The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 biting/striking

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 20/05/2010 : 07:14:14
my sister has got her self a corn snake after she saw kellogs
but she got him out of the paper!!
when we went to pick him up the man who had him was handeling him and they didnt seem to be a problem at all we let him settle in for a week hes succesfully shed and is feeding on a jumbo mouse once a week with no problems at all i was getting him out the viv and handling him as my sis was a bit weary of hurting him and he seemed fine but a couple of weeks ago i went to get him out out and he striked at me and bit me i dont know what caused it i did the same as i always do with him and kellogs i havent changed my perfume or anything like that and now even when one us go to get him out for his feed his tales rattling and hes striking even if u sit near the viv and he spots you he strikes at the glass.
hes around 5 years old and around 5 1/2 foot long really dont know what to do with him ive tried just been confident and just going for it with him (as im not really scared of him but everyone else is) on the rare time that i actually get him out his viv he seems fine with beeing handled but its just getting him out i started the thread because i went through the forum and most people was saying treat him like a hatchling but ive tried this and no change.
just dont know what to do with him i dont know how his last owner treat him but i just wanna look after him could it be hes frightned for some reason or maybe hes a lost cause? i really dont know so any tips would be a great help xxxxxxxx
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 21/05/2010 : 03:30:14
The first thing that hit me when I read your opening post Holly was that your sister's corn was being fed a jumbo mouse once a week ! Normally you wouldnt feed a snake that large on that sort of meal more often than every 10 days to a fortnight. Kellog is now on his maintenance diet (when he eats ), which is a jumbo mouse every 2 weeks....and he will stay on that for the rest of his life probably. How much does your sister's corn weigh?

It could very well be that originally he was fine while he was getting used to settling in, but now he knows he it there to stay he is trying to assert his viv dominance. Strange comparison I know, but we recently got a dog from Battersea and were warned that the first month is almost a honeymoon period and once they feel safe they start pushing the boundaries....trying to show who is boss, and you just have to show them! It does sound a bit like this with him....he just needs to be shown who is boss and that he is coming out of his viv whether he likes it or not.

Just be calm, patient and show that you are confident when you go to get him out - even if you dont feel it. It is a shame that no-one else feels able to handle him because he could do with being got out on a regular basis. I think that it is important that if you go to get him out that you dont then give in and leave him alone cos of his reaction....that way he has won.

It is going to take time Holly and constant repetition of getting him out and handling him, until he can feel totally safe and realise that he doesnt have the choice about staying in his viv or coming out - you are the boss.....and even though you are dominant over him that does not mean you are going to hurt him!

Have you tried contacting his previous owners to see if they ever had this problem with him?

One thought - is he fed in his viv?

Not sure if you found this thread on taming an adult when you searched, but if not then it is probably worth a read - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8233

xxx
Dan-sunkist Posted - 20/05/2010 : 18:48:35
its strange i have seen and heard of hatchlings striking but never a domesticated adult unless there a bit mad some of my friends have had corns for years and not once have they been bitten and they have some really nice big specimens.
hope he settles down
n/a Posted - 20/05/2010 : 15:54:18
Thanks guys Dont think its change of place we hav had him a over a month now so il just keep tryin with him an see what happens it sounds the same as the monster lol but once hes out hes fine im guna leave da doors open 4 him an see what happens x
Gaz_1989 Posted - 20/05/2010 : 08:34:12
There was an adult corn in a reptile shop near me a few weeks ago, i go the gym with the owner so im good mates with him. Anyway he was scared of this snake and said it was 'a monster' lol. I was winding him up telling him not to be a wimp and just pick it up, if it bites, it bites!

He told me that i was welcome to try but none of his staff would dare to touch it and it was only having its water changed twice a week.

I took up the challenge, pretended not to be scared at all and went straight in to pick it up, it was hissing and rattling but i completely ignored it, didnt hesitate at all and just picked it up. Luckily i didnt get bit. I handled it for 10 mins with no problems.

I think it is common that they dont like being picked up, but im sure that if you persevere then it will be okay with time.

Gaz.
KITTYCAT Posted - 20/05/2010 : 07:41:47
Dont no what way your viv opens but if it is sliding doors you could try opening them and let him nosey out himself just dont leave him unattended. when he rattles he is warning you to stay away. It maybe the change in surroundings or smells if he had been with his other owner all that time.good luck

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000