The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Bit of guidence please

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 04/05/2010 : 04:04:14
I have just bought my 3year old corn & he was due to feed the day I bought him but he didn't eat. Iv had him 3 days now and he has layed in the same spot for 2-3 days now. I havnt tried to handle him yet I will leave it a few more days. Also I set my heat mat up & put a sheet of card board over it so it wouldn't burn the ASPEN bedding, is that ok? Holla back peeps x ste
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
punumbear Posted - 04/05/2010 : 21:43:11
cant put it much better... biggest must must must is stat n therm ..nice one kellogg..lol
n/a Posted - 04/05/2010 : 19:13:01
What Kellog Said!!!

xXx
Kellog Posted - 04/05/2010 : 06:09:07
Hi Steve.

We would normally recommend that you follow the one-week rule (it is more of a guide than a rule but worth adhering too!)...no handling or feeding for the first week to allow your snake to get over the stress of the move and for him to get used to the new smells and his new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so he can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You mustnt worry about your corn not feeding for that week, corns are a lot hardier than we realise and going for a week without food will not do them any harm, no matter how small they are. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting your snake to de-stress and feel safe with you. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake.

Dont worry about him laying in the same spot for the time you have had him, he is probably scared.

It would really help if we had a better idea of your set-up. Is he in a wooden viv? Does he have 2 hides? Does your heatmat have a thermostat? That is vital, otherwise it can heat up to the point where it can burn your snake if it burrows. You also need a digital thermometer to monitor the temps in the viv as stats can malfunction. The temp in the warm end needs to be about 27 - 29oC. What are yours? The cardboard isnt necessary as the heat mat SHOULDNT burn the aspen, especially if it is controlled by a stat. If you dont have a stat you need to get one as soon as possible as it is dangerous running a heatmat without one. Most of us just have a light covering of substrate over the heatmat, with a hide on top, and then deepen the substrate to a depth the snake can burrow in the cool end. Do you have a light in your viv?

Have a look at http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm, it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133.

The more info you can give us the more help we can be.

xxx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000