The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Feeding a shedding snake?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
AngelX Posted - 09/05/2010 : 13:38:43
Hello,
I noticed my snake going a funny colour a couple of days ago, and since then he has got duller in colour and really grumpy!
I haven't handled him at all since then as he kept going to bite a log that I moved in his enclosure.
I have now noticed his eyes going cloudy so I know he is in mid-shed.
It's his feeding day today and I'm not sure if I should feed him today or wait uintil the whole process is over.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gmac Posted - 15/05/2010 : 10:39:13
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14
AngelX Posted - 15/05/2010 : 09:48:13
Thank You!! will try that next time.
Does anyone know how to attach photos?
Kellog Posted - 15/05/2010 : 04:19:03
quote:
Originally posted by AngelX

Thank you everyone it has put my mind at ease!
The good thing is he shed last night and has all eventually come off after trying to get the last bits of his tail off!
Am now trying to figure out how to attach photos!!

Well that is what the forum is for AngelX - giving us help and stopping us worrying !

So glad he has shed and you have managed to help him with the last tail bits.

Next time it may be worthwhile doing a few things to help him shed more cleanly next time.

Once you see him go 'blue' you can add an extra water bowl into his viv on top of the heat mat. Dont just move the original water bowl as your snake will not want to be drinking warm water. This will help raise the humidity, but will only work in wooden vivs. In faunariums there is too much ventilation so the extra humidity is lost.

I also mist my snakes' vivs once a day in the morning, nothing more than that as you dont want to cause the humidity to rise too much as this can cause respiratory infections.

Once his eyes have cleared you can add a damp hide which will also help. In a wooden viv you can put the moss in the warm hide but in a faunarium you would need to put it in both hides to help him loosen his skin.

As for posting pics, this link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14.

xxx

Fal Posted - 14/05/2010 : 22:30:08
Those tail end tips, our corn and my brothers king both needed help with their tails lol, Bella is currently in blue eye mode at the moment and very dull, so we will probably be going through the same soon :)
AngelX Posted - 14/05/2010 : 17:58:38
Thank you everyone it has put my mind at ease!
The good thing is he shed last night and has all eventually come off after trying to get the last bits of his tail off!
Am now trying to figure out how to attach photos!!
Kellog Posted - 12/05/2010 : 04:07:29
quote:

First I noticed him going a dreary colour, then, his eyes started to go greyish red. But nearly as soon as I noticed his eyes his skin started going back to it's normal colour, now, I think 2/3 days after I first noticed him going back to normal he is as bright as he was before if not brighter, but his eyes are nearly grey.. Is this normal??
Sorry for the long and confusing message :)

Am not sure what morph your snake is but it is normal for them to go dull with cloudy eyes first and then for the skin to clear up but the eyes dont totally return to normal - meaning that they are still partially blind during this time. It has caught out new owners before who have seen their snakes looking all bright but no sign of a shed skin ! It will be a few more days before it sheds.

Checkout my previous comment to see what to look out for.

xxx
Fal Posted - 11/05/2010 : 23:57:02
I fed Bella whilst she was shedding and she took two and a half hours to eat a pinkie that usually would have taken thirty seconds :/ was soooo scary! So I won't be doing it again, they can go weeks without food (not recommended though lol), so I recon one week whithout whilst shedding wouldn't harm, but that's just my two pence worth :)
AngelX Posted - 11/05/2010 : 16:37:18
Thank you!!
I will have to decide on whether or not I should feed him during his shedding process!
Another thing,
First I noticed him going a dreary colour, then, his eyes started to go greyish red. But nearly as soon as I noticed his eyes his skin started going back to it's normal colour, now, I think 2/3 days after I first noticed him going back to normal he is as bright as he was before if not brighter, but his eyes are nearly grey.. Is this normal??
Sorry for the long and confusing message :)
Kellog Posted - 11/05/2010 : 03:07:20
quote:

Thank you everyone!
I have just fed him a mouse as an experiment!
The good thing is he is eating it with no problems!

So glad that your snake fed. It is a personal choice I think about feeding during the period of them going blue and shedding. I am one of those owners who have chosen not to feed during that time - my thinking being that as they are partially blind I want to avoid as much stress as possible and as I feed out of the viv that would entail moving them etc - I also avoid all handling, even once their eyes have cleared (probably the hardest time for me as I get withdrawal symptoms from not having my snake time !!)

A corn is very hardy and it wont bother them missing a feed during this time, no matter how small they are.

I hope the shed goes ok and you get to see it. Once the eyes have cleared then it will be about 3-4 days (as Danny said) before he will shed. Then look out for him rubbing his head against the side of his viv, his hide, branches, etc. He will be trying to loosen the skin around his head and it is the sign that his shed is about to start. But I will warn you - there is a corn conspiracy to shed the minute their owners have left the room so that when they return they can show off their shiny colours!! I hope we get pics of him soon.

xxx
Sta~ple Posted - 10/05/2010 : 22:16:37
Well some snakes use the mouse to shed and then eat the mouse afterwards :/
DannyBrown91 Posted - 10/05/2010 : 21:21:14
quote:
Originally posted by Rik

Khan will eat while shedding but I personally dont feed him. I figure its easier to shed if you aint had a huge meal and gained a dress size stretching the loose skin.

I don't feed mine whilst in shed, but i did it to see wether they would take it and know that candy and casper will where as Reggie will barely even look at it.
Rik Posted - 10/05/2010 : 20:57:09
Khan will eat while shedding but I personally dont feed him. I figure its easier to shed if you aint had a huge meal and gained a dress size stretching the loose skin.
AngelX Posted - 09/05/2010 : 15:40:58
Thank you everyone!
I have just fed him a mouse as an experiment!
The good thing is he is eating it with no problems!
n/a Posted - 09/05/2010 : 15:12:24
Slinky will hide away- NOT to be disturbed!
She she misses a feed!
I then feed her when she has shed
xXx
DannyBrown91 Posted - 09/05/2010 : 14:20:44
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

some will eat, some won't. Its just trial and error until you get to know your own snakes :)

Totally agree, 2 of mine will eat whilst in Blue and one won't eat from when he starts to dull in colour till after he ahs shed his skin.

The whole process normly takes 1-2 weeks. You will notice his eyes start to go blue soon, then they will clear and he will probably shed a couple of days after that but how long it takes varies from snake to snake.
AngelX Posted - 09/05/2010 : 14:19:32
Thank you all of you!
I'm going to feed him later to see if he wants to eat! :)
n/a Posted - 09/05/2010 : 14:11:13
we have one of each houdi NEVER refuses food but tiggs wouldnt eat while in shed last time
eeji Posted - 09/05/2010 : 14:04:00
some will eat, some won't. Its just trial and error until you get to know your own snakes :)
Sta~ple Posted - 09/05/2010 : 14:01:39
It's a hard one to call really, my adults eat while in shed but some others don't. I'd wait until after the shed or next feeding day otherwise you'll waste a meal for him if he doesn't eat it. But then again, you could see if your snake is an eater while in blue :)
AngelX Posted - 09/05/2010 : 13:55:20
No that is helpful!!
Thank you!
I'll try feeding him later!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000