The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 question for kellog

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 29/05/2010 : 16:06:33
Hi Kellog, I have just looked at the pics of your vivs, very cool but could you tell me where did you get your branches from, were they from your garden/local wood and what tree they are from?
Cheers hope your well
Steve
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 04/06/2010 : 03:51:56
quote:
Originally posted by nottm335

........Your knowledge is unlimited........

I may have a high post count Steve but I am FAR from experienced and know that I have so much to learn....even those who have been keeping snakes for over 20yrs accept that there is still things to learn.

No-one's knowledge is unlimited and mine is far from it....I just try to help out where I can . And I am glad that I have been able to give you an idea as to what to put in the viv when the time comes .

xxx
n/a Posted - 03/06/2010 : 19:15:25
Thanks very much Kellog, Your knowledge is unlimited. I now have a much better idea of what I can put in his viv without causing him any harm.
Steve xx
Gaz_1989 Posted - 03/06/2010 : 09:01:13
Cool,

Thanks.

Ive just done a quick search and it says that syccamore should be fine, if you dry it out like you said above.

We are having a 300 year old Sycamore tree cut down next month at my mum and dads farm... Could be some nice branches on that :-)
Kellog Posted - 03/06/2010 : 04:20:49
The branches in my vivs are box and ewe. Chatting with my OH about it he says that any hardwood should be fine as long as it is baked long enough and therefore all the sap is dried out and no longer an issue for the snake. (but he is not an expert so dont take his word for it, he is just talking as a 'plant and tree enthusiast')

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you on this Steve, trying to pin my OH down to ask him a simple question is not easy !!

xxx
n/a Posted - 02/06/2010 : 20:47:46
Sorry Gaz I have no idea I am still trying to find out what branches and how to recognise them myself. If you dont get an answer in this post in a couple od days it might be worth you opening a new post in general care.
Gaz_1989 Posted - 02/06/2010 : 15:20:21
Its not on the TOXIC list... But does anyone know if you could use syccamore branches?

Thanks

Gaz
Sta~ple Posted - 02/06/2010 : 13:19:16
Did you ever find out Kellog? Sorry If I'm being annoying and asking :( they just look so great :D
n/a Posted - 30/05/2010 : 21:53:01
Thanks for the info kellog, if you could find out I would be very greatful.
Steve
Kellog Posted - 30/05/2010 : 05:16:47
Thanks for your comments about my vivs Steve. The branches were from my garden, my OH got them for me so I have no idea what tree they are from but will try and find out. The great thing about them is that they are shaped in such a way that I dont have to attach them to the viv, they stand on their own and can be moved around to make a change. I also have a couple more waiting to be put in when I get bored with these ones, but I will keep them and replace them at a later date.

I made sure to soak them in reptile disinfectant and then baked them in the over at 160oC for an hour to kill any parasites or eggs that may be in them.

If you do a search for branches I think you will find a number of topics about what wood you can and cant use and how to treat it. If I get the chance I will have a look for you.

xxx

Edited to add links....

You might find these helpful - How to prepare branches http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7285

Making your own decorations http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8509

Do corns climb (that includes a discussion about using and treating driftwood) http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8993

And a list of toxic plants that also includes trees http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2402

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000