The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 waterfalls

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 13/05/2010 : 16:01:51
ive been looking at waterfalls for my viv i know my kellogs like to swim in his water dish so just wondering wether there suitable
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 19/05/2010 : 07:03:08
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

quote:
Originally posted by holly n kellogs

quote:

They are good temps but the dial therms arn't very accurate so you need to get a digital therm as soon as you can.

yh i have a digital therm in ther at the min

Sorry from your previous post i thought you had took a dial therm off the viv wall and put it at floor level.

So do you have the probe touching the aspen? if so temps are fine.

As said some snakes just like to bathe but i've never heard of one being in the water bowl quite so much.

i think shes bathing that much as shes just come up to shed and ive had her around 3 weeks a month now so maybe thats why shes doing it alot xxxx
Sta~ple Posted - 15/05/2010 : 20:12:27
I also imagine a waterfall would be a waste of money as there's no way an adult could fit in there.

How often is your snake pooping? He just might be a bit constipated. You know how a warm/bath shower makes you want to go XD
hillzi Posted - 15/05/2010 : 18:24:46
Also the constant chundering of water the vibrations I beleive would annoy your snake.

Waterfalls are expensive and can break easy from what I've heard, breeding pool for bacteriums and the water can splash onto the aspen and cause it to rot, especially if it spills when your'e not around.

Also as Hannah said, exposure to higher humidity can cause R.I's and scale rotting.

Not sure if this has been asked but;

Is it near shed?
Are there any black specks in the bowl?

Tom.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 15/05/2010 : 14:38:28
quote:
Originally posted by holly n kellogs

quote:

They are good temps but the dial therms arn't very accurate so you need to get a digital therm as soon as you can.

Sorry from your previous post i thought you had took a dial therm off the viv wall and put it at floor level.

So do you have the probe touching the aspen? if so temps are fine.

As said some snakes just like to bathe but i've never heard of one being in the water bowl quite so much.
Sta~ple Posted - 15/05/2010 : 13:56:53
Venom used to be in his water dish a lot when he was younger and the temps were fine and no mites. He did it to help him shed and young ones and yearlings shed quite a bit and hey also eat more often and the water helps the poo. Char did the exact same thing as well. Now that they are older, Venom never soaks even now that I have brought him something to soak in and I see char maybe do it once or twice a year now. I notice my little ones aiming their bottoms so when they poo it ends up in their water so I have no doubt that when I give them a bigger water bowel, I will see them soaking in it.

To be on the safe side though you might want to check for mite topics. I think snake mights are a fairly rare thing to be hontest, it only really happens if the petshop/owner/ has obtained either a wild snake/touched or a captive bred one has been in contact with a wild snake. Of course snake mights can spread like wild fire but It's very unlikely since most breeders and petshop owners don't stock wild snakes.
n/a Posted - 15/05/2010 : 13:40:12
quote:

DannyBrown91 Posted - 15/05/2010 : 10:55:31
n/a Posted - 15/05/2010 : 08:28:55
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

Mites certainly could be an issue but I think it is very likely that Kellogs might be finding the viv a bit hot. If I remember correctly you had a heatmat, lights and a hot rock at some point and were measuring your temps from part way up the viv wall....so have no real idea of what the temps are that he is actually experiencing. I know you have got rid of the hot rock since but do wonder what your temps now are in the warm end - at substrate level, over the heatmat.

Some snakes do like soaking in their water bowls, it is just something they do....but first you need to make sure that there is not a reason behind them doing it.

xxx

yeah i got rid of the rook and turned the light of ive put the thermoeter at the bottom of the warm end just about aspen level and im getting a reading of 26-28oC now what would the ideal temp be and whats the treatment for mites xxxx

Kellog Posted - 15/05/2010 : 04:12:24
Mites certainly could be an issue but I think it is very likely that Kellogs might be finding the viv a bit hot. If I remember correctly you had a heatmat, lights and a hot rock at some point and were measuring your temps from part way up the viv wall....so have no real idea of what the temps are that he is actually experiencing. I know you have got rid of the hot rock since but do wonder what your temps now are in the warm end - at substrate level, over the heatmat.

Some snakes do like soaking in their water bowls, it is just something they do....but first you need to make sure that there is not a reason behind them doing it.

xxx
Fal Posted - 14/05/2010 : 22:33:37
Bella went in her bowl a lot when she had mites, since we got rid I haven't seen her in it once. So like was said above, could be that or high temps (latter easily fixed).

As for waterfalls, again, would imagine it would cause too high humidity as Hannah mentioned, plus combined with the higher temps in a viv, can cause build ups of bacteria so would need cleaning a lot! It is a shame though, because it would look wicked!

Get something like a rainbow tree boa, you need high humidity for them, would look ace hehe..
DannyBrown91 Posted - 14/05/2010 : 13:26:11
quote:
Originally posted by devilsmistress

If your snake is in the water bowl that much Id be inclined to say its either Mites or your temps are to high?? Just a thought.

This is what i was thinking.

What are your temps, are you using a stat and how are you monitoring them?
devilsmistress Posted - 14/05/2010 : 13:10:07
If your snake is in the water bowl that much Id be inclined to say its either Mites or your temps are to high?? Just a thought.
herriotfan Posted - 13/05/2010 : 16:31:22
I've got a waterfall in my crested geckos terrarium to help keep the humidity up. Like Hannah said that could cause problems with a snake. I wouldn't use one in with Sidney.
n/a Posted - 13/05/2010 : 16:19:14
ive noticed it about twice a week maybe more dont know if shes doing it more as im at work all day and i really only see her on a night so i often fall asleep watchin her lol xx
HannahB Posted - 13/05/2010 : 16:17:13
its not really recommended simply because of the increased levels of humidity it could cause, corns dont need high humidity levels and prolonged exposure to it can cause RI's which arent nice,
how often does your snake go swimming in his bowl?
n/a Posted - 13/05/2010 : 16:13:05
yh i think so think it would look quite good and better then swimming in your water bowl eh lol x
simonw Posted - 13/05/2010 : 16:12:09
I've thought of putting a water feature of some kind in as well.
One of mine loves going in water.

Nice idea. Let us know your design. Are you thinking of a small pond pump or something similar?

Simon

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000