The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 How u know if the snake is pregnant?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 05/07/2010 : 00:39:27
I only ask cos one of my snakes has lost its appatite lately and does stuff like climbing up the viv which its never done before, jus wandering if loss of appatite is a sign of pregnant? wnad what are the signs?
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mikerichards Posted - 12/07/2010 : 07:54:42
Good man, glad you actually took the advice and got it sorted, you are right, the forum is good, there is a load of good info on here, and everyone who can, will help you as much as you want to be helped.
How big are the vivs you built? For a single adult corn, 3ftx1ft is plenty, much more than that is not needed.
A lot of people think that because snakes naturally live in a huge environment, they will absolutely need a huge viv. That's wrong, nearly all snakes, corns included don't like having massive open areas, they naturally will feel vulnerable in such a setup, in the wild they would try and avoid open areas as they could fall prey to birds and other animals, so keeping a viv small will help the snake feel more secure in itself.
Breeding wise, your female is too small, you need to keep a close eye on her to make sure she doesn't complicate, just watch for things, anything that doesn't seem normal, mostly when she is ready to lay, anything you are uncertain about, post it here, the worst that can happen is someone saying don't be daft, the best, well that could save the life of your snakes.
There are some really good books out there on corns, my advice is to buy 'the cornsnake' its written by bill and cathy love, its by far the best corn book I have read, avoid the barrons books, the info is old, very basic, and written by people who probably don't keep snakes.
The only thing people will ask of you here, is keep your snakes welfare at the top of your list of priorities, do that and you will not have many problems at all.
Nice one, and good luck
n/a Posted - 12/07/2010 : 00:34:51
Ok guys thanks for all the adivice and I have split them up now didnit cost much jus a a couple extra heat matts cheap off ebay and my fiances brother in law has built extra vivs for me (big ones aswell) im sure they'll b happy with it, turns out she was pregnant she has ten eggs in her and shes now by her self untill she lays where the incubator is awaiting, again thanks for all the advice, and sorry if i ****ed ppl off im still new to all this, but this site is helpin loads
Sta~ple Posted - 11/07/2010 : 10:45:39
Separate set-ups are far more cheaper than vet bills... proper reptile vets are very costly. Get some RUB's or buy/make a viv stack.

You may not also know that they are stressed, it stupidly took me years to figure out my female was stressed because of bad advice and I would hate for you to make the same mistake I made. My girl when in with just one snake used to spends days and days curled up, I would never see there and when she did come out, she would be so hyper, thrashing about the place. Sometimes when I would try and feed her, she wouldn't eat and it always took me great effort for me to make her eat. Now being on her own has improved her so much, I still rarely see her but her eating habits are a lot better. Early breeding is also said to stunt the females growth

Males can also go off food and become very active so it could be male thinking it's breeding season so if there are any girlies in there, I feel sorry for them. If there are any girls in the mix, males could fight amongst each other. They generally mature at 2 years old the males (someone correct me if I am wrong) and females don't really mature until 3 so in a way it's kind of like a 10 year old being pregnant, they can but it's not recommend for health reasons.

Snakes would not care if they are from the same mother or same mother or father. In the wild, they would go there separate ways at birth. Snakes from the same mother will still eat each other, breed with each other and compete with each other.
Kehhlyr Posted - 11/07/2010 : 03:18:00
Just to add to this, it's not only the females that can get damaged.
I've just lost a snake due to an infected vent which came around from PLANNED breeding, so the males can get injured or die as well.

This was what was used as a 'hide' the only thing soft enough to not cause irritation while having treatment.

This is his vent:

My poor little fella died a few days after these photos were taken, even though he had undergone vet treatment several times.
I still do not know a cheap reptile vet.

/edited for spelling
mikerichards Posted - 05/07/2010 : 20:45:34
Nice one, you have 4 unknown sexed snakes living all together!
To say that it is your risk is unbeleivably naive, unfair and damn selfish, the risk to you is finacial, the risk to the snakes is health, happyness and life.
You need to actually do some research, find out why I am being sh*tty with you, its not usually my style, but you are doing it so wrong, and for the wrong reasons.
Stop doing it how you want, for your own good, and start doing it right for the snakes.
If she is gravid, you wanna hope that it doesn't kill her, and it doesn't leave her egg bound, or she doesn't die because she is not big enough.
You better start saving your pennies too, because if any of the above do happen, which is likely, then its gonna cost you a damn site more than 4 separate setups.

If you think I am being harsh, then so be it, don't be so ignorant of your animals welfare and I will stop having a go.
Everyone on this thread is right, and most likely thinking what I have said, do what has been recomended and cross your fingers that she is just stressed and not gravid.

There is plenty of info on here about how to deal with gravid snakes, and plenty on here of what can go wrong and what to look for, I suggest you start reading so you are armed with the info if you need it.
hillzi Posted - 05/07/2010 : 20:06:56
Male corn snakes are persistent filthy rapists, that's going to be fun if you have 3 tag teaming one female.

You should sperate them all, if she's gravid she will keep get pestered again and again. I've read some grim stories when a snake's been so stressed she's actually died, because of persistent males.

4 33l RUB's are like £9 each, 4 heatmats, 4 thermostats, 8 digital thermometers at £3 a hit on ebay..

it aint gonna be cheap to split them up, but its much more cost effective than removing the possibility of 3 egg bound females..
SexyBear77 Posted - 05/07/2010 : 17:21:56
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

I dont sway either way with the co habiting issue however it is not at your risk, it is at the snakes risk.

100% agree with gmac, co-habiting is never at your own risk. You are placing your animals in danger.

4 hides is not enough for 4 snakes- each snake should have a minimum of 2 hides to choose from, so you need at LEAST 8 hides in there, more if possible.

Bear in mind that snakes in the wild only come together for breeding, or by accident, and would rarely, if ever, choose to live with another. By having 4 snakes forcibly living together you are creating a very unnatural environment. Have a serious think as to whether or not that is fair to your animals.

You also really need to get them sexed. The females (if any) are likely too small for breeding, as previously mentioned, and need to be split up from the males (if any.) Any good local rep shop or breeder should be able to do this for you, or a vet if need be.

Have a read of the link gmac provided, and hopefully you can come to an informed decision.
gmac Posted - 05/07/2010 : 16:48:46
there is a possibility she is gravid as Sexybear said, what weight is your female as you say in an earlier post that she is 2 years old.

quote:
Originally posted by SanJ

Yeah iv read up on coinhabbiting and know it can be risk and is all at my own risk, I say they're happy cos they never seem jumpy, srtessed or rome about alot they're all very calm and placid, i dont know if its got anything to do with the fact that they're all from the same mother and recconise they're feramones (not sure about spellin lol) or something, they're in a large viv and i do have the ability to section bits of the viv off if needed and theres 4 caves in there which i heard is good for them all to have a place each kinda thing. Still wandering if the one is pregnant tho she hasnt eaten for a while but seems fatter towards her tail/bum end

I dont sway either way with the co habiting issue however it is not at your risk, it is at the snakes risk.
n/a Posted - 05/07/2010 : 16:29:27
Yeah iv read up on coinhabbiting and know it can be risk and is all at my own risk, I say they're happy cos they never seem jumpy, srtessed or rome about alot they're all very calm and placid, i dont know if its got anything to do with the fact that they're all from the same mother and recconise they're feramones (not sure about spellin lol) or something, they're in a large viv and i do have the ability to section bits of the viv off if needed and theres 4 caves in there which i heard is good for them all to have a place each kinda thing. Still wandering if the one is pregnant tho she hasnt eaten for a while but seems fatter towards her tail/bum end
DannyBrown91 Posted - 05/07/2010 : 16:05:32
Co-habbiting young snakes can be dangerous for many reasons, especially if you arn't certain about the sexes.

It might be worth having a little look at this thread, http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070
SexyBear77 Posted - 05/07/2010 : 08:07:41
quote:
Originally posted by SanJ

dont know the temperture of the viv, I have 4 corn snakes coinhabiting in a large 5 1/2 ft by 2 ft viv and they havent been sexed yet, I know this sounds unusual having 4 snakes together that havent been sexed but they're all jus over 2 yrs old from the same mother and seem very happy in there had no signs of stress

1. You really need to be monitoring your temperatures with a digi thermometer ideally, incorrect temps can cause problems for your snakes.
2. 4 unsexed snakes in 1 sounds........ interesting. Good luck with that.
3. Minimum recommended breeding age and size for corns is the rule of 3- 3 years old, 3 feet long and 300g in weight. Any less than this and you could be asking for trouble.
4. How do you know all 4 snakes are happy living together?

The snake that has lost its appetite could be gravid. However, it could also be a stressed female under pressure to breed (she might be the only girl) or a male that is currently in his breeding mode.

My advice is to get them all sexed, split up the boys and girls, and if possible keep the boys separate too, if there is more than one. I also advise that you do some serious research into breeding corns. It isn't something to be taken lightly.
n/a Posted - 05/07/2010 : 03:46:38
dont know the temperture of the viv, I have 4 corn snakes coinhabiting in a large 5 1/2 ft by 2 ft viv and they havent been sexed yet, I know this sounds unusual having 4 snakes together that havent been sexed but they're all jus over 2 yrs old from the same mother and seem very happy in there had no signs of stress
Mouse Posted - 05/07/2010 : 01:35:45
They can be yes, although could also be normal with nothing wrong, has she been with a male? Give as much info as poss about set up, temps, etc. Is she co-habiting?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000