The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Need info on the heat mat

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Paul82 Posted - 19/05/2010 : 20:42:33
Can i put my snakes hide over the spot were the heat mat is coz thay not laying on it, will it get to hot for them ? its just that when i get them out thay feel cold and thay head down my sleves to get warmth from me coz thay feel a lot warmer when i put them back. Cheers Paul
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 25/05/2010 : 04:58:08
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

You had answered it Kellog, I read the thread twice and somehow it didn't register so posted.

It was after I posted that it registered in my swede, but I just didn't bother editing after that.

Did wonder if that was the case Kehhlyr but am getting a bit paranoid that people think 'oh no, not another Kellog comment....' and skip it without reading it !

Thanks for reassuring me that you did read it....even if it didnt register in your swede !!

xxx
Kehhlyr Posted - 24/05/2010 : 00:24:43
You had answered it Kellog, I read the thread twice and somehow it didn't register so posted.

It was after I posted that it registered in my swede, but I just didn't bother editing after that.
Paul82 Posted - 24/05/2010 : 00:02:51
Thank u I Have got stat and thorm sorted and in rite place now. To anser your Q Kellog, i have got 2 males About 2 years old and have been together all there lives and never had any probs. im not to sure on there morphs but Casper is albino with faint yellow and pink markings and Rusty is redish brown with thin back lines around the saddles, he is about a foot bigger but a real softy, were Caspers a bit timmid.
elament Posted - 22/05/2010 : 11:10:44
[/quote]

Have answered this in your other thread about it Matt. The forum member who had his probes vertical was Elament....this thread may be worth a read through just as it explains why they need to be horizontal - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8402

xxx

[/quote]

Can vouch for that it was me Both my set ups are the same now with the probes for both thermometer and thermostat rubber banded together and laying flat in direct contact with the mat.
Kellog Posted - 22/05/2010 : 04:30:18
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

quote:
Originally posted by Paul82

Can i put my snakes hide over the spot were the heat mat is coz thay not laying on it, will it get to hot for them ? its just that when i get them out thay feel cold and thay head down my sleves to get warmth from me coz thay feel a lot warmer when i put them back. Cheers Paul

To answer your original question,
Yes you can put the hide over where the heatmat is.

Sorry Kehhlyr....thought I had answered Paul's original question....

quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

You need 2 hides, one in the cool end and one in the warm end. The one in the warm end can go on top of the heatmat, as long as it has a stat controlling it.

xxx
Kehhlyr Posted - 22/05/2010 : 04:21:40
quote:
Originally posted by Paul82

To answer your original question,
Yes you can put the hide over where the heatmat is.

Also just to add that NO HEATMAT would crack a glass bottomed tank unless the heatmat was either unstat'd or a fair amount of cold water got poured onto the glass.

To be perfectly honest if either of those happened then I would question the husbandry and indeed the potential health of any snake being kept in the tank.
I've been using glass vivs for a few years and never had one crack because of a heatmat, A perfect example was HissleHoffs viv when his spiked to nearly 60c, that didn't crack then so I'd like to know at what temperature a heatmat would have to get to before it cracked the glass without water being involved.
Kellog Posted - 22/05/2010 : 03:18:30
quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Brooks

My heat mat is on the outside of my RUB, ill move the proves now, do they need to be under the substrate?

Have answered this in your other thread about it Matt. The forum member who had his probes vertical was Elament....this thread may be worth a read through just as it explains why they need to be horizontal - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8402

xxx
LittleMick Posted - 22/05/2010 : 02:54:32
Staple is right on the "cracking" subject, I have read from members on other forums, when they had the mats on the inside of glass or in direct contact with glass it cracks it, this is why you should place it on the outside, and you should have an airgap between the mat and the glass to allow airflow, although as per the Exo Terra Heat Mat guide you stick the mats directly to the glass!! But better safe than sorry and I personally would have the air gap.

As for the tat sensor probes, the whole fat bit at the end is the probe, that is why it is supposed to be horizontal. Think of it as sticking your finger TIP on the surface of boiling water, you wouldn't really feel anything, now stick your whole finger and see the difference. So that's why you lay the probe horizontally to get the full contact and correct readings.
Sta~ple Posted - 21/05/2010 : 16:13:26
Imagine a heatmat would have the same effect inside/outside a RUB, just getting one to fit one nicely might be a problem. Plus if you have multiple small snake and 1 heatmat it's easier to heat them with one mat outside of the RUB :D

With glass it is different because glass can crack and get incredibly hot. and it will be less hot on the inside of the viv than on the outside. It's very difficult to explain ^^; Generally the crack would form on what ever side the heatmat is in direct contact with, if it's on the inside and it starts to crack and your snake end up in contact with this then bad stuff can happen while your snake is less likely to get hurt if the mat is on the outside and the glass starts to crack on the outside as well.

You can put heatmats outside wooden vivs but the mat would then have to work even harder to get to the desired temperature inside the viv and even then, it might not reach it.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 21/05/2010 : 14:53:01
quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Brooks

My heat mat is on the outside of my RUB, ill move the proves now, do they need to be under the substrate?

I thought i read that you had the heatmat on the inside Sorry, all good now though.

quote:
Originally posted by devilsmistress

I have always read and been told they go on the outside!

Me too but my heatmat instructions say they should go on the outside of wooden vivs aswell...

Where as we put them on the inside.
Matt_Brooks Posted - 21/05/2010 : 13:37:16
devilsmistress Posted - 21/05/2010 : 13:36:35
I have always read and been told they go on the outside!
DannyBrown91 Posted - 21/05/2010 : 13:18:05
quote:
Originally posted by devilsmistress

Sorry Danny but with glass or plastic the heat mat goes on the outside with wood it goes on the inside!

I have mine on the outside, but surely it would be ok on the inside aslong as it is properly statted and monitored?
devilsmistress Posted - 21/05/2010 : 13:15:18
Sorry Danny but with glass or plastic the heat mat goes on the outside with wood it goes on the inside!
DannyBrown91 Posted - 21/05/2010 : 11:39:25
The probes should be horizontal, laying flat on the floor. There was a member on here can't remember who but he had his probes that way and found that they were around 2c's off so when he thought that his tank was at the right tamperature it was infact a little on the warm side.

Im sure the heatmat would be fine inside the RUB, but i personally have mine outside with 2 holes for the stat and therm probes.
Matt_Brooks Posted - 21/05/2010 : 08:22:25
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

Both Danny and Gmac have made good points Paul. I am assuming your snake is in a wooden viv with the heatmat inside it?

A heatmat must be controlled by a stat, otherwise the temps can get so hot that they can burn your snake. You also need to have a digital thermometer to monitor your stat (they have been known to malfunction) and so that you know what the exact temp is in the warm end of the viv.

How are you measuring the temp at the moment? What is it?

You need 2 hides, one in the cool end and one in the warm end. The one in the warm end can go on top of the heatmat, as long as it has a stat controlling it. I think that most of us cover our mats with a small layer of substrate and then deepen it to borrowing depth towards the cool end. The probes for the stat and the thermometer need to be laid together, horizontally, on the heatmat and weighed down with a heavy hide or stones to stop you snake moving them. If you dont have the stat and thermometer then you need to get them as a matter of urgency.

Have a look at this topic to see the importance of having the stat and thermometer - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9675

You mention snakes (plural)....are they being housed together? How old are they and what sex are they? (sorry to digress off your original question, but I was just wondering.)

xxx

Sorry to thread hijack a little but I have my probes coming through the side of the RUB and then down to the bottom with the tip just touching the substrate is this still ok? The probes are vertical.

Matt
Kellog Posted - 21/05/2010 : 04:23:58
Both Danny and Gmac have made good points Paul. I am assuming your snake is in a wooden viv with the heatmat inside it?

A heatmat must be controlled by a stat, otherwise the temps can get so hot that they can burn your snake. You also need to have a digital thermometer to monitor your stat (they have been known to malfunction) and so that you know what the exact temp is in the warm end of the viv.

How are you measuring the temp at the moment? What is it?

You need 2 hides, one in the cool end and one in the warm end. The one in the warm end can go on top of the heatmat, as long as it has a stat controlling it. I think that most of us cover our mats with a small layer of substrate and then deepen it to borrowing depth towards the cool end. The probes for the stat and the thermometer need to be laid together, horizontally, on the heatmat and weighed down with a heavy hide or stones to stop you snake moving them. If you dont have the stat and thermometer then you need to get them as a matter of urgency.

Have a look at this topic to see the importance of having the stat and thermometer - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9675

You mention snakes (plural)....are they being housed together? How old are they and what sex are they? (sorry to digress off your original question, but I was just wondering.)

xxx
gmac Posted - 19/05/2010 : 21:05:42
ideally you should have 2 hides, one in the hot end and one in the cool end with the temps in the hot end about 27-29 degrees C, if the temps are regulated by a stat this will not get too hot for your snake.

The snake will seem colder when you lift it out as their temps are lower than ours so will naturally seem cooler, but so long as your viv temps are fine all is ok with that.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 19/05/2010 : 20:57:11
Do you have a stat regulating your heatmat and a digi therm monitoring the temps?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000