The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Non hatchers?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mouse Posted - 14/06/2010 : 08:35:02
My eggs are white, plump and outwardly no signs of issues at all.

they should be hatching though.

Do 'healthy fertile' eggs always hatch, and if not, when can you tell by?

They do seem to be getting bigger.....

*confuzzled*
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mouse Posted - 16/06/2010 : 08:35:36
@ Mike, that sucks. :(

@ Kehhlyr, I tried 'torching' (as the candle wasn't bright enough). I never realised that the egg itself was veiny!! wierd!! I saw a shadow in the one that wasn't too deeply buried, but no movement in any of them. Should they be wiggling about in there by now??

hmmm, webcam.....
Kehhlyr Posted - 15/06/2010 : 23:18:25
You might not even have to lift the eggs up to candle them, if the torch is powerful enough with a small enough head, then it should do it by shining from an angle at the top, this depends on how buried the eggs are of course.

Another option to sit watching would be to stick a webcam in there and watch with that as well, I done it with my beardies and lost track of the amount of people that stopped in to check on them hatching.
mikerichards Posted - 15/06/2010 : 12:57:33
A couple of my healthy eggs didnt hatch last year, it seems that sometimes the egg tooth falls off a little prematurely, so they cant then get out.
Was very frustrating because one was the best amel hurricane motley i had ever seen!
Mouse Posted - 15/06/2010 : 08:44:57
:D thanks :D will try that!
n/a Posted - 15/06/2010 : 05:14:02
it does... work that is, there are no stupid questions :)
Mouse Posted - 14/06/2010 : 21:48:52
cool - I take it candeling is holding a candle up on the opposite side of the egg to you and watching the shadow/silouette?! would it work with a torch?!

(of course that does sound like a stupid Q, but still!!)
n/a Posted - 14/06/2010 : 19:55:54
How long it takes (and also how long you should wait) depends on the temperature in the incubator.
Mine is between 27,5-28 celsius this year and most hatchlings has opened the egg after 55-60 days. Waiting about another week should be the least i can do as long as the egg look healthy and as Kehhlyr says, you can se movement while candeling.

Its hard to give a precise time, and i dont want to be the one making you open your eggs too early, but if all the eggs but one or two, there might be a problem for those. If no eggs hatched yet, id sit back and enyoy the wait, about as funny as to watch paint dry but a little bit more exciting ;)
Kehhlyr Posted - 14/06/2010 : 19:27:20
You could always candle them quickly to see if there's any movement in there as well, I had to do it with my beardie eggs.

In fact I also had to slice a couple of those as well, but that was more so due to having the humidity drop to much in the incubator as they were pipping (so my fault).
Mouse Posted - 14/06/2010 : 19:14:47
whats the longest time (from being laid) that you should leave it before cutting the egg?
n/a Posted - 14/06/2010 : 17:39:12
If none of the eggs have hatched and they are still white and looking good, i would not worry too much. Sometimes it takes a bit longer and sometimes they hatch earlier then expected.
On the other hand they usually hatch close to eachother, so if i have 10 eggs in the incubator and 9 hatch within the usual 48 hours span, but the last one takes days longer, i sometimes make a small cut in the egg to give the little one a higher chanse of getting out.
Be careful tho, this can harm the snake as some are just a bit slow to get out, and if it isnt ready to hatch you will probably kill it when opening the egg.
NEVER try to help the snake out though. Ive seen people "helping" the hatchlings by pulling them out, but thats a really bad idea.

But to answer the question: 'healthy fertile' eggs do not always hatch sadly. Some hatchlings fail to open the egg and if not helped, they die in there so its a judgement call as its a risk for the snake whatever you decide to do.
I wait as long as possible before touching the eggs and when i start to panic, i try to wait a week longer.

/Magnus

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000