The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 shedding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Paul82 Posted - 24/05/2010 : 19:55:50
From when i notice the eyes going a clowdy blue, how long will he take to shed completly, he is 4.2 ft long, ive not had them longonly 6 weeks so its all a bit new.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Paul82 Posted - 25/05/2010 : 23:27:11
Nice one, thanx, i will def get some pic's uploaded. He gone off his food and eyes been cloudy for 4 days now , and he been in his hide almost that hole time just coming out to drink so ive just left him to it.
Kellog Posted - 25/05/2010 : 04:14:02
Both Kehhlyr and Mozacchio have given you great replies Paul. Just remember that while his eyes are cloudy, and even in the period between them clearing up and him shedding, he will be partly blind so will get stressed very easily. A lot of snakes spend this period in hiding.

Different owners choose different methods for dealing with their snakes during this period - I am one that doesnt handle or feed my snakes from the period that they go 'blue' until they shed as I dont want to add any extra stress, but I know other owners feed their snakes and they will eat quite happily - just depends on the owner and on the snake.

I hope the shed goes ok and you get to see it. As has been said, once the eyes have cleared it will be about 3-4 days before he will shed. Then look out for him rubbing his head against the side of his viv, his hide, branches, etc. He will be trying to loosen the skin around his head and it is the sign that his shed is about to start. But I will warn you - there is a corn conspiracy to shed the minute their owners have left the room so that when they return they can show off their shiny colours!!

When he has shed you need to check the shed skin to make sure that the eye caps and the tail tip have come away cleanly. If these are retained then it can cause problems.....but you know where to come if that happens !

Hopefully we will get to see some pics of him in his bright new shiny colours!

xxx
Paul82 Posted - 24/05/2010 : 20:02:25
Cool, thanx for the fast reply.
mozacchio Posted - 24/05/2010 : 20:00:39
Thet usually stay clowdy for 2-4 days, then they clear for 3-4 days and then.. shedding!
But the timetable varies from corn to corn..!
Mine sheds 9 days after his eyes get clowdy!

Electra
Kehhlyr Posted - 24/05/2010 : 19:59:25
Some snakes can do the entire process in a couple of days, some will make you worry for 2 weeks or more.
The average is about 7 days in total from when they start to go blue. Just remember that they'll clear up again before they actually shed as well.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000