The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 silly question?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 21/05/2010 : 14:41:55
hi all,
this may sound like a really silly question but here goes any way. I fed my snake its first med size adult mouse two days ago but it does not seem to have had a poo yet. is it possible for a snake to be constipated? or is it that the bigger the prey the longer it takes to digest... p.s does the 48 hour rule after feeding still aplly with larger prey or should i wait a little longer before handeling it....
thanks for your help in advance :)
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mouse Posted - 24/05/2010 : 12:01:43
Yeah, Gobo has too. He's covered his log with white smelly bleh, so I've taken it out to bleach/wash it. He's all irritated at me, but it's his fault! (smelly git!)

When he goes, you can feel him straining, and his whole body goes stiff.
Kellog Posted - 23/05/2010 : 04:17:38
quote:
Originally posted by abrar

thanks guys very usefull info especially kellog, somewhat of a expert aad say lol

Glad to have been some help Abrar!

And no Elament, I dont have much experience of being dumped on....as you so nicely put it ....but I do have a lot of experience of catching! Having said that, you can still get caught out, so no plan is fool proof.

My problem at the moment is not so much the pooing, but with Kellog being horny he is secreting something else and there is no warning of that!

xxx
n/a Posted - 22/05/2010 : 21:15:50
thanks guys very usefull info especially kellog, somewhat of a expert aad say lol
Sta~ple Posted - 22/05/2010 : 12:42:07
It can take up to 5 days for one of mine to poop :o she somehow holds it all in to do one massive on. It puzzles me as she will have one massive lump in her and then it's gone and then a few hours later she lets one hell of a poo out. The others poop 2-3 days after and then do a smaller one on the 4th/5th day.

All of mine except one do the tail thing that Kellog described,:o Char likes to poo without warning it seems, only on men though or on pictures of men XD The others lift their tails nicely and either do t in the corner of the viv or into their water bowel :/

As your snake gets accustomed to it's bigger sized food and grows, the time between being fed and pooing shortens.
elament Posted - 22/05/2010 : 11:38:51
mine generally go a couple of days later but then every now and then throw an extra one in a day or so later.
Nice description of the process Kellog you obviously have a lot of experience being dumped on LOL
Kellog Posted - 22/05/2010 : 02:56:47
I have certainly found that mind tend to have a pattern. They go on about the 3rd day after the meal and then a couple of times after that, spread over a couple of days.

Sounds silly, but I keep a diary of their bowel movements and if I notice they havent been for a while and there is a bulge by their vent I give them a bath as it 'encourages' them to poo.

You do learn the signs of when they are going to poo, although you can get caught out. First thing to look for is the lump near the vent, that it a good sign that a poo is due. Then, when you are handling them they tend to go very still and lift their tails up at an odd angle, their vent protrudes....that is the time to get the kitchen roll ready to 'catch' as it squirts out - and it can squirt a long way.

I dont know if all snakes are the same, but certainly my 2 do that and I have read others say that theirs do the same. I actually prefer it that way as it keeps their vivs cleaner and I dont have to find some horrible little pile hidden under the substrate !

xxx
herriotfan Posted - 22/05/2010 : 00:02:09
No question is deemed 'silly' on here. I've read somewhere that sometimes a snake will get so many nutrients from it's meal that there is really nothing left to get rid of.
n/a Posted - 21/05/2010 : 23:31:42
my boa went a couple of weeks with out doing it when moved up a prey size so wouldnt worry too much
n/a Posted - 21/05/2010 : 15:25:06
lol coolio
gmac Posted - 21/05/2010 : 15:23:02
yes, so keep tissue handy
n/a Posted - 21/05/2010 : 15:21:45
cool... thanks for the helps guys..... but if i handle it before it poops is there a danger that it may have a poo on my hand?
DannyBrown91 Posted - 21/05/2010 : 14:49:36
Thats not a silly question.

It would take longer for them to digest the larger prey item but 48 hours after feeding should still be ok. If its only been 2 days since he ate then i'd just wait a couple of days. Mine normly go on the 3rd day after being fed and mine are only on fluffs.
gmac Posted - 21/05/2010 : 14:49:34
2 days with no poo is not a problem it may take a few more days so dont panic, its not unusual.

and still give it 48 hours with no handling after feeding no matter what size of prey.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000