The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 wood chip???

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 12/05/2010 : 14:51:08
i recently wood chip in my viv but have recently been told its dangerous to the snake as they cant digest it so ive now got aspen in there (which i think i prefer) but now ive been told the same thing about aspen i have seen sand and stuff in my local pet shop and wondered wether its ok to use or not?????/
any one have any tips they wud be a great help xxxxxx
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 15/05/2010 : 04:25:13
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

What is with the name Kellog serisouly anyway though XD your snakes look nothing like that chicken on the cereal packet ;p

Kelloggs corn snakes i mean flakes

I actually think there may be more than 3 Kelloggs on here.

I think you are right Danny, although I cant remember who owns the others. Also think there is a Crunchy Nut and a Cornflake and something else but my brain fog is terrible at the moment so the name escapes me....

xxx
Sta~ple Posted - 14/05/2010 : 17:02:04
I think your right about the more than 3 Kellogs. But is that really seriously the reason why there is snake's called Kellogs? I can't help but think of a box of cereal with a snakes head on it hovering over a bowel of ceral XD

OMG I just got it now! nm XD personally, I think Froties would be a good name for someone who had a snow XD
DannyBrown91 Posted - 14/05/2010 : 16:56:53
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

What is with the name Kellog serisouly anyway though XD your snakes look nothing like that chicken on the cereal packet ;p

Kelloggs corn snakes i mean flakes

I actually think there may be more than 3 Kelloggs on here.
Sta~ple Posted - 14/05/2010 : 16:26:24
I have no problem with peope feeding in the viv but I feel if you feed in their you should also put the mouse on something quite big so that they don't manage to drag onto substrate. Yes wild snakes probably do eat stuff they shouldn't but there's a difference between captive bred and wild snakes. Snakes can't digest plant matter so it normally passes though solid. Wild snakes may eat dirt or maybe a leave that is stuck onto the mouse which isn't likely to harm them but most captive ones live on wood and any sharp points I imagine could easily damage the stomach. Sorry for what ever that is ^^; I fed mine in the viv a few months ago so I really don't have a problem with it, honestly, it's just more precautions are needed.

elament Posted - 14/05/2010 : 15:31:08
He has been a lot quieter the last few days so I am gonna try to feed him again tonight although I am expecting a blank as I got him out last night and he looked a bit pale and will never eat when in shed. My other corn Xena (ringer for your hissin-sid) is female so no problems there she can eat for her country bless her lol
Kellog Posted - 14/05/2010 : 04:56:41
quote:
Originally posted by punumbear

so is tht 3 kelloggs we got on here now??? ......

We have the one and only Kellog (mine of course ), your Kellogg Punumbear and now Holly's Kellogs!!! Great name of course ....and so perfect for a corn snake !

xxx

herriotfan Posted - 13/05/2010 : 16:45:32
Hi Steve,
I would totally agree with you in your circumstances. I think Holly was just very concerned as a new owner about her snake eating substrate and the answers were varied and down to personal choice. As long as Holly is reassured and has found a way of feeding that suits her and Kellog then we've done a good job!
I hope Colin's hormones soon settle down, bless him!!
elament Posted - 13/05/2010 : 16:16:25
I cant feed Colin out of his viv. He grew up viv fed and is now being a finicky eater anyway as he is hormonal. Consequently I have had many a time when I have had to leave the food on a dvd cover overnight. There is a chance he may injest some substrate if he feeds unattended in the dead of night so I know it could happen but I feel in this circumstance the only sub I would use would be aspen (or when feeling particuarly parranoid paper). Perhaps I am just too mechanical in my way of thinking which is that in the wild they would be naturally picking up all sorts of stuff when feeding so they must be equipped with some sort of way of dealing with at least some injested stuff whether it be by detection and spitting out or passing through their system. I been viv feeding colin now for nearly a year and maybe its luck but i have not had any problems having said that there was an istance where i had to wrestle a piece of aspen from his gob after a feed but then if i had left him he may of spat it out himself???
Just my views
Steve
n/a Posted - 13/05/2010 : 15:19:07
thanks u lot will defo be goin with the aspen n feeding him outside his viv now is there a certain depth for the aspen i noticed some of you saying about burrowing and just wondered xxxxxx
punumbear Posted - 13/05/2010 : 14:40:39
so is tht 3 kelloggs we got on here now??? aspen all the way was clear out time yesterday for my lot the caro loves it now hes got deep bedding.. he was submarining everywhere yesterday was so funny to watch.. gotta love all the lil characters..lol
Kellog Posted - 13/05/2010 : 03:53:48
I have never heard of sand being used as a substrate Holly. As far as I know it isnt a good idea as corn snakes aren't desert snakes and sand can get stuck under their scales causing infection. It is also harder for the snake to bury itself in sand as it pushes back on the snake. Aspen is great cos it looks good and is great for the snake to burrow in. A lot of us are changing over to Aubiouse, a horse bedding made of hemp - but it can be hard to get hold of in small amounts.

Where you feed Kellogs is a matter of personal choice, and you have already seen that forum members feed their snakes different ways - both inside and outside their vivs. I used to feed my Kellog inside his viv but was worried about ingestion cos he used to drag it off whatever I put down to cover the substrate.

I now feed him and Silvesta on a towel on the living room floor - but then they are adults so it is easier....cant imagine doing that with a little one !! They are both not eating at the moment as they are horny so I have taken to trying to feed them in a shoebox with airholes in the lid (have managed to get Silvesta to eat a few times).

There are a few ways you can move Kellogs from wherever you feed him. Firstly you can do as Herriotfan suggested....once Kellogs meal has moved about half way down his body gently lift him out of the box/tub/RUB, supporting him on either side of his bump, and move him back into his viv. I dont remember how old Kellogs is (sorry ). If he is small you can lift him using the kitchen roll like a sling or hammock. Or you can tip the box/tub/RUB slightly at an angle and allow Kellogs to slide back into his viv/faun of his own accord (if the set-up allows).

It depends on how you are planning on offering food to Kellogs. You can either just put the mouse in the box/tub/RUB with him or you can dangle the mouse to try and get him to take it - maybe even strike and coil !!

Why dont you do a post in the Welcome section so that we can all say hi properly and find out a bit more about you and Kellogs ?!! And NEVER apologise for asking questions !!! It is much better that you ask them and get some answers than dont ask and make a mistake - that is the last thing we want! Answering questions is what the forum is here for !!

xxx

Sta~ple Posted - 12/05/2010 : 17:45:57
If you look on the care sheet it helps you which ones you can use. Although with any substrate I would bed outside the viv personally as I tried putting kitchen roll down over the substrate but they sometimes move about while eating so they ended up dragging the foof off the towel and into the substrate in which I had to pick it off while they were eating >.< I fed my little ones in a lunch box that no-one will use and the adults in a RUB.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 12/05/2010 : 16:51:08
quote:
Originally posted by Taz Devil

I usually empty sids water bowl and put the mouse in there. If the mouse is still there the next morning then I remove the mouse, wash out the bowl and fill it up with fresh water.

Don't know wether i would do that personally, it means that the snake has no access to water if it needs a drink.

I feed mine in a seperate tub (spare Faun) as i find it easier. If i was going to feed in the tank i would probably just put it on a bit of kitchen paper, but i've not had to leave food in their fauns yet.
Taz Devil Posted - 12/05/2010 : 16:05:05
I usually empty sids water bowl and put the mouse in there. If the mouse is still there the next morning then I remove the mouse, wash out the bowl and fill it up with fresh water.
herriotfan Posted - 12/05/2010 : 15:57:18
You could use any sort of container that has deep enough sides to confine Kellog for feeding. As long as you stay with her then you won't need to worry about a lid. When I feed Sidney I get the mouse ready to feed him and have my tongs to hand, I wash my hands, then get Sidney out of his viv and put him into his plastic rub, which has a sheet of kitchen roll on the bottom, then I dangle the mouse just in front and slightly above him. It's not many seconds before he strikes the mouse and I let go. After he's eaten and the mouse has gone down past his neck I very gently scoop him up and put him back in his viv. Then I leave him alone for 48 hours before i handle him again. I do change his water and check his viv each day but I don't touch him.
I find feeding time very fascinating but I do keep as still and quite as possible because I don't want Sidney to get anxious at all and regurge on me!
It's not a silly question to ask.....please don't be afraid to ask anything!
Gosh, that was a long reply....hope it helped!
Kehhlyr Posted - 12/05/2010 : 15:57:07
I use plastic tubs, or the kitchen table myself.
Figs Posted - 12/05/2010 : 15:45:04
Dinger is an amel :)

and just feed her like you would inside the viv... only not in it lol
i use a 'critter keeper' as my feeding box - snake in, mouse in, mouse swallowed then snake out
simples
n/a Posted - 12/05/2010 : 15:40:07
and what be the best thing 2 feed her in outside the viv and would i just need 2 drop it in as usual (sorry silly question) then after she ate it put her back in to her viv
n/a Posted - 12/05/2010 : 15:36:10
quote:
Originally posted by Figs

i wouldnt use sand
i'm not 100% on the exact reason, but i would have thought it can get under their scales and be pretty darn irritating
...and if leopard geckos are anything to go by, sand is even more dangerous and indigestible than aspen or woodchips.

Since snakes dont usually make a habit of eating their substrate, its safe to have aspen in there even if they cant digest it
Feeding outside the viv, or even inside the viv on a piece of paper or a blanket or something will reduce the risk of them ingesting it

my pair love their aspen!
burrowing through it must be fun - plus its soft and spongy

and hello!
i dont think i've spoken to you before

thank you and hello i dont think weve spoke before either.
would you mind telling me what morph dinger is coz from lookin on that pic hes a lot like kellogs and im really no sure at the min
n/a Posted - 12/05/2010 : 15:34:31
thank you both very much i currently feed him on a slightly raised flat rock i havent seen him eating any substrate or any thing so far so think ill feed him out side his viv

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000