The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Shedding problems

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 05/06/2010 : 14:05:02
Afternoon all, I think the subject gives this away,

I've had Eugene since November and he's never had a full shed with me yet, he gets the first half off without any problem but i've always had to help him with the bottom half.

A few of you will know that i recently had feeding problems with him and he never ate for about 8 weeks. During that time he lost quite a bit weight so its been a while since his last shed. This past week he's been out and about as usual, and about half an hour ago i went into his viv for his daily water change and noticed at the back of the viv a goos 12 inches of shedded skin. Unfortunately though he's done his usual trick and its only about half of it.

If just bathed him and got the rest of it off (along with the tip of his tail) but the head part only shows 1 eye cap. I've looked around his viv and cant see any other bits of shed anywhere, and ive had a close look at his face and it looks fine and doesnt look as though there is any retained skin. Today is also feeding day, i was about to get the 2 fuzzies out the freezer.

Sorry this has been a bit long winded but would you still go ahead with the feed today, and if he has retained any skin on his head or an eye cap are there any tricks to help him remove it????

Thanks as always.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 12/06/2010 : 03:53:27
quote:
Originally posted by shaka1980

Got my fingers crossed that it is the same as Eugene.

He did it Carl ....warmed and brained the mouse and dangled it, he showed some interest, struck once and missed, so I held mouse still and he struck again and grabbed it. He immediately dropped it and backed away looking at it....as if to say 'What do I do now?'....and then he fed ....was such a relief. Now I am just hoping he will do the same next week. His behaviour has definitely calmed down so hopefully he is out of his breeding fast. Now I just have to wait for Kellog to do the same !

At least it looks like Eugene and Silvesta are on the right track.

xxx
n/a Posted - 11/06/2010 : 13:46:54
Got my fingers crossed that it is the same as Eugene.
Kellog Posted - 11/06/2010 : 01:50:18
I cant believe it....I am now going through the same thing with Kellog - he shed last night and the head piece was all torn (the rest came off fine). Could only find one eye cap so am unsure as to whether he has shed the other ok, but cant see any signs on him that it has been retained....although he is behaving rather oddly. Not sure if the behaviour is down to the shed, him still being horny or him coming out of that breeding season and deciding he is starving....

Will try and see how he goes today and offer him food tomorrow....I just hope the result is the same as with Eugene, although I am quite happy if he doesnt strike and constrict as long as he eats!!

xxx
n/a Posted - 10/06/2010 : 20:16:08
Well after his feed on a Saturday i obviously leave him the standard 48 hours before handling him again, and by wednesday or thursday he's out and about at his own free will looking for prey again. lol

And i've been inspecting him and definately doesnt look like he's retained the eye cap, i've obviously missed it with the fact the head part was all torn.

I certainly hope he does it again this week. Gotta feed him a day early this week as going away at the weekend, but it was absolutely stunning seeing him doing it for the first time.
Kellog Posted - 08/06/2010 : 05:04:35
Thanks for reporting back Carl, I was hoping you would. It does sound positive and as though the eye cap has been shed (although again I will stress that I am NOT an expert). I know, from having just gone through it, how worrying it is thinking that you might be having to deal with a retained eye cap.

And it is great news that he fed and did it with such style !! I am not surprised he gave you a fright as you werent expecting it....but it is great to see it when it happens, you can then imagine just a bit how they behave in the wild . I hope he continues to feed like that for you, although knowing the corns sense of humour he probably will keep you waiting for his next strike and constrict and then suddenly do it again in a few weeks....just to make you jump again !!

xxx
n/a Posted - 06/06/2010 : 14:56:48
Hi Kellog, thanks for responding. Yeah the head part was all torn and i could only see one eye cap. I've had a good look through the rest of the shed and cant see it there either.

He seems alright and after inspecting him thoroughly it doesnt look like its on him either.

Well i tried him with his usual feed last night and boy did he take it. He's become a "proper" snake now as he struck for the first time and coiled his prey. I nearly died!!!!!!! such a fright as he's never done it before. lol

I would normally put a water bowl on top of the heat mat to increase the humidity, but i didnt even know he'd gone into blue this time (little bugger).

Anyway i'll keep a good eye on him (excuse the pun) and report back if any further problems.

Cheers again

Carl & Eugene
Kellog Posted - 06/06/2010 : 04:43:12
I had this with Silvesta just a few days ago....had to help him out of most of his shed but he had got the head part off in ragged bits. I was so worried about whether he had retained the eye caps and I searched high and low for any sign of them - it took a lot of careful looking through all the scraps of shed skin but I did find them both. Are you 100% sure that the 2nd eye cap isnt with some of the shed skin? Was the rest of the head piece whole or was there a ragged bit where the eye should be? I have never dealt with a retained eye cap before but I would guess you should be able to tell as there would be some sign of ragged skin around the eye?? But I really dont know I am afraid.

As you have already bathed him, and I am assuming you have done the running him through a damp towel trick, I am not sure what else you can do. If you could be positive there was a retained eye cap then I have heard of 2 methods to remove them, either by getting a page turner cap (the rubber ones for your finger) and very very gently rubbing it over your snakes eye - supposedly the cap should come right off....or, after a bath, try removing it with a cotton bud. But obviously you only want to try these things if you can be sure that the eye cap has been retained. The other thing you could try is putting in a damp hide?

Try feeding him and see what happens....the worst is he could refuse.

When you see him go blue do you do anything to get him ready for shedding....as in help raise the humidity in his viv?

I am so sorry I cant be more help, I wish I had the experience and knowledge to be able to answer your questions. Hopefully someone with that experience will be along to help soon.

xxx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000