The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 feeding problems

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 30/04/2010 : 19:24:08
hi my name is kayla. i have a 2 year old corn snake which i have had since a baby.Always ate well up until 8 weeks ago but now refuses to eat but is drinking regulary and very active.He always wants to get out of his home instead of showing any interest in eating.Anyone got any ideas please.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 01/05/2010 : 03:41:34
I agree with Danny, unfortunately it is that time of year when males can only think of one thing and it isnt food ....both mine are the same.

I got Kellog a year ago and he refused his first feed with me and then continued to not eat for 13 weeks ! As someone who hardly knew anything about corns I was panicking, but luckily it was what led me to this forum and they explained what was going on and what to do - they kept me sane and they havent been able to get rid of me since !

Danny's suggestion about keeping an eye on his weight is a good one, that way you can be sure that he is only losing a small amount of weight down to a natural fast (breeding season) rather than losing a lot of weight due to an unnatural fast (illness, stress).

Double check your set-up, ensure the temps are ok etc....just to eliminate any other reasons for him not eating.

Then it is a case of carrying on as normal. Keep to his normal feeding schedule (dont be tempted to feed him more often as this will only stress him out). Offer him the food and if he doesnt take it you can leave it in the viv overnight, but to be honest I wouldnt bother. You just keep doing that until one day he will suddenly surprise you and eat.

That is what I am doing with mine at the moment with mine, although I am warming and braining the mice as I do want to tempt Silvesta to eat as quickly as possible....he doesnt have the weight to lose like Kellog does. He is still 'climbing the viv' and trying to escape all the time, so is definitely still feeling horny....I just hope he comes out of it soon. I THINK breeding season is over soon, but am no expert and also know that every snake is different, so it may differ from snake to snake, and it also is probably dependant on their age.

But I do know that corns can go a long time without food so it really is not something to worry about (easy to type but hard to do, I know).

Hope that helps.

xxx
DannyBrown91 Posted - 30/04/2010 : 20:08:16
Yes it is called braining. This will often kick off the snakes feeding instinct. You can try this if you want but don't worry if he dosn't take it. Just keep an eye on his weight so you know how much he is losing.
hayleyb93 Posted - 30/04/2010 : 19:34:38
You could always try i dont know the proper word for it but a guy at the reptile shop i go to calls it braining, basically you cut into the things head and it stimulates the snake to strike, this worked with my snake as in the beginning he refused to eat but when i did this he normally ate it. I dont know much but i'm sure others here will know more than I do.
n/a Posted - 30/04/2010 : 19:27:06
how long will this last for.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 30/04/2010 : 19:25:42
Its breeding season so many males go off their food and become active looking for a mate.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000