The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Warm weather issues - advice needed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kellog Posted - 25/05/2010 : 04:56:25
Am having an argument with my OH about the warm weather and the vivs (whats new ). Unfortunately both my vivs are in our lounge that doesnt have any windows to it, just patio doors....and with the weather being so hot it would actually heat up the room even more to open the doors. So I have been keeping the curtains closed all day and have a fan running next to Silvesta's viv, which is nearest the doors.

My OH's point (which is right really) is that all the fan is doing is moving around warm air and that it wouldnt effect the vivs anyway as they are enclosed spaces....but he doesnt come up with any alternative suggestions !!

So what can I do to reduce the cool end temp in them? It is hitting about 25/26oC at the moment.

The bizarre thing is that Silvesta is actually choosing to lay out in the corner of the viv in the warm end....no idea why.

Any suggestions (preferably ones that I can do without OH's help) greatly appreciated.

xxx
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 26/05/2010 : 03:12:02
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

A small PC fan on either side of the viv can usually work well, one blowing in, another drawing the air out.
If you only have the one then try sticking it on a vent to draw the air out as this will force (hopefully) cooler air to into a different vent.

I did say something I could do without my OH's help K....you know my lack of DIY skills! And, if you look in the pics of vivs topic you will see that Silvesta's viv is vented by a long strip along the top, nothing on either side....and Kellog's by a couple on the back, nothing on either side.

If the weather continues I am definitely dropping the heatmat temp but wont turn it off....neither snake is feeding so digestions isnt an issue. But I am still stuck with what else I could do.

LittleMick, you say 888 do these as well....do you mean some sort of fans? Problem is I cant see OH being particularly happy about shelling out £40, one for each viv....

What I STILL dont get is that Silvesta is choosing to stay in the warm end, which is settled at around 28oC....does that mean he is not bothered by the heat or might something be wrong?

Even if I cant work something out at least this topic has helped others !

xxx
Sta~ple Posted - 25/05/2010 : 23:35:04
On the really hot days the snakes that aren't eating I have been turning heating off... There is no way I can col my room down, I have tried but it's just something that happens every year. I figure since the originate from the US (I'm sure they do anyway XD ) and the US is generally hotter than the UK I think they will be ok with what Brits consider "hot" is the way I figure it.

It's been quite cool today though :)
LittleMick Posted - 25/05/2010 : 22:45:01
888 do these as well, it can draw air in or out and couldn't you run this througha stat as well for control?!? Haven't used them personally, 20 quid a pop though
Twi Posted - 25/05/2010 : 22:09:13
My room gets hot cause of the three snakes living here, between their heat mats and my computer/tv/xbox the room heats up quickly in this weather. It's not got too bad now its cooling down but we had one really hot day saturday and I was cooking let alone everyone else, I stuck a bottle of cold water in cool end of vivs for them just so if it did get too hot they had some sort of way of cooling down even if it was just lying up against the cool bottle, only problem is it warms up so needs changing few times a day, was tempted to freeze some but was worried that would be too cold so just stuck to cold tap water and changed it every couple of hours.
Kehhlyr Posted - 25/05/2010 : 20:21:02
quote:
Originally posted by Stumpy

I have found that my room gets excessively hot due to the number of vivs in it.....

This /\

Air-con unit gonna be winging my way soon, that's gonna be in there as well.
Mine is gonna be made fractionally worse by the machines running in mine as well.
n/a Posted - 25/05/2010 : 20:11:09
Might sound a silly idea,but for the few days of heat we get,unless the reps are digesting,why not turn the lights and heat source of during the day?im sure they will survive more comfortable,than being over heated.Also if you get a viv lock ,you could crack open the glass abit and then lock it in position to let more air escape and circulate.Just a thought.
Stumpy Posted - 25/05/2010 : 16:53:35
I have found that my room gets excessively hot due to the number of vivs in it.
The two vivs for the dragons heat to 40 degrees C and the five snake vivs heat to their required temps which heat up the room temp, it does mean that the snake vivs heating is not on as much.
Wood is a good insulator but the glass does allow the heat in the wood reduces the rate at which it escape. I have a water bowl in each of the vivs that allow for the snake to curl up under them and they stay there during the day and move around as the night temps cool down.s
n/a Posted - 25/05/2010 : 13:32:32
Funny this topic should come up! I spent all weekend trying to come up with ideas on keeping my reps cool during the warm spell. My room tends to suffer with a lot of heat soak despite window coverings being closed. It's npot so bad in the morning since the sun as over the other side of the house, but from about 1pm the temps really start to rise!. The viv's are doing ok temp wise, but the crestie's RUB has been dangerously close to overheating a few times already; I've had to relocate him/her temporarily into our lounge as it's about 7 degrees F cooler in there! Fortunately, my housemates have been ok with this (in fact I caught them trying to spot the crestie), but I'm not so sure they'd be so tolerant of P, sadly.

I tried using two pc fans on the crestie's RUB like Kehhlyr has suggested, but as Kellog has mentioned, all they served to do is move the warm air around (and even increased the ambient temps). I also tried some evaporative cooling (Bottle of ice by the fan drawing air in; figured if I could use the ice to cool the air around the fan, then that cool air would be drawn in and bring down the temps a little), but it was nowhere near as efficient as it needed to be (can't beat the laws of thermodynamics!). Got a could of options left, but if they don't work then I might have to resort to investing n some A/C.
Kehhlyr Posted - 25/05/2010 : 09:34:12
A small PC fan on either side of the viv can usually work well, one blowing in, another drawing the air out.
If you only have the one then try sticking it on a vent to draw the air out as this will force (hopefully) cooler air to into a different vent.
Gaz_1989 Posted - 25/05/2010 : 07:54:32
This is a great post.

My lounge where stell lives, is pretty cool in summer, so i am lucky, the cold end has been sitting at around 22c this weekend. Her hot end is 28c pretty much all the time, occasionally hitting 29.5c.

I was going to ask if these temps are about right?

We have been decorating the lounge since friday however, so i have moved stella into the kitchen for a few days, and the cold end in there has been getting to 27c. So cold end 27c and hot end 28c there is little difference. Stella is back in the lounge now and seems fine.

But it got me thinking, what if she HAD to live in that room, or another room that was getting so hot.

What do people do?

And also how do snakes react to this warm weather? In winter Stellas cold end sometimes got as low as 14c, usually 16c-18c though.

Now it is hitting 22c, will she behave differently? or do they know that its summer?

Gaz

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000