The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 New 3' (36x18x18) Viv...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JackSnake Posted - 01/06/2010 : 17:05:37
Hi everyone.
This is first post on this site, and im just after some help.
By viewing other members posts on custom vivs, it gave me the bug to make myself one...thanks people
The viv is nearly complete and i will post some pictures when finished. The viv is 36x18x18. The answer im looking from you people is what i need to kit it out with.
Jack is currently in a
Med flat Exo Terra Faunarium
6x11 Ultratherm heat matt
Microclimate mini stat 100

Will i need to upgrade heat matt and stat or do i have to use heat lamp now?
Also are two 80mm vents on the back board suitable for the size of viv?

Many Thanks
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
JackSnake Posted - 05/06/2010 : 14:36:18
Thanks for all the advice! I think im going to upgrade the heat mat and put like a day light on timer in there.
If it doesnt work that well i can easily put a heat bulb inside and try that.
The new viv is nearly ready and ill post up some pics!
Thanks again!
LittleMick Posted - 02/06/2010 : 00:04:23
quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

i thought corns were better on heat mats?

I think it just depends on what you are trying to attain. With a heat you would have a permanent ground heat source, day or night.

With a light, it still heats surfaces so snakey can still get warm. Then as BE pointed out about the dimmer stat, lights going on and off etc. I have heard some people use both a white light and a heat mat to try and recreate a natural environment as possible, i.e; the sun, the heat of the light over powers the heat mat stat so the heat mat remains off, then when the light is timed to shut off, the heat mat kicks in for a lower night heat.Then some people use red lights.

As stated though, it depends what you are trying to do, I'm shure th emembers of this site that use lights have different reasons for using them.
Sta~ple Posted - 01/06/2010 : 22:37:02
quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

If you're moving to a bulb (which I would recommend) you will need a dimming stat or it will look like a disco in there and blow your bulb very quickly.

I think it's debatable and really up to a persons preference. I've used both and prefer heatmats so :p

I'm terrible at working out the right size for heatmats but The way I figured it out was that I drew the size heatmat on a piece of paper and popped it in the viv to see if I think it would be big enough.
reptiledanny Posted - 01/06/2010 : 21:58:23
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

If you're moving to a bulb (which I would recommend) you will need a dimming stat or it will look like a disco in there and blow your bulb very quickly.

Blackecho Posted - 01/06/2010 : 20:33:18
Figs Posted - 01/06/2010 : 17:46:40
I'm pretty sure you can use the same stat, but we may have to wait for someone to come and correct me
also not 100% on the vents, but my vivs (40x24) have 4 vents; two on the top of the back wall, and two on the bottom

your heat mat should cover 1/3 - 1/2 of the viv so you'd need to upgrade there.
Most snakey people use heatmats for heat and lights for viewing, so even in a bigger viv the mat should be fine
You can use a light if you want though; just make sure to get a bulb guard too

then you can throw a load of hides and plants and vines and stuff in there too

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000