The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 All makes sense now...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Tatsie-j Posted - 25/05/2010 : 20:21:22
hello all...
was starting 2 get a bit worried about zebedee as since we split him up from coraline hes spent ALL WEEK in his hide n not moved at all! but 2day is feeding day so got a pinky on tweezers n teased him out the hide to b greeted with a lovely pair of blue eyes!! so after his 2 pinkies hes back hiding in his warm hide but at least hes ok!! when should i expect a shed roughly ive never really timed between blue eyes n shedding?
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Tatsie-j Posted - 29/05/2010 : 09:45:59
I have a nice shed Zebedee! went in last night 2 find him on an adventure with a nice shed nearly complete apart from the tip of his tale which came of no problems so hes nice and shiny i will try and get a picture later!!
n/a Posted - 28/05/2010 : 17:37:30
1 problem with all these boxes tho... they do their business in them and they go all soggy lol
Kellog Posted - 28/05/2010 : 02:59:15
quote:
Originally posted by Tatsie-j

yeah its Zebedee who has an innocent fruit soomthie box at 1 end my new snake Bailey has 1 as well Coraline has a terrys chocolate orange box as 1 of her hides lol i have a dunelm mill 2mins down the road from me might have 2 go an have a look!

Looks like Innocent Smoothie boxes are quite a hit then, as I think it was HannahB who also had one .

Great news about having the Dunelm Mill just down the road....hopefully you should be able to find some good stuff to fill out the bigger vivs with. A quote from Kehhlyr about Dunelm Mill 'Dunelm Mill has loads of different types of fake plants and bits of wood in their artificial plant section. The Range had loads in the 'large furry' section (rabbits etc) and some cracking bits of bogwood and climbing/hiding things in the aquatic section. We decked our iguana viv out for a total price of less than 20 quid and still ended up with loads of stuff spare, it's much cheaper than anywhere I've seen online or any rep shop.'

Then we will need pics of course to see how great they look !

xxx
Tatsie-j Posted - 27/05/2010 : 12:14:12
yeah its Zebedee who has an innocent fruit soomthie box at 1 end my new snake Bailey has 1 as well Coraline has a terrys chocolate orange box as 1 of her hides lol i have a dunelm mill 2mins down the road from me might have 2 go an have a look!
Kellog Posted - 27/05/2010 : 04:17:47
quote:
Originally posted by Tatsie-j

Kellog - i was really lucky as the first time zebedee shed i was reading about it on the internet looked up at his tank n hed just started shedding got to watch the whole thing really amazing bit spooky tho as i was reading at the same time! lol hes got a few bits in his tank couple of hides n a branch does need morein there i need cheap ideas tho as money is tight at the mo!......

That must have been so weird to be reading about it and then look up and see it happening right before your eyes !!

It really would be good to pack out his viv a lot more as it is a big space for a small snake. You can use anything like toilet rolls and cardboard boxes for hides and this is a good place to get cheap plants, which are great for filling up and adding ground coverage and colour to his viv - Kehhlyr discovered Dunelm Mills ( http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8346) and now a lot of the forum members use some of their products. Their website is http://www.dunelm-mill.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Browse?storeId=10551&DisplayProductList=true&categoryId=14-14853&catalogId=11100&langId=-1.

Will try and think of some other things you can use cause I totally understand the money being tight part!

xxx

Edited cos I have had a think and a search! I am sure that a forum member has even used an innocent fruit smoothy box for a hide and another uses a smarties tube! It all depends on the size of the snake. You can make your own hides, this link may give you some ideas - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5772
Tatsie-j Posted - 26/05/2010 : 11:01:07
Kellog - i was really lucky as the first time zebedee shed i was reading about it on the internet looked up at his tank n hed just started shedding got to watch the whole thing really amazing bit spooky tho as i was reading at the same time! lol hes got a few bits in his tank couple of hides n a branch does need morein there i need cheap ideas tho as money is tight at the mo!

Mouse - i have all my sheds apart 4 1 of zebedees as he pooed as it was coming off im guessing lol think ive got 4 of zebedees n 2 of coralines

well hopefully in a few days time ill have a shiny new snake 2 show u pics of! should coraline b due 2 shed as well as last time zebedee shed coraline shed 2 days later?!
Mouse Posted - 26/05/2010 : 10:14:53
Just as a side not, I don't know whether you do this anyway, but do you keep the skins? Only because I always have, and the other day I got them all out to see how much she's grown, and was amazed! I'd forgotten how small she was when I first got her. Just thought I'd suggest! :D
Kellog Posted - 26/05/2010 : 03:27:48
I am sure you were relieved when you saw his cloudy eyes Natalie, I am not surprised you were worried....although it will take him a while to get used to him being in the viv by himself, even though it is better for him and for Coraline.

Everyone has given you great replies, it does differ from snake to snake and sometimes between different sheds....but I guess the average is about 3 - 5 days as far as I have been able to work out. Just remember that while his eyes are cloudy, and even in the period between them clearing up and him shedding, he will be partly blind so will get stressed very easily. A lot of snakes spend this period in hiding.

It is great news that he was happy to feed despite being 'blue'....no that you could not offer the pinkie too him once he had got the smell of it and you had discovered his cloudy eyes . Different owners choose different methods for dealing with their snakes during this period - I am one that doesnt handle or feed my snakes from the period that they go 'blue' until they shed as I dont want to add any extra stress, but I know other owners feed their snakes and they will eat quite happily - just depends on the owner and on the snake....and Zebedee is obviously a snake for whom food is more important than anything else !

I hope the shed goes ok and you get to see it. Look out for him rubbing his head against the side of his viv, his hide, branches, etc. He will be trying to loosen the skin around his head and it is the sign that his shed is about to start. But I will warn you - there is a corn conspiracy to shed the minute their owners have left the room so that when they return they can show off their shiny colours !!

When he has shed you need to check the shed skin to make sure that the eye caps and the tail tip have come away cleanly. If these are retained then it can cause problems.....but you know where to come if that happens !

Hopefully we will get to see some pics of him in his bright new shiny colours!

Thinking along the lines of him having been separated now and still being in that big viv....it may be an idea, once he has shed, to fill it out a lot more so he feels secure. I am not sure what is in there at the moment as the only pics I have seen are the ones of him trying to escape ....but he could certainly do with more than the normal 2 hides, branches, lots of plants....just to give him ground cover to be able to move about without feeling vulnerable.

xxx
LittleMick Posted - 25/05/2010 : 22:48:37
Elijah has shed 3 times since I had him, and I only see his eyes go blue once, and even then I nearly missed it. If it was for the fact that he turned his head and the way the light reflected I wouldn't have seen it.But I did, humid hide went it, perfect shed the next day
Dan-sunkist Posted - 25/05/2010 : 21:27:37
it does really varry houdi's eyes whent blue last week and he been in his hide since and not moved i checked on him a few mins ago and still no skin
DannyBrown91 Posted - 25/05/2010 : 20:59:49
It varies from corn to corn, one of mine takes about 4 days from going blue to eyes clearing and then shedding as jay said, one of mine stays blue for about 3 days then sheds around 4 after that and the other goes blue for about 2 days but clears and dosn't shed for a good 5 days after that.
n/a Posted - 25/05/2010 : 20:31:58
In my experiance, eyes go cloudy for a day or two, then they'll clear up for another day or two and then you'll wake up one morning and find a lovely shed skin waiting for you.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000