The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 escape proof vivs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 27/05/2010 : 04:55:53
hello everyone
am going to need to be changing vivs soon i think, but have heard that corn snake are good escape artists. can any one give me some advice on what vivs are virtually escape proof and what i should look out for,the pet stores that av bin to have sliding doors on them but no lock, an this just seems abit unsecure, also where can i get a good one for not too many pennies please... also ona more random note how do u know if your snake is asleep.sometimes i get worried and have to nudge it just to see its not dead. thanks in advance people :)
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
simonw Posted - 27/05/2010 : 13:13:54
I'd agree with Gaz that the Vivexotics are pretty escape proof subject to other controls (no leaving open when changing water-when they smell freedom they can be pretty fast as I've had the pleasure to find out)

One thing I'd add is to recommend popping out the plastic vents which are supplied with the viv and reverse them so they are facing inwards...they look better from the front, require no sealing and cannot be popped out by snakey. My first vivexotic's vents were quite tough to get out, but my newer one was easy, so a snake could possibly pop them out and make their escape.

I use rubber wedges to stop the glass sliding, but even a hatchling would not get between the panes.

Having said that I'm sure appropriately sized RUBs are pretty escape proof, but they hadn't invented them when my snakes were small so I've never used one.
Gaz_1989 Posted - 27/05/2010 : 12:24:36
Tatsie-J that gap looks huge!

The gap in my viv is about 3mm, 0.1 inches. As i said above there is no way that my corn, or yours in the photo would fit through that.

The gap in your photo looks about 10mm or more.

What kind of viv is that?

I was reccomending a viv-exotic as an escape proof viv.

Thanks

Gaz
Tatsie-j Posted - 27/05/2010 : 12:05:37
quote:
Originally posted by Gaz_1989

the gap is about 3mm if that and theres no way an 8 month old corn would fit through,

Gaz i tottally disagree with this as here is my 11month corn doing just that... http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9578 but def wedge some strong think cardboard in the gap u should b fine!! and if u c from the 2nd lot of photos make sure the cardboard is 1 whole strip lol
Gaz_1989 Posted - 27/05/2010 : 08:15:00
I was worried about Stella escaping when i put her into a 3' Viv from a 18" Faunarium.

I've got a Vivexotic VX36. Its the wider version of the LX36.

Basically a 3' wooden viv. I purchased a lock for the glass, well it was free from my mates reptile shop, but usually about £6.00.

They stop the glass doors being slid open by snakes or intefering people, lol.

I sealed the viv all round, i sealed a piece of vinyl floor tile over the heat mat (to stop her getting under the mat) and i sealed around the 4 x Vents at the back, aswell as the 2 x Cable holes (once the cables are in place).

At first i was worried she would fit between the gap, to be fair i was worrying for nothing, the gap is about 3mm if that and theres no way an 8 month old corn would fit through, but still for safety i put a 2" wide piece of cardboard in there for about 3 months.

Obviously while ure using the cardboard the lock wont fit in, but if the card is tight fitting then the doors cant slide open without you removing the cardboard. So this works great.

Stella has tried and tried to escape, but its not happening.

If you do the above and then be sensible when putting her back or cleaning etc then you will be fine. When i clean her out fully, i put her in her faun. Never leave the glass doors open with her in there for even a moment, not even 'just while i change the water' which is what my mate did and he has still not found his corn from 2 years ago.

If you take these precautions then your corn is going nowhere, just a bit of common sense is all thats required.

Good Luck,

Gaz.
KITTYCAT Posted - 27/05/2010 : 06:28:25
You can buy the locks for sliding doors and they are dead easy to fit on, some vivs do come with them.one of my snakes is in a sliding door viv but i had to put draft excluder between the doors when she was younger as that is where she escaped from.I got my viv from a reptile shop for £70. I just bought a fish tank for my king snake from a car boot sale for £8 my partner made a new lid for it as the lid that came with it was rubbish he also but 2 vents in it, perfect for a seventh of the price.I check my snakes every morning and i too give them a wee nudge to make sure they are ok.
n/a Posted - 27/05/2010 : 05:56:20
also how exactly do they escape, do they squeeeze through the gaps, or somehow manage to pushh open the lids. bit paranoid bout him escapin lately

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000