The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 not happy

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
danbaylis35 Posted - 31/05/2010 : 09:05:51
snake escaped today......i am moving today what do i do!!!!!
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 02/06/2010 : 07:31:35
i lost kellogs one day and pulled out the full room even pulled up the laminate and floorboards i was devastated thaught she was gone for good but i found her shed got into my chesterdraws and got her self in to my hairdryer xxxx
good luck finding him and i hope you do xxx
Kellog Posted - 01/06/2010 : 13:18:29
Oh Danny, that is awful....and today of all days .

These are some notes I made on lost snakes and hopefully you can use some of them in your circumstances.....

The first thing you have to remember is that corn snakes are amazingly hardy so can survive under difficult circumstances, so dont panic (easily said I know....especially considering your present circumstances).

To start trying to find your snake - when you look for her start from the very top. Ceiling. Start slowly come down from there to top of lampshades if any, down electric wires, anything that dangles from the ceiling. Then you choose the least cluttered wall and start to go down it methodically. Obviously with you things will have been packed away in boxes, but work along these same lines....if there are shelves, everything comes off them and only gets put back once it's been inspected, books opened, etc. If there are cupboards, the drawers come out completely, and if possibly, the cupboard or closet gets pulled away from the wall so the area behind it can be searched too. The frame of mind is to inspect every surface no matter how unlikely. The floor and any object on it gets done last, and any carpets would get their underside inspected too if possible. If still no go, I'd go under the floorboards.For those awkward places with the pipes I'd get a good torch and a mirror, so you can inspect the hidden areas. Apart from "every surface" I'd also think as if I'm looking for something much smaller e.g. think you're looking for a contact lense. Check near any heat sources - near radiators, pipes, in the oven, the washer, behind the fridge, computer leads, behind tv, sterio, boiler...they will search out heat.

Do any of your seats/sofas have holes in she could have got into?

Make sure you check all clothing, towels etc that havent been packed away...(I know this probably doesnt apply but if it does then you must also check dirty stuff about to go in the washing machine...one forum member nearly sent his escaped snake for a wet wash.)

Are you sure she has left her viv? Could she be hiding in substrate or in small hole in a branch you have in it? A few forum members have thought their snakes lost but then discovered them buried in substrate. One totally emptied his viv, no snake...but then discovered her curled up under the branch in a really tiny hole.

Try putting the viv on the floor near a dish of water, she may decide to come home by herself.....maybe near the skirting you think she may have disappeared behind. You must put a number of water dishes down cos a snake can go for a long time without food but not long without water. I know how difficult all this must sound with boxes being moved etc, but it is all important to try and find her and to keep her safe.

You could try turning down the heat in the rest of the house and turning it up in the room you hope she is in. Also you could try putting the heatmat in a corner with a towel over it and pillows round it, to give her somewhere warm and safe to hide.

Do you literally move today or tomorrow? When do the new owners move in? I have heard of owners sitting up all night in case the missing snake puts in an appearance, which may be an idea for you to try. Try putting bits of foil or crumpled wrapping paper along skirting boards cos snake will move along edge of room and hopefully you will then hear it move.

I am not sure what sort of bottle-trap you have put down, but this is an example of one:
http://www.thekingsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=263. Dont leave a mouse in a bottle trap for more than 24hrs...throw it away. Wait a few days and then try again. You are going to have to work with the new owners about this, I am sure they would rather you found her than have her loose in their new house so should hopefully be supportive.

If she was fed fairly recently, or if she takes the offered mouse but isnt in the trap, then put down some boxes like empty cereal boxes in warm place's, she'll be looking for a warm secure place to digest. You can use covered hot water bottles to offer extra warm places for her to go.

Put flour across doorways so you can see slither marks which will show the snake is around and whether it has gone into or out of a room.

Some people suggest you put sticky tape down to try and 'catch' the snake, but this can be very dangerous to them and I would seriously advise against it.

Even boxes that you have moved to your new house, try and look through them there in case she did get into them....

These are some examples of where people have found their snakes - in a box file of paperwork, behind books on a shelf, on a bathroom shelf, curled up in-between plugs in a 4 point adaptor and in their granddad's room in his towel basket as he got out a towel to have a shower! One forum member's OH opened the living room window, pulled the curtain cos of the sun, they heard a thud, thought it was a candle falling over, so didn't take any notice and a few minutes later the snake appeared trying to climb up the wall. Just recently a snake was found after being missing about 9 weeks, lying under the front door mat.

Hope some of this helps (and much thanks to other forum members for their tips 'borrowed').

I cant imagine being in your position Danny, to have lost your snake is bad enough but to have lost her on the day you move when the whole house is crazy and you are under enough stress is unimaginable. Just keep looking, even where you have already looked. The main thing is not to give up hope....snakes have gone missing for days, weeks, even months and still turned up healthy and happy.

xxx

Mouse Posted - 01/06/2010 : 11:48:35
Oh no! That sucks. Lets hope the new tenants aren't mortally afraid of snakes!!!

Hope she turns up tonight!
tehbunneh Posted - 31/05/2010 : 22:34:12
Oh my! I hope you find her! Ripley did the same and turned up basking on the patio outside 5 months later! Might be a REALLY good idea to warn the new people there may be a snake in the house/garden ^^''' So sorry for your loss!
mrsT Posted - 31/05/2010 : 22:06:22
flippin eck!of all the days to go missing!
hope you find her soon
danbaylis35 Posted - 31/05/2010 : 16:20:12
was no where near the boxes think she went behind skirting but door was open so could be any where in the house put some damp towels down and a bottle trap going back tommrrow to hopefully find here looking at me :(
herriotfan Posted - 31/05/2010 : 10:46:09
OMG, what a day to go missing.
I do hope you find your snake.
Is there any chance it could have got into the packing boxes, they'd be nice and dark?
I agree you must leave a note for the people moving in to keep an eye out. Make sure you leave them contact details. I'm not saying you wouldn't but there's so much to do on moving day you might just forget!!!
Fingers crossed.
HannahB Posted - 31/05/2010 : 10:34:16
double check and even triple check all the boxes that are near the viv.. - also i know its difficult to do but try not to bash any boxes around just in case he's in one,
got my fingers crossed you find him soon
Sta~ple Posted - 31/05/2010 : 09:54:11
awww :( I hope you find him...
If you don;t though you might want to warn the new people living in your house.
n/a Posted - 31/05/2010 : 09:15:11
Look everywhere, even where you wouldnt exepct. They will be able to get in anywhere that they can fit their heads through so you need to check everywhere, no matter how unlikely. You may also want to put some flour down across doorways although its unlikely theyll move much during the day, as well as putting a mouse down in various rooms to try and lure him/her out with the scent. Good luck

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000