The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Egg bound help

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 26/06/2010 : 10:38:14
Hi all this is my first time trying to breed i have had corn for a few years. I got 2 females from my local reptile shop to breed with my 2 year old male ive had from a baby. the shop i got them from said they had breed hir the year before. I read ever thing i could about breeding before i started. Everything was going good then right on que after hir next shed i got an egg i left hir overnight in the morning there was only 4 eggs then when i got home from work only 1 more then she pushed the eggs away for hir im worryed about hir being egg bound its been over 30hours from the first egg. please help what should i do next??
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eeji Posted - 05/07/2010 : 23:31:49
excellent news! :D
mikerichards Posted - 05/07/2010 : 21:12:46
That's a result, usually oxytocin is pointless after about 48 hours!
Glad it worked though, big sigh of releif! Be aware though, she may double clutch, so get plenty of food into her while you can.
Sta~ple Posted - 03/07/2010 : 16:21:07
That's great to hear :)
n/a Posted - 03/07/2010 : 15:49:16
good news guys the oxytocin seems to have done it, she layed the rest of the eggs the next day. last night she took 2 rat pups so i hope everything will be ok now. thanks again
n/a Posted - 30/06/2010 : 16:38:32
went to the vets this morning and got the oxytocin injection. can see two new eggs in her body (3 total) so it looks like they are on the move again. thanks for all your help guys i'll let you know if she lays the rest of the eggs and when she's all better i'll get some pics for you to see
eeji Posted - 29/06/2010 : 18:37:27
good luck, i hope she gets the last egg out for you :)
n/a Posted - 29/06/2010 : 12:18:00
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

i'm surprised the vet didn't give oxytocin when you went :(

i just talked to the vet I couldn't get her in to see him. I've been giving her the injections and she has passed out more eggs since. She has layed 6 eggs that look ok, 4 was on the first day so I moved them to my incubater I hope they will be ok, but I'm not expecting anything out of them. I've also found 11 dryed up egg around the viv but I can still see 1 egg inside about 4" from vent. I will keep you updated.
Mouse Posted - 27/06/2010 : 01:04:47
Mine gave both when he injected her...how odd!!

Let us know how she goes, I was told expect 4-5 a day till they're all out.

Also, put reptoboost in her water to keep her essentials up!
matty18714 Posted - 26/06/2010 : 22:43:57
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

I thought the same. I dont think its even proven to have an effect so I would have thought if the vet wanted to try it, he would have done it as soon as posisble.
eeji Posted - 26/06/2010 : 17:54:55
Sta~ple Posted - 26/06/2010 : 16:29:08
I hope she gest better :( I have only experinced egg boundness in chickens and how you cure a snake ans chicken is the same from what I understand. Giving her a warmish bath might also help her as it relacts the muscles in that area. Also if it is an issue of the egg being like glued somewhere, the water can kind of unstick it. Massagering her would also probably help but I have no idea where and how to massage an egg bound snake and if it cause more harm than good.

I have no idea how long snakes can live being egg bound but in chickens it's not long :( if the injections aren't doing anything in 2 days In would take her to the vet again ASAP.
n/a Posted - 26/06/2010 : 14:05:22
I have just talked to the vet he has had this problem before and has given me a 20% calcium solution to inject for 5 days then i have to take hir in for a check and to get some oxytocin i'll let you guys know how i get on thanks for your help
n/a Posted - 26/06/2010 : 12:01:33
thanks i could get her to a vet today but ill need to get time off work. do you think she whould be ok if i left it till monday??
lee2308 Posted - 26/06/2010 : 11:42:44
if your really concerned you could get her to a vet,but i would think it might be ok to leave her for another 24hrs and just to leave her undisturbed,but if theres no improvement the vets will be closed tomorrow and you will have to wait and take her to the vets monday if theres still no sign,that is really your only options,i recently lost a king to being eggbound so i would opt for the vets.
n/a Posted - 26/06/2010 : 10:57:08
yes i can see 1 about 2" from her vent and 1 about 3" up from that they might be more but thats all i can see
matty18714 Posted - 26/06/2010 : 10:52:38
Does she definatley have eggs remaining?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000