The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Mice and Rats

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Matt_Brooks Posted - 29/05/2010 : 11:41:47
Well now Cleo is getting to the stage of pinkies getting a little too small and nearly onto 2 pinkies. Been to reptile shop today and accidently got a rat pup. Now this put in the rough 1.5x dent so was quite happy.

But i remeberd reading somewere that rats are slightly different to mice and that snakes can have a so called "taste" for rats and not go back to mice. Would it be ok to keep feeding rat pups instead of 2 pinkies or should i keep to mice? The worry is that from reading up corns dont get big enough to even need to consider feeding rats.

I hopinh that one rat pup shouldnt make a difference and can go back onto pinkies. Shes not quite big enough for 2 pinkies yet being 12g at last weigh but they just dont seem to make as much of a dent.

Sorry for the long drawn out question

Matt
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mikerichards Posted - 29/05/2010 : 22:04:06
No, thats not the case, rats and mice are very similar, the main difference is size, yes a rat is more fatty than a mouse, but on the same note, they have far more calcium, more nutrients and more muscle, so they get more of everything, not just fat.
Feeding younger snakes rats is not a drama, they just grow better, i feed my babies on rat pups as soon as they are big enough, i havent ended up with any unhealthy snakes yet. Feeding rats is cheaper, one rat instead of 2 pinkies, 40p as opposed to 60p for 2 pinkies (my local price, not what i pay though!!!!)
I also feed some of my bigger corns, especially breeding females, rat weaners, they give them a massive boost for production and overall health.
The thing that has proved addictive is Chicks, something about them is irresistable, but they are the worst thing to feed, they contain nothing of benefit, small amounts of calcium, tiny protein, considering their size, they are a waste of time.
Matt_Brooks Posted - 29/05/2010 : 19:22:22
Thanks for the advice guys and girls. Think i'll try and find a large pinkie if not then 2 smaller pinkies for the next feed.

I spose rats are like us munching out on crips and choccy everyday!
n/a Posted - 29/05/2010 : 15:49:18
I got my snake about 6 weeks ago and when I got him he was being fed on large rats, I took him to my local rep shop so the chap could tell me if he was healthy and he told me that yes he is very healthy but also way to fat so I was told to put him on two large mice a week as rats although fine to give to corns are very fattening. My snake made the change from rats to mice very well but has become a little over eager at feeding times now as it takes me all my time to get my hand out the way before he pounces on the mouse ( which is dead ) I am not sure if this is because he likes the mice more or if he is hungrey due to the size differance in his meal hope this helps
crazy JJ Posted - 29/05/2010 : 14:41:00
as i said in the link Matty gave my older snakies have the occasional rat (well ciass doesnt seem to like them that much, bless him/her he prefers his/hers mice) and they all seem to get back to mice perfectly fine :D

but i would try n give your snakie maybe 2 small pinkies, spec if you dont think she is gettin enough as kellog said :D i was shocked with skittles yesterday as she ate 2 small ish fuzzies.. but i havnt weighed her in a while lol so cant really compare... (note to self get some digi scales)

hope that helps a little :D
Kellog Posted - 29/05/2010 : 11:56:35
I would not have thought that having one rat pup is going to make too much difference with Cleo. I am no expert Matt, but from what I have heard it is not a great idea to continue to feed her rat pups - although rats are thought to be more nutritious and have more calcium due to more solid bone structure than mice, they are high in fat.

I would have thought that she will be fine continuing with the one pinkie, although it does sound as though she is ready to be moved up to 2 pinkies. Please remember that the feeding guide that is on here is only a very rough guide and needs to be used in conjunction with common sense and knowledge of your snake - if you dont think Cleo is getting enough from 1 pinkie then offer her 2.

Hope that is some help.

xxx
matty18714 Posted - 29/05/2010 : 11:46:35
Read through this, its a recent simular thread.

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9746&

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000