The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Heat sources for incubator?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
AngelX Posted - 23/07/2010 : 21:40:41
Sorry for ANOTHER post but I am trying to work out what I need for my hatchlings and I was wondering on whether or not a heat cable would be suitable for heating an incubator, not sure if this is a stupid question. But if a heat cable would be alright then I would like to not buy a heat mat. Even though heat mats aren't expensive it's just all the little things that add up!!
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
AngelX Posted - 27/07/2010 : 21:37:16
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

Or use one heatstrip and one stat?

also if you do use cables, you know the first 1/3th of the length is duff and doesnt heat up?

Would there be a heatstrip long enough? I'm guessing that's just a long heat mat? (New to snake keeping as you can probably guess!) Because I heard that heat mats work best and most affectively with touch?

And about the duff heat cable bit, if the cable was long enough, would that really matter?

Tahh for the advise! xx
AngelX Posted - 27/07/2010 : 21:33:02
Okk thanks Mike! Didn't know that at all!! Well, heatmats don't cost much at all so wouldn't make much of a difference to my budget!
mikerichards Posted - 27/07/2010 : 14:05:20
Heat cable tends to get quite hot, and that heat is very isolated compared to a heatmat, and cables are very adept at melting through poly boxes! Heat cable is good, but I wouldn't use it on anything polystyrene, once it starts to melt, its entirely possible that it can catch fire too.
I used cable on poly slabs, it left scorch marks, and that was 50 watt and statted.
I would use a heatmat, the heat distribution is nice and even as well.
hillzi Posted - 27/07/2010 : 14:00:38
Good point

Or use one heatstrip and one stat?

also if you do use cables, you know the first 1/3th of the length is duff and doesnt heat up?
AngelX Posted - 27/07/2010 : 13:11:28
Yehh but when the eggs hatch buying a heat cable is cheaper than buying lots of heatmats and thermostats!
hillzi Posted - 25/07/2010 : 18:14:04
Surely a heatmats cheaper than a cable though?
AngelX Posted - 25/07/2010 : 18:02:30
Yes that would be great, I know the rough set up, it's just I was wondering if heat cables have he same effect! Would like to see pics!
eeji Posted - 25/07/2010 : 17:28:19
i'll get some pics up once all the eggs have hatched to give an idea of how its all set up (someone will have to remind me I said that!)
AngelX Posted - 25/07/2010 : 13:22:43
Thanke eeji!
eeji Posted - 24/07/2010 : 14:55:18
i use a heatmat in my inc with a pulse stat
AngelX Posted - 24/07/2010 : 09:12:43
Okk, thanks, wasn't sure on whether or not a heat cable would have the same effect as a heat mat or not.
hillzi Posted - 23/07/2010 : 22:04:51
Heatmat, controlled by a pulse stat.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000