The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Stella Feeding...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gaz_1989 Posted - 20/05/2010 : 08:29:31
Hi all,

Stella has been having what the shop call "Small Mouse" but i think they are really fluffs/hoppers. They weigh about 10g.

She has had these for about 6-8 weeks now and has gone from 50g to almost 90g in this time. She has just had a massive growth spurt i think. Cant believe she was 12g when i got her! lol.

Anyway last night she devoured another 10g and there was barely a lump after, she was hunting for more food all night untill i went bed.

Should i start offering 2 of these now? Or move her up a size?

Thanks

Gaz
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mouse Posted - 26/05/2010 : 08:53:23
To be fair, I go on size when I'm looking at them rather that weight, but yeah! All the shops in Southampton have different labels. It can be rather irritating, as if I send my OH in to get mice, I have to remember which shop sells which size!
Gaz_1989 Posted - 26/05/2010 : 08:00:55
Thanks Mouse, thats what i will do next time i think.

I usually help myself out of the freezer, its just that where i go there seems to be SUCH a big difference, there fuzzys are like big pinkys and then it goes straight to small mice, which she is on now.

Last night she had 2 of these 'Small Mice' which weighed 17g total weight so about 8.5g each, in my book that makes them big fuzzys? or Fluffs?

She enjoyed them both anyway so thats the main thing :-)
Mouse Posted - 24/05/2010 : 17:39:17
I don't know if your shop will do it, but quite often there is a range of sizes within one catagory, so maybe ask the shop for the biggest fluffs they have, have a look at them as they choose them.
Gaz_1989 Posted - 24/05/2010 : 16:23:45
Thanks for the replies.

The next size up in the shop are medium mice (these are probably ACTUALLY small mice though) and they look twice the size of stellas width, so too big.

I will start feeding 2 of the smaller 'fluffs' which she is on now.

Thanks

Gaz
Kellog Posted - 21/05/2010 : 03:51:26
Stella is doing so well Gaz, it is amazing to think back to how small she used to be when you first got her.

It certainly sounds as though they are fluffs, rather than small adult mice....but I have found recently that shops name their mice differently - OH just bought a load of 'large' to move Silvesta up and they are no bigger than the mediums he is on.

It may be worthwhile looking at the next size in the shop and seeing if they are more than 1.5 times the width of Stella's girth. If they are then it is no go....

I would think that the best idea is to try multiple feeds for a while to bulk her up before moving her to the next size. I know this seems bizarre in some circumstances as it means that when you do move her up she would actually be eating less weight than the multiple feed combined, but she would be bigger and therefore more able to handle the next size up.

That is what I am doing with Silvesta at the moment, he is on 2 mediums (well, the large that are actually the weight of mediums!) and once the bump has gone then I will look at moving him up.

But I am no expert Gaz and have just gone by what I have felt was right - Silvesta was already on this when I got him and I dont think he is big enough to move up to the next size yet.

I would be interested to see what others with more experience have to say about Stella (and Silvesta....apologies for thread-jumping ).

xxx
Lilpunk Posted - 20/05/2010 : 17:11:38
It's good to hear Stella's doing well So are you feeding on fluffs then? Not too sure really, but I'd say move up a size or do it gradually by adding the weight on in small amounts (ask if you can get a weight for the ones in your shop?)
Good luck! Lil xx
elament Posted - 20/05/2010 : 13:47:26
This is the last pic I took about three weeks ago

elament Posted - 20/05/2010 : 13:44:02
Dunno bout weight mate but she is a year old and about 22" long. She is still massively underdeveloped for her age but that was due to her not feeding for the first seven months of her life.
Gaz_1989 Posted - 20/05/2010 : 13:28:22
How old and heavy is Xena mate?

She devours the fluffs now and there is barely a lump after.

Thanks

Gaz
elament Posted - 20/05/2010 : 12:21:51
Be carefull mate. My Xena was supposedly big enough for a fluff now according to more or less everyone who saw her but when i gave it to her it was too big and she regurged. Fortuneatly it did no harm and after ten days i put her back on large pinks and she has been fine since.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000