The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Marge's first shed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
glynjones Posted - 01/05/2010 : 21:05:06
Hi all
I noticed over the last few days Marge's skin has been looking dull and today her eyes are misty and looking a bit blue/grey.
My kids are really exited to see it and my son has already asked for the skin!!

Is there anything i need to look out for or do?

Glyn
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 12/05/2010 : 04:22:37
It all sounds as though it is going really well Glyn, especially with your OH getting involved as well....maybe she will want a corn of her own soon so you can enlarge your collection !!

I totally understand about the kids attention span....it is a bit like HannahB's !! My son is the same, but luckily the snakes seem to have grabbed his attention and held it.

Am so pleased that you got to see some of her shedding cos it really is an amazing process....they almost seem to 'walk' out of their old skin....I cant think of another way to describe it.

Well done for feeding in the tub - it really is much easier and less worrying....and it gives you a lot better opportunity for feeding pics !

xxx
glynjones Posted - 11/05/2010 : 17:23:36
Thank you for your very kind offer Kellog, luckily enough both my kids have the attention span of knats with particularly low attention spans, so next time should be ok. Christopher (my son) was facinated by Marge's head skin that was intact and he did take that to school.

I got to see most of it, she had her head free and was rubbing herself really hard up and down the log in her faun, but as it was the first time since I have had her, I did leave her in peace, will try for pics next time.

Also when I fed her on Sunday, I fed here in a large tub with kitchen towel in, it went really well and was much easier this way. No worry about substrate etc, actually my wife fed here this time!!!!
I weighed her as well, she has put on 10g since I got her and know weighes 70g.

Glyn

Thanks again

Glyn
Kellog Posted - 08/05/2010 : 04:15:38
quote:
Originally posted by glynjones

Marge shed successfully yesterday, i was supprisedby how quick she did it. it only took about an hour.
The kids were a bit dissappointed though as she pood on the shed skin, the only bit i got was the skin from her head (eye bits intact).i also found the tip of her tail , so all bits accounted for.

I am so pleased it was a successful shed Glynn, it is always a bit of a worry. Did you get to see it?

Unfortunately pooing in the shed skin or on it is quite normal as they seem to 'hold on' until they shed and then immediately 'release' to get some relief !!

Am glad all the bits are accounted for, well done for checking the eye-caps and tail tip. I am just sorry your kids havent got a full shed snake skin to show off to their friends....but there will be another chance soon (and if they cant wait that long let me know and I can pop one in the post for you, check my profile for my email address).

xxx
glynjones Posted - 07/05/2010 : 18:41:14
Hi all

Marge shed successfully yesterday, i was supprisedby how quick she did it. it only took about an hour.
The kids were a bit dissappointed though as she pood on the shed skin, the only bit i got was the skin from her head (eye bits intact).i also found the tip of her tail , so all bits accounted for.
Sizzlesmum Posted - 02/05/2010 : 20:51:25
It is exciting when they shed. I have to take the skins into work to let the girls see them
glynjones Posted - 02/05/2010 : 19:14:21
Thank you for your very kind offer Kellog.
I will let him now in the morning(at work at the mo, nights again).I am sure he will be chuffed!!
When i checked her this afternoon her eyes were completly blue where theu were only misty yeaterday.
I don't know who is more exited the kids or me...
Will up date as she goes on, hopefully with pics!
Glyn
Kellog Posted - 02/05/2010 : 05:22:09
Hi Glyn. If Marge's skin is looking dull and her eyes are misty then you have a few days to wait before she sheds. First her eyes and skin will clear up, which always confuses new owners because they think their snake must have shed but there is no sign of a shed skin! She will still be partially blind at this point and it will be about 3 to 4 days after that before she sheds, although all corns differ with their timing.

I am one of those people who doesnt handle or feed my corns from the point of them going blue to them shedding, but that is my personal decision. Certainly try to feed her and dont be worried if she doesnt take it, but hopefully she will.

I have only ever misted my vivs lightly once in the morning when my corns turn blue, just to increase the humidity slightly. I have only done this as Kellog's first shed with me was not a great one so I decided to see if that would help and it did. I would wait and see how she does with her first shed, without any help, and then if there is a problem with any retained skin you know where to come and you will know to increase the humidity the next time she turns blue....but there is no reason why there should be a problem and hopefully she will shed fine.

Look out for her being more active and rubbing her head against the side of the viv, her hide, any branches, etc. This will be her beginning to loosen the skin around her head to start the shed....and when it happens it happens quite quickly. I do hope you get to see it - although I am sure there is a corn conspiracy to wait until their owner has left the room and then quickly slip out of their old skin in time to show off their lovely new colours when the owner walks back in !

When she has shed make sure that you check the shed skin for the eye-caps and tail tip, as if these are retained they can cause problems.

I do hope you get a clean shed in one piece for your son to take to school. If not, and he is really upset and cant wait until she next sheds, let me know as I have both Kellog and Silvesta's last full sheds that I could send him (both over 4'!)....maybe they could make do on the off chance that Marge doesnt get it right first time.

xxx
glynjones Posted - 02/05/2010 : 00:40:05
Hi
Thanks for the reply.
I think his plan is to take the skin to school, although his mums not so keen.
Marge is also due a feed tomorrow, i was planning to try and feed her and see what happens, some of the views on here suggest she might not be that interested.

Glyn
herriotfan Posted - 01/05/2010 : 21:47:39
You may find she just wants to hide away until she has shed. I'm told that snakes go blind when they are shedding and are easily stressed, not surprisingly! It might be best to just leave her alone.
Some people put a container of dampened moss in the viv to up the humidity but not everyone thinks that's needed....you only have to read the posts on here to see the differing views.
I'm fairly new to snake keeping and I was lucky with my snake that he shed without any problems at all.
I'm sure you'll get lots of advice for the more experienced owners if necessary!
Will your son take the shed to school? It's very exciting for them!!!!
Hope all goes well

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000