The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 first timer

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 30/06/2010 : 09:17:28
hi all this is my first post and would like some advice from you :) yesterday my lovely corn laid 5 eggs and it was unexpected so i had no incubator so i got a lunch box put compost in and dampped it and i put on the heat matt do you think this will be ok? also do you think 5 is to little? or will more come its been more then 24hrs now? thank you all for your time
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mikerichards Posted - 05/07/2010 : 21:21:36
She still looks a good size, I wouldn't have said 5 eggs is normal, not for a female that size.
My amel is slightly bigger than that and she had 24 eggs, all bar 1 were good. Might be worth getting checked out.
n/a Posted - 02/07/2010 : 09:49:28
here are the pics of my female she is defiantly in shed mode now as you can see from the pics. it is very hard to see if shes still got eggs inside her wich is worrying me a little bit :s also if you guys can tell me the morphs of my male and female that would be grate thanks again for all your help and comments

n/a Posted - 02/07/2010 : 08:49:08
haha i no :0 and i will do now just and ill try and get a pic of her for you all
Sta~ple Posted - 02/07/2010 : 08:40:19
Holy carp! Those eggs are looooong Nothing to worry about though, They can range to long to looking round! I'd still check on you girl to make sure there is no eggs.
n/a Posted - 01/07/2010 : 22:28:01
The female is a little bigger and more red but is the same age i found some pics on google where other peoples eggs look fairly simmiler
n/a Posted - 01/07/2010 : 21:59:20
Oh and yes they are seperated now
n/a Posted - 01/07/2010 : 21:58:09
There bothe over 3 years because i got them when i was still at school and there defintly corns :s well so they where in the pet shop :s
mikerichards Posted - 01/07/2010 : 21:22:27
Your male looks like he is only about a year old, is the female the same age? have you separated them?
As a suggestion, save me going on about it here, please have a read of the posts on here about breeding them so young, and why its such a bad idea.
The eggs dont look like corn eggs, they look more like kingsnake eggs to me. Is the female a hybrid by chance?
They look healthy, but they may not be fertile though, so be aware of that.
The temp in the incubator should be 27.5 or as near as, they can cope with temps from 21 to 33, but anything much above 28 will result in hot babies which may be deformed and or have really bad tempers.
n/a Posted - 01/07/2010 : 17:14:05
here are some pics for you this is my male corn :)

and here are the eggs

could not get a pic of the female just yet aas she is resting in her hide :)
n/a Posted - 01/07/2010 : 16:35:19
thank you all for your reply's and i did not no they where male and female until now i went to the pet shop and got the bits and bobs i needed the temp in the inc is now a stable 83 and the female now looks to be going into shed mode it is her first lot of eggs ever and the pet shop said 5 is quit normal the corns are avout 4 years old now and just over 3foot long if that helps again thank you
mikerichards Posted - 01/07/2010 : 12:36:18
5 eggs is possible, it depends how big your snake is, I would guess with that number quite small. The setup you have for the eggs is not ideal, I assume you have the mat statted so the temps don't go to high?
Why is it unexpected when you keep a male and female together??
If the heatmat is un statted then the eggs are probably dead by now, the heatmat gets too hot, anything over 33 for a very short period will kill them.
Mouse Posted - 01/07/2010 : 08:19:59
can you send pics of the set up?

If it's been more than 24 hours and she still has some in her then that's not good.

When you hold her, run a finger or thumb (with slight pressure) along her ventrals, can you feel any lumps? if so she still has eggs. Altho saying that it's not fool proof as I couldn't feel the smaller ones mine laid last time.

My suggestion would be take her to the vet (pref a herp one) and if they can still feel eggs, they should give her a calcium and hormone jab to make her lay the rest. (If she retains them, she's eggbound and that can have serious consequences.)

Hope she's alright!
Kellog Posted - 01/07/2010 : 05:15:45
Well done for removing the male Simon. I am afraid that I dont know anything about breeding, but these threads may help you with regard to making a better incubator. I do know that you need to be very careful not to turn the eggs at all, so if you put a pen mark on the top of them you can make sure they are moved carefully.

Making an incubator - tthp://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8724

Homemade incubator - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8741

Incubator set up - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8741

As I have said, I know nothing of breeding but from what I have read there should be a lot more than 5.

Hopefully someone who knows more about breeding will be along soon and be able to give you some experienced advice, but in the meantime use the search button and try and learn as much as you can about the laying of eggs, incubating them, hatching and looking after babies....it is a steep learning curve and you are going to need to learn fast.

xxx
n/a Posted - 30/06/2010 : 22:13:12
It was but the male has now been removed thanks
Sta~ple Posted - 30/06/2010 : 20:11:06
It depends, is it in the same viv as another corn? If it is with another corn, I would say it is a too little of amount.
n/a Posted - 30/06/2010 : 20:02:45
any help please :(

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000