experience I would gain from doing so, knowing I would not produce any fab morphs. Despite my best efforts, it went horribly wrong and my female died with 16 eggs inside her. The three she laid on her own hatched fine, all normals- but I have only managed to sell one of the them. The other is in a museum at my expense and the third lives with me.

I will be breeding again in the future, but only to produce morphs which there is a market for. If I do produce normals they will be from a pewter x hypo het. amel, anery, charcoal ph lavender pairing with the intention of keeping a male charcoal het diffused and breeding him back to his mum to produce pewters.

I think too many people see the potential clutch sizes, get the pound signs in their eyes and just go for it regardless of all the cons. The market is saturated with corns atm produced by experienced breeders providing quality examples of morphs. I would certainly advise against breeding for normals unless you really know what you are getting yourself into.

Also, I would urge all breeders-to-be to bear in mind that things can go wrong and you can end uo with hefty vets bills to pay should things go awry.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000