The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 A regurgitating corn snake?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
AngelX Posted - 24/05/2010 : 16:53:43
Today I have noticed that my snake has regurgitated his meal that I fed him LAST Sunday.
He seems fine but he has done it once before.
Yesterday was his feeding day but he wasn't interested at all. So I left him and put him back in his viv.
I am pretty worried because the viv temperature is fine and it was over a week ago that I fed him last I haven't done anything different to what I usually do so I don't know what's up with him.
Any help please!
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
AngelX Posted - 04/06/2010 : 15:56:51
Yes I am very pleased too! Thanks everyone!
Kellog Posted - 03/06/2010 : 04:10:24
That is fantastic news Angel, I am so pleased that he is now fine and keeping down his feeds.

Thank you so much for letting us know, it is always nice to be updated when someone has a problem with their snake, especially when the news is good !!

xxx
AngelX Posted - 02/06/2010 : 22:47:09
He seems perfectly normal, I have been keeping a very close eye on him since he threw up. I have fed him again but I went to the reptile shop and bought a load of smaller mice and he has kept it down so far, Thank you all so much for your help ! :]
AngelX Posted - 25/05/2010 : 16:32:36
Yes I will not feed him again for a while!
I do have a good reptile store nearby and I was planning on ringing them tonight as there is a expert there.
He is completely normal in his viv and handling so I would hope that the mouse was just too big.
I am pretty sure that it wasn't his poo, and his poo seemed normal when I did clean him out.
I will keep everyone updated and thank you all so much for your help. X
Kellog Posted - 25/05/2010 : 03:49:02
Firstly I would definitely recommend that you get a digital thermometer to replace your dial one as soon as possible Angel. I think Kehhlyr's comparison of the dial on to a helicopter ejector seat is perfect! I know a lot of forum members use these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230467620317#ht_2935wt_946, although it does only have the one probe and therefore only gives you the reading from one end of the viv. But you could easily buy 2 of them at that price!

It is good that you feed him in a separate box but it would probably be a good idea to remove the substrate from it and cover it with kitchen roll, that just removes the risk of him injesting any of the substrate - whatever it is it can cause problems.

One of my snake's has regurged before, but it was just over the 48hrs after he was fed....and I am sure it was down to the temp in the viv (which has now been sorted).

I do wonder, as he has been pooing normally and is obviously taking on fluids, whether what you saw was actually a poo as opposed to a regurge? Maybe as you had given him that slightly larger mouse he got what nutrients he required from it and finally expelled the tail and hair, which may have needed extra 'slimy-ness' to allow it to pass through. I am NO expert Angel, but I have heard of hair etc being excreted (as HannahB's snakes do) and I am sure that if I found a pile of that in one of my vivs I would be worried it was a regurge.

I would THINK that the fact that he has managed to digest most of it and excrete was isnt needed would indicate that there isnt a blockage (but again, I must stress this is just me thinking it through....I cant speak from any experience).

Sta~ple's question about whether there has been any solid substrate like lumps in his poo is a good one.

I also think HannahB is right, a call to a vet may be worthwhile....just to talk to through with them (although how much help they will be I am not sure). Or if you have a good rep shop near you they may be able to give you some clue.

Is he behaving normally in the viv and when you handle him?

I just wish we could be sure as to whether it is a definite regurge or poo.

I would think it would be a good idea to leave him for 10 days from yesterday before you try to feed him again, just in case it was a regurge and his stomach needs time to recover.

Please keep us up to date on how he is doing.

xxx
Kehhlyr Posted - 24/05/2010 : 22:52:58
Also where is the dial thermometer placed?
Unfortunately those are nearly about as much use as an ejector seat on a helicopter so try to get an IR thermometer or a digi thermometer with a probe (ideally 2 of them for each end of the viv).
The dial one I have in my baby beardie viv is currently reading about 25c, yet I KNOW that where it's sitting is 33c.
HannahB Posted - 24/05/2010 : 21:54:27
might be an idea to feed in a substrate box in future, its possible that a bit of substrate may have been swallowed and is causing a blockage but a vet would be able to say for sure,plus i think that there would be some swelling and a bump where the blockage is
my corns are on small mice now and with all the fur they poop out i did think at first that one of them had regurged,
maybe give the vet a ring and talk to him over the phone and see if he thinks you need to make a treck over there
Sta~ple Posted - 24/05/2010 : 21:38:21
Maybe it was too big then or something was stopping it from getting inside his belly? If it took him 7 days to regurgitate I really would have thought that there would be hardly anything left of the mouse although it should have really passed though in that amount of time and the only reason I can think why he regurgitated it maybe if it didn't get into his stomach properly and it was just inside rotting. It might just be one of those weird and rare things that happen though.

If he ate some of the substrate, that could be very well the reason if it was a big piece. It could have damaged his stomach or blocked off his stomach so that the mouse couldn't get in their to digest. Was there anything that looked like sticky slimy substrate in his regure? It will be worth while looking at his poo to see if their is any solid substrate/lumps in it. It will be solid as snakes stomach can't digest that kind of stuff.
AngelX Posted - 24/05/2010 : 20:57:36
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

What did it look like as well? Was it pretty whole and and just slimy and brown or has it been pretty much digested?

Well It looked like it had a tail and it looked like it had fur. And yes definitely slimy!
AngelX Posted - 24/05/2010 : 20:54:46
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

are you really sure it wasnt a reeeeeally fresh poop?
when you feed him do you feed on the substrate or in a separate rub/feeding box? what is your substrate out of interest?

I dunno because it almost looked like a slightly disformed mouse (Blee) But It looked like it had a tail and fur. I feed him in a separate box but it does have the same substrate in it. I think the substrate is beech. But I know it is definitely NOT cedar! Would him swallowing some of the substrate by accident cause him throwing up then? Not saying that that's the reason!
HannahB Posted - 24/05/2010 : 20:29:37
are you really sure it wasnt a reeeeeally fresh poop?
when you feed him do you feed on the substrate or in a separate rub/feeding box? what is your substrate out of interest?
AngelX Posted - 24/05/2010 : 20:15:09
It was last Sunday around 8 o'clock in the morning and he took it perfectly, infact, he near enough jumped on it and strangled it even though it was dead. I had never seen him attack it like that. I am measuring the temperature by a dial thermostat which I bought at a reptile shop. I use a spray on reptile disinfectant and I wiped it down afterwards. It's called Beaphar.
Sta~ple Posted - 24/05/2010 : 20:11:55
What did it look like as well? Was it pretty whole and and just slimy and brown or has it been pretty much digested?
Kehhlyr Posted - 24/05/2010 : 20:02:08
You say he threw it up yesterday, how long ago had you fed him before he brought it back up? (7 days, 8 hours???)
That small temp change shouldn't have affected him like that, how are you measuring the temps?
What cleaning stuff did you use?
AngelX Posted - 24/05/2010 : 19:05:31
Oh, another thing!
I did turn the temperature of the viv slightly because it started to read almost thirty, but only to about 27/28 degrees centigrade. That was only yesterday, but I wouldn't of thought that such a small temperature change would effect him.
AngelX Posted - 24/05/2010 : 18:49:13
No he definitely threw it up today coz I cleaned him out yesterday.
Do you think it could be something to do with the cleaning stuff? Maybe I didn't rinse it out properly? I don't know. I am worried.
But he seems absolutely fine and doesn't look ill or anything, shiny and bright as ever.
I'm not sure about his fluid intake because I am out of the house all day so I don't get to see him from 8:30-4:30 ish. He looks perfectly normal. Not any different. Not sure about vets as we live in the country side so we don't have very many vets around but I heard there was a good one in Colchester and that's about an hour away. He hasn't been bred before but it said on the internet that they go off their food if they are ready to mate but not sure if that's true or not.
Also, a couple of days ago I noticed his droppings as normal so I'm not actually sure where the sick has came from as I would of thought he had got it all out of his system.
Kehhlyr Posted - 24/05/2010 : 18:03:11
quote:
Originally posted by AngelX

Today I have noticed that my snake has regurgitated his meal that I fed him LAST Sunday............

So he regurgitated food that you gave him about 7 days ago?!?!
Or is there a chance he puked it up a few days ago and you didn't notice until now?

What's his fluid intake like?
What does his vent look like?
Does he feel normal? (not lumpy or squishy anywhere)

Where's your closest rep vet? As if was 7 days after eating that he regurged, then I'd say something could be wrong.

Obviously there could also be a multitude of other things, so can you give us as much info about the snake and it's husbandry as possible, cheers.
AngelX Posted - 24/05/2010 : 17:51:03
Ohh right! Thought i might have scared him or something. :/
I haven't changed the frequency of feeding him at all, always been once a week
But maybe the mouse size.
The first time I bought them they were adult mice,
I bought them from the same pet shop and they were still adults but they did look a tad bigger.
I fed him the smaller ones first and they didn't look that much bigger. Also he did shed 3 weeks ago so he did get bigger. Do you think this is something to worry about?
Or should I just leave the feeding for a week or so and hope for the best?
Sta~ple Posted - 24/05/2010 : 17:45:47
I wouldn't have thought musioc would do anything to be honest. Have you changed the food size of frequency of feeding a all?
Mouse Posted - 24/05/2010 : 17:35:37
My snakes are in my room, and even when i lived in a house share and they had the music next door whacked up loudly, mine didn't have an issue. That's poss just mine tho.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000