The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 incubating advice needed.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
luke1989 Posted - 16/06/2010 : 22:16:43
hi, i have made an incubator out of a poly box, same as the one described on a thread on here.

question is can someone tell me EXACTLY what i need to do in terms of what to put eggs in, how to keep them moist enough, humidity tips. all of it basically in simple terms, thanks.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mikerichards Posted - 20/06/2010 : 18:20:49
couple of inches really, it doesnt really matter as the temps will be balanced out through the incubator.
Mouse Posted - 20/06/2010 : 11:20:33
not too high. I have my boxes on a cake cooling rack (on top of the heatmat!) some people use trays, mike uses toilet rolls cut in half. :D
luke1989 Posted - 17/06/2010 : 18:51:39
brilliant, one more thing, how high does the egg box need to be over the heat mat.

perfect answer just what i needed.
mikerichards Posted - 17/06/2010 : 11:11:25
yep.

Put the heatmat inside the poly box, on the bottom, doesnt matter if its up the sides a bit. you can make yourself a hold in the box so the wires can get in. Ontop of the heatmat, you can use pretty much anything, i used kitchen rolls cut into 1/4s to rest the egg box on that, but you can put sticks through the side, us mesh, whatever as long as it has the desired effect!
The egg box should be sealed, no air holes. inside that half fill with vermiculite, i will go into verm prep in a mo. once that done, place the egg box on the platform of your choice and have the thermostat and thermometer probes either taped or rubber banded together, never just leave them on the heat mat, the temps will not get up to what you want for the eggs.
You can make a hole in the egg box and have the probes in with the eggs, but you dont need to, none of my egg boxes have holes in, and i have lost only 12 eggs out of a current 98 (4 infertile tho)

Preparing the vermiculite, its very easy, get a bowl of vermiculite, roughly the amount you want to use.
Fill with water up to the same level as the vermiculite, you can use warm water if you wish to speed up the temp acclimitisation.
grab a handful of verm, squeeze the water out of it, once you get no drips from it, put it in the egg box, repeat until its the required depth.

Put your eggs in the egg box and you are away! 55 days at 27.5 c.
I stronly advise you use a pulse or dimmer stat for an incubator, and you will 100% need a digital thermometer.
the reason for the dimmer/pulse is because they are capable of holding far more steady temperatures than the mat stat.

Good Luck

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000