The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Hormonal Males

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
elament Posted - 01/05/2010 : 21:10:05

Dunno if all snakes work to the same time clock but my Colin has just now started eating in earnest again. He is now back to striking and constricting and has eaten now two weeks on the trot so I think he is over his fruity stage so all of you out there that have similar males that are not eating your long wait may be coming to an end.

Incidently I dont know if it may help but I got him to eat both times by wiggling a warmed up mouse in the doorway of his hide. I simply slid a dvd cover under the doorway propped up one side of the hide a little so I could see him then plopped the mouse on the dvd cover in the doorway and wiggled it with me fingers. Its dangerous but worth it in the long run and a trick I will be using again if need be. Its made him strike and coil and put him back to the striking ferocious feeder i remember before he went all hormonal.

Good luck with all yours

Steve
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hillzi Posted - 17/06/2010 : 09:52:25
Not even a sniff on Wednesday..
elament Posted - 17/06/2010 : 09:26:26
Thats excellent news Judith I am well pleased for you and can totally relate to what a shock it is when they finally do eat. Lets hope its the start of many feeds.
Kellog Posted - 17/06/2010 : 04:27:24
Sorry to bump an old topic BUT Kellog ate on Tuesday!!! First time since March and he has lost nearly 100g, but I am not too worried about that. Didnt think I had a chance, weighed mouse and promptly forgot weight as didnt think he would eat....warmed and brained it....put him in box and weighed him....and then as I was lowering mouse to put it into the box with him his head came up and his tongue started flickering. Nothing momentous....just interested. So I dangled and he very slowly and calmly nosed around the mouse and then took it gently in his jaws and pulled it down!! I put the lid on the box and left him too it....in total shock!

Silvesta ate for the 2nd week in a row now, although no interest in striking....didnt seem too interested to begin with, just aware that it was there and I thought 'Oh no, here we go again....' and then he did the same thing as Kellog....a sniff around and taking it carefully.

Going to feed them both in the box for one more feed just to be sure they are back feeding properly and will then return to feeding them on the floor like I used to.

So for all of you out there with horny males who still arent eating....there is light at the end of the tunnel !!

xxx
elament Posted - 14/05/2010 : 12:33:01
Yep the waiting game is all we can do judith. Part of owning male snakes i am afraid (at least one of mine is female and can eat for her country)
Kellog Posted - 14/05/2010 : 04:52:36
I do hope that it is due to Colin going in to shed that he has gone off his food again.

Tried the stomach slit with Kellog - and it is a lot harder and so much more disgusting with a jumbo mouse than with a medium one - but he totally ignored it....in fact he slid all over it as though it wasnt there ! So I guess it is a case of wait another couple of weeks and try again....

xxx
herriotfan Posted - 13/05/2010 : 18:00:14
When I feed Sidney I squeeze the nose of the mouse, with the tongs, until it bleeds a bit and he loves it! No accounting for taste.
elament Posted - 13/05/2010 : 16:19:04
Interesting to know cheers
Sta~ple Posted - 13/05/2010 : 16:02:39
I think blood also simulates them to eat so you could just randomly poke a hole in the mouse and spred the blood on it's nose a bit. I defrosted a large mouse which had been frozen with a bloody nose and as it defrosted, it started to leak and har wnet crazy over it lol never seen her more willing to eat.
elament Posted - 13/05/2010 : 16:00:17
Well the Colin mystery has shed some light he seems a bit paler today and going by his records he is due a shed again in about 2 weeks so that may be the cause of his fasting again. I do hope it is coz I dont fancy perfoming a part autopsy on a mouse thank you but thanks for the braining tip I may try that sometime it doesnt sound quite as messy.
Kellog Posted - 11/05/2010 : 03:37:50
Well, the good news is Silvesta ate again....the bad news is that I slit again which meant I gave him a mouse with its intestines hanging out - I still cant believe the lengths I will go to get Silvesta to feed! Now the dilemma is how long do I keep feeding him like this before I can get him feeding normally again.....

xxx
Sta~ple Posted - 10/05/2010 : 18:50:25
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

You would need a sharp knife though as they are touch when frozen x.x

I wonder if it's possible to get males castrated so they don't get horny XD

Considering they don't have testicles, it'd be pretty hard. and plus their sexual organs are internal. It'd only be necesary if the male had a prolapse.

To brain the mouse, I put a nail at the back of their head/top of the neck and tap with a hammer.

No destruction but brain juices are exposed... yum.

Well as they pop out I guess you could cut them XD but then again it is quite mean. Never heard of a male prolapse before lol but then again I never heard of anything other than people having an anal one before so..
hillzi Posted - 10/05/2010 : 18:03:37
quote:

Considering they don't have testicles, it'd be pretty hard. and plus their sexual organs are internal. It'd only be necesary if the male had a prolapse.

To brain the mouse, I put a nail at the back of their head/top of the neck and tap with a hammer.

No destruction but brain juices are exposed... yum.
Kellog Posted - 10/05/2010 : 12:20:37
quote:
Originally posted by elament

Just to let you all know after two feeds Colin has gone all hormonal again and refused a feed on friday so it looks like its back to square one again Sighs

Sorry to hear that....but not surprised. Due to feed Silvesta later today so trying to build up my confidence for slitting its gut again ....but to be honest I wouldnt be surprised if he doesnt eat, he is still really active. I just hope he does, he doesnt have the weight to lose like Kellog does.

xxx
elament Posted - 09/05/2010 : 13:16:53
Just to let you all know after two feeds Colin has gone all hormonal again and refused a feed on friday so it looks like its back to square one again Sighs
Sta~ple Posted - 07/05/2010 : 14:51:48

elament Posted - 07/05/2010 : 11:34:19
Might be an idea to slit the stomach when its frozen I would guess it would be less of a mess till it thaws out
newsnakekeeper Posted - 06/05/2010 : 18:59:47
Judith thanks very much for explaing bout the none feeding as you say i will just build shearer back up to fuzzies then build him up from there he willmove up when he ready to i think snakes rule yeah and they will eat bigger mice wen they ready lol
Kellog Posted - 06/05/2010 : 03:35:20
Craig, am afraid I cant answer that as I havent experienced it with mine. I know that sometimes they need reminding about how to eat and the fact that they need to eat (which, I think, is what happened with Silvesta when he was confronted with a mouse with its guts hanging out). I seem to remember being told that they almost get used to not eating - but you know my memory so dont rely on it. At least Shearer is eating and hopefully you can offer his a fuzzy again soon and he will eat. He only lost a small amount of weight considering he didnt eat for 6 weeks. He is now putting his weight back on, so just take it slow and build him back up to fuzzies like you did before.

quote:

Kellog, was this more or less messy than braining?

I would say it was more messy Sta~ple. Never did like the feeling of crushing the skull and the eyeballs popping out....but getting the knife to cut through the fur and flesh enough to expose guts and blood was gross but obviously worth it.

xxx
Sta~ple Posted - 04/05/2010 : 15:57:09
Kellog, was this more or less messy than braining?
newsnakekeeper Posted - 04/05/2010 : 13:43:05
Kellog well done you dont think i could do that though slit the stomach of the mouse not to keen on braining mouse. Can some one tell me if it is natural for corns to go back over on feeding when they have been fasting. My corn shearer took a fuzzy the day after he last shed in Feb but then fasted for 6 weeks and now is back to 1 pinkie per feed. Dont know why but i am disappinted with myself bout this and feel as though i could have done more. He lost 2grams wen he fasted putting his weight down to 24grams but last weighed before feeding last sat was upto 30 grams.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000