The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 am i under feeding?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
stotty01 Posted - 05/06/2010 : 11:09:48
hi guys

i just found a guide to how much i should be feeding my snake and i was wondering if im under feeding her, she weighs 37g and i have only feed her one pinkie would it be a good move to go out and get some fuzzies or feed her 2 pinkies

here is the guide i found
-Single pinks (2-3g) every 5-6 days. (Snake = 4-15g)
-Double pinks (3g x 2) every 5-6 days. (Snake = 16-23g)
-Small fuzzies (5-7g) every 6-7 days. (Snake = 24-30g)
-Regular fuzzies (7-9g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 30-50g)
-Hoppers (9-12g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 51-90g)
-Weaned (14-20g) every 7 days (Snake = 91-170g)
-Adult (20-30g) every 7-x days (Snake = 170+)
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
DannyBrown91 Posted - 06/06/2010 : 14:39:45
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

but I know forum members whose snakes should supposedly be on a certain size cos of their weight but arent big enough for them yet, so you should only use it in conjunction with common sense and a knowledge of your snake, it should not be followed religiously.

Iam one of those people. According to the guide Casper should be on Regular fuzzies almost ready to go upto hoppers as she weighs about 45grams, where in actual fact she is only on 1 small fuzzy every 6 days and this still leaves a bump and she is still putting on weight consistantly.

Reggie should be just about to make the jump up to hoppers as he weighs 50 grams and in actual fact he is only getting ready to make the move up to regular fuzzies currently getting 1-2 small fuzzies every 6-7 days.
HannahB Posted - 06/06/2010 : 14:03:24
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

you dont want to power feed her when she isnt ready....so just slow and steady.

just what i was about to say..
please dont think because she (through no fault of your own) wasnt getting food big enough that she needs to go straight up a few sizes, overfeeding is worse than underfeeding and trust me your snake wont appreciate it!
best to take it at a slow pace - better to take your time and let her get used to bigger meals gradually
Kellog Posted - 06/06/2010 : 03:56:49
You have been given good advice here Alex. Please be careful with using the guide....it is helpful but it is a VERY ROUGH guide you can use to give you a basic idea of what size food he should be on....but I know forum members whose snakes should supposedly be on a certain size cos of their weight but arent big enough for them yet, so you should only use it in conjunction with common sense and a knowledge of your snake, it should not be followed religiously.

Unfortunately a lot of people who have only just got corns are giving advice using this guide....but without saying anything else.

Often breeders/pet shop owners often keep their snakes on a maintenance diet....which means just enough to keep them alive but not enough for them to grow and thrive, which is probably what has happened with Medusa and why she is only on one pinkie.

You definitely should NOT jump her straight from one pinkie to regular fuzzies (which, according to the guide, she should be on). She needs to be worked up slowly to prepare her for the larger prey item. Start off with feeding her 2 pinkies and then go by whether, once she has eaten them both, there is a bump or not. When it gets to the point that there is no longer a bump once she has eaten her 'dinner', then you can move her up to the next prey size.

When you do move her up you need to make sure that the small fuzzie's girth is 1.5 times the size of the widest part of the snake's body girth, no bigger. If it is bigger than that then she is not ready to move up.

There is no rush Alex, you dont want to power feed her when she isnt ready....so just slow and steady.

xxx
stotty01 Posted - 05/06/2010 : 18:48:53
ok thank you guys :)
DannyBrown91 Posted - 05/06/2010 : 12:19:52
That is only a very rough guide but at that weight she should probably be eating more.

I would try her on double pinks next feed and keep her on them for a few weeks untill you are confident enough she can take a reasonably sized fuzzy.
reptiledanny Posted - 05/06/2010 : 11:59:01
next time you feed her give her double pinks, depending on how many you have left i would feed until they are either all gone or feed her on them for about 4-5weeks to get her used to taking more food (if you have 8 pink left then feed for 4 weeks, if you have like 20 pinks left just use all them up first) . then after that when you next go to buy some food buy a few fuzzies as well ( make sure you do buy a few pinks just in case he refusues fuzzies, like even just buy 2 pinks for back up) then try him on fuzzies. if he takes them then continue on fuzzies until he reaches about 70 grams and then feed two fuzzies, then once he reaches about 100-120 grams (depending on the girth of him) try a small mouse, this is the way i went up and monty is doing great. corect me if im worng people.
Matt_Brooks Posted - 05/06/2010 : 11:35:54
No buddy wait till the next feed now and then feed double pinkies :)
stotty01 Posted - 05/06/2010 : 11:25:19
okay thanks for the help :) should i possible feed her another pinkie tonight???
Matt_Brooks Posted - 05/06/2010 : 11:21:25
I would maybe move it up a notch. I have that guide on my snake feeding diary and its great! Though remember its only a guide and doesnt have to be followed religiously.

You'll be able to tell if shes underweight. Corns are arch shaped. If you was to cut her in have and look at the cross-sectional part of the body and it was straight sides and arch back then shes fine. Triangular shaped and shes underweight. Round and shes overweight. Hard to describe but i hope it helps.

Also you should be feeding prey items that are around 1.5x times bigger that the widest part of her body. I would guess at 37g a pinkie would hardly make a dent.

Someone correct me if im wrong but id slowly increase the size of feed everytime and not jump straight to a mouse. next time feed her a fuzzie and then the feed after maybe move it up untill shes on the right size food and its putting a nice 1.5x dent in her body.

Hope this helps even though it is long winded :)

Matt

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000