The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 New Set Up Advice.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 18/05/2010 : 01:01:42
I am thinking about buying a new set up for my snake. I was thinking this: http://www.netpetshop.co.uk/p-28500-perfecto-glass-reptile-habitats.aspx - Anyway, I have a big heat mat but would I need a lamp to stick on top too? Something like: http://www.netpetshop.co.uk/p-26318-exo-terra-glow-light-porcelain-clamp-lamp.aspx + http://www.netpetshop.co.uk/p-26374-exo-terra-sun-glo-neodymium-daylight-basking-spot-lamp.aspx - He's not big enough but I have been curious. I'm not buying this anytime soon, just curious. Thanks!
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 21/05/2010 : 04:00:50
quote:
Originally posted by abrar

hi all..... just needed a little advise peeps, just wandering at what age or size should i move my corn to a bigger tank... its about 11-12 months old at the mo..... i was told to change it over around 18 months is this correct? thanks

It is a good idea to start your own thread when you need to ask a question Abrar.....but to answer you, you cant really go by the age of the snake as to when to move it to a bigger tank as all snakes grow at different rates. Once the snake's length = the length + width of the tank it is in....then is the time to move it up in size.

xxx
n/a Posted - 20/05/2010 : 01:43:22
Oh covering itis a good idea. I was told that if the snake happened to pee in the wire or it could brun itself and all sorts of stuff so I never tried. Thanks again!
n/a Posted - 19/05/2010 : 12:34:17
hi all..... just needed a little advise peeps, just wandering at what age or size should i move my corn to a bigger tank... its about 11-12 months old at the mo..... i was told to change it over around 18 months is this correct? thanks
Kellog Posted - 19/05/2010 : 04:50:42
I have 2 wooden vivs Colby and love them (have got pics of them downloaded onto computer just havent got as far as putting them onto forum yet). They are great bits of furniture, give the snakes a feeling of safety being covered on 3 sides with wood and then you can see in through the front glass sliding doors.

I heat them using heatmats (covering approx one-third of the viv floor area), lying on the base of the viv. I have these covered with vinyl, although this isnt necessary, and then a small amount of substrate sprinkled on top. I find they work really well and as they are controlled by stats and monitored with digital thermometers I can see that the temps only change one or two degrees, averaging about 27.5oC.

The snakes only need the heat from the base, you dont need to heat the air at all....so just having the heatmats are sufficient and they are on 24/7 so there is a constant temp in their vivs and they can choose whether to go to the warm or cool side, depending on how they feel.

You could use that wooden viv for snakes....just fit a divider to make the area smaller that the snake is in, slowly moving the divider and making the area bigger as the snake grows.

xxx
n/a Posted - 19/05/2010 : 01:13:12
Thanks guys. Light is not for viewing, just for heat. But I get it now. :) How do you heat up a wooden vivarium? I bought a http://www.homes4reptiles.com/vivexotic-vx24-beech-vivarium-p-12.html but now I know it's too big for the previous snakes I had. But apparently your not supposed to place a heat matt inside but it doesnt heat from the outside so how would you heat this thing up? =S [I Prefer full glass tanks of evn those exo terra glass terreriums! I hate thatwooden thing, just used for storing snake items]
n/a Posted - 18/05/2010 : 12:51:03
Oops - just seen a post on the general forum about 'post hijacking' - Colbyleung, please ignore my last post, and forgive my ignorance.
n/a Posted - 18/05/2010 : 12:47:37
Has anyone had any experience using actinic bulbs (aka moonlight bulbs) with their snakes, so that they can view them at night with minimum disruption? I used to keep tropical fish, and found that an actinic was perfect for viewing the nocturnal species of p1ec I kept, which would run and hide if I turned on the main tank light.
Kellog Posted - 18/05/2010 : 03:04:42
Figs is right Colby. Some of the forum members use heat lamps to heat their vivs and others use heatmats....but you dont need both otherwise the temps will get too high.

The snake doesnt actually need the extra light, the daylight that it will get is enough. Those of us who use heatmats only have lights in the vivs for our own benefit, so we can see our snakes. We use low wattage low energy ones.

Looking at the info on the lights you are suggesting the Glow light does not give you any idea of what heat it might emit....but I certainly like the idea of having light to view my snakes at night (especially as I am up at such silly hours of the day/night!). The Daylight Basking Lamp certainly emits a heat but would only be on during the day. As far as I am aware corn snakes absorb their heat from their bellies, so therefore through the substrate, rather than from the sun - so a basking lamp seems an unnecessary expense.

Figs is right, you should be able to get the temp needed by just using a heatmat.

I can only go by what I have read in the info about the lights - I dont have any experience with them, but in my personal opinion they are probably not necessary - but please be aware that it is only my opinion, not experienced advice.

xxx
Figs Posted - 18/05/2010 : 01:41:15
So long as you can get the right temperature for your snake with just the mat, then you wont need a heat lamp :)
You can of course use one (as long as it doesnt make the tank too hot) - they help you to see the snake better, but he might hide away more

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000