The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 silly question!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mrsT Posted - 28/05/2010 : 08:00:15
Do snakes yawn????
I was watching jake the other night and he opened his mouth really wide just for a couple of secs and closed it again....really looked like he was yawning!so i just wondered if they do
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 29/05/2010 : 04:24:46
I think what has been said is right.... as far as I know snakes dont yawn in the sense that we do, because we are tired or nervous.

Danny and Mike have explained it well about the yawning after a feed, it is them realigning their jaws. I googled and this was the description I got of what happens when a snake eats - 'Snakes can dislocate their lower jaw and the front of the jaw is not joined but has an elastic connective tissue. This allows the snake to eat a food item two to three times the size of its head.' Obviously this then means that they have to 'reset' their jaws after they have fed and that is the point of them yawning. They will also rub their heads against the sides of their viv or hides to help realign their jaw as well.

Ladyevil is also right, often snakes will yawn after they have been 'blue' and are about to shed....this is stretching and loosening the skin around their jaws in preparation for the beginning of the process, along with them rubbing their heads along the side of their vivs, hides, branches etc - so something to watch out for if you are waiting to see you snake shed (good luck with that !!).

I think they may also yawn to stretch their jaw muscles and keep them limber.

Could they also yawn as a way to cool down if they are feeling too hot?? Just a thought....

xxx

Edited to say - Carly, you should know by now that NO question is regarded as a silly question on this forum....you can see what a discussion this has sparked so it was a good question to ask .

Sta~ple Posted - 28/05/2010 : 17:07:46
I also catch mine yawing after they have a drink.
n/a Posted - 28/05/2010 : 16:14:01
I read a few places that, if you notice them doing it more often than usual, it probably means they're trying to loosen the skin on their face in preparation for a shed. Is this correct?
elament Posted - 28/05/2010 : 15:56:48
Yep I agree my Colin often yawns after a feed realigning his yaws I have seen Xena do it once after a feed also
mikerichards Posted - 28/05/2010 : 10:32:30
They dont yawn as you and i would do, they do it purely to realign their jaws, usually after feeding. Occasionally though they do feel the need to have a stretch.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 28/05/2010 : 10:06:33
I've only ever seen mine do it after a feed when they realine their jaws.
mrsT Posted - 28/05/2010 : 09:09:46
i thought it was pretty cool!
been trying to catch him doing it again!
Gaz_1989 Posted - 28/05/2010 : 08:20:47
Yep, Stella yawns after a feed, ALWAYS! And i usually catch her sometime during the week just chilling out and giving me a big yawn.

Its pretty common! Looks funny though! lol.
mozacchio Posted - 28/05/2010 : 08:04:07
Yes they surely do!
My experience of yawning was with my ex's ball python.
The little guy was laying on the bed and we were looking at each other (me and the ball python) very still.
And suddently.. it happened!
I has like "Am i boring you?? " !

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000