The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 what do i need for the faunarium

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
misspiggy18 Posted - 21/05/2010 : 21:20:38
im thinking on getting a faunarium and i know about the hides and the water bowls and the heat mat but what tempreture gages do i need and where should they be kept and where is the best place to put them for the most accurate readings
sorry if i sound silly

moved to relevant section
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LittleMick Posted - 22/05/2010 : 03:49:06
Lol, I think that made sense Bio. But then again, it's 3.48 am so at the min I am inyour world, lol.
n/a Posted - 22/05/2010 : 02:41:38
quote:
Originally posted by LittleMick

The Mat Stat Sensor will be too big to go through any of the hole, so using a drill bit the same diameter, hand drill through the corner of the faun lid. Pop the sensor through and laggy band the sensor and the digi probe together so they are measuring readings from the same spot.

Or you could do it the easy way and tape your stat probe to the actual mat outside of the faun. If you put your thermometer probe inside the faun on the floor as you said you can then use this reading to set the stats max... just saves drilling the hole and risking the snake laying on the actual stat probe and giving false temps.

That would probably make more sense if it was typed during the day, but as it is half 2 it will have to do.
LittleMick Posted - 22/05/2010 : 02:33:12
I have a faunarium for my snakey and he loves it. The set up I got was as follows

Exo Terra Large Flat Faunarium 18" x 12" x 7 1/2"
Habistat Heat Mat 11" x 6" 7w
Habistat Mat Stat
Snake Cave Medium (Cool end)
Exo Terra Hide Small (Warm end)
Aspen substrate
1 x Exo Terra Digital Thermometer (2 is better)
Exo Terra Bostern Fern (for cover and climbing)
Exo Terra Silk Plant (along one side for cover)

I sit the whole setup on top of a polystyrene tile (18" x 12"), this directs the heat from the mat upwards. The mat obviously sits on top of that. Then the faun sits on top of the mat, you should have an air gap between tne mat and the faun, due to the faun feet.
The digi thermometer probe should be able to fit through one of the small holes in the corner, so run that through into the faun and lay it on the substrate at the warm end, preferably directly on the plastic as snakey will probably move the substrate so he is laying as near the heat as pos. The Mat Stat Sensor will be too big to go through any of the hole, so using a drill bit the same diameter, hand drill through the corner of the faun lid. Pop the sensor through and laggy band the sensor and the digi probe together so they are measuring readings from the same spot. Also, to make the hole you hand drilled smaller again, I wrapped tissue paper around the sensor cable and plugged it into the hole. Put your hides in. Water bowl. Stick the silk plant along one of the long sides, for some cover, you will have to bend some of the Bostern Fern branches to make it fit in the faun, this is for climbing and a little cover.

Probably abit in depth, but hey ho
Kehhlyr Posted - 22/05/2010 : 02:11:47
If you're having difficulties with multiple quoting Missed It, then quote each one seperately and I'll join them for you.
n/a Posted - 22/05/2010 : 02:05:00

[/quote]
n/a Posted - 22/05/2010 : 01:57:35
Just read that through,sorry,i was starting to think in viv mode ,as im building one at the momment.

What i meant was put the thermometer on the base of the Faunarium floor,so you read what the snake will recieve.
Thank Bio.

n/a Posted - 21/05/2010 : 21:49:48
quote:
Originally posted by Missed It

Temp wants to be 23-25 ish coolend,30ish hot end.

30 at the hot end is a little too warm, it is generally best to keep them at about 28 degrees, 30 is the maximum and not advised.

quote:

tempreture gauges you need a thermostate for a start,to shut the heat mat off once temp has been reached,also a digital thermometer is a must,i have a exterra stick on thermometer,that came with the tank,to be honest its useless,it hasnt moved in 3 weeks,despite the high temps in the room.

100% agreed, you need a thermostat to control the heat that the mat is putting out, otherwise you will likely burn or kill your snake. Also, as 'Missed It' said, the stick on thermometers are useless and a waste of plastic.

quote:

personaly i put the sensor of the thermostate on the mat its self,so you get a contact reading ie.what the snake will recieve,the digi thermometer also goes on the mat ,to give me a reading of the mat

This all depends where you have your heat mat though. If your heat mat is taped to the outside of the faunarium underneath you can indeed attach the thermostat probe to the mat, but i would never suggest also attaching your thermometer probe to the mat in the same way. I would always suggest that you attach the thermometer probe to the floor of your faunarium inside above the mat, that way you can accurately tell what the temperature on the floor of the faunarium is, not just on the surface of the mat. It may be that the plastic is acting as an insulator and is not as hot as your digi thermometer is saying, it could also be that it is too hot in there due to the temp probe getting a false reading.

If you have your heat mat inside the faunarium you actually have it set up wrong, which can cause issues.

quote:

then you can ajust the thermostate up or down to suit(there not accurate as they read on the dials)then the thermometer will give you the true reading,get 2 of these i have now,so i can check the cool end temp.Hope this helps.

Fully agreed, get two thermometers, one for the warm end and one for the cool... although to be fair the cool end temps are not all that critical.
n/a Posted - 21/05/2010 : 21:33:54
Hi Miss piggy,
I have not long got a hatchling,fortunatly i bought the largest size tank,,saves buying in a few months on a bigger one,already noticed ours growing in 3 weeks.Temp wants to be 23-25 ish coolend,30ish hot end.tempreture gauges you need a thermostate for a start,to shut the heat mat off once temp has been reached,also a digital thermometer is a must,i have a exterra stick on thermometer,that came with the tank,to be honest its useless,it hasnt moved in 3 weeks,despite the high temps in the room.personaly i put the sensor of the thermostate on the mat its self,so you get a contact reading ie.what the snake will recieve,the digi thermometer also goes on the mat ,to give me a reading of the mat,then you can ajust the thermostate up or down to suit(there not accurate as they read on the dials)then the thermometer will give you the true reading,get 2 of these i have now,so i can check the cool end temp.Hope this helps.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000