The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Field Mice

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 29/04/2010 : 19:42:01
This might be a really stupid question, with possibly a very obvious answer but......

I have 2 cats and live beside a lot of fields, so you can imagine the amount of "presents" they bring home. My Eugene is nowhere near big enough to be having adult mice yet, but i'm wondering whether it could be a possibility when he's older to actually have the mice the cats bring home????
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mouse Posted - 04/05/2010 : 09:55:16
It would have needed to be a very big box to fit him in...if he was a snake, he'd look like he'd been on a 2 yr diet of lardy rats!
Sta~ple Posted - 30/04/2010 : 18:53:59
Nah, cats are just cruel animals like that. No matter how much you need them, they somehow catch a mouse, kill it, give it a bit of a chew and then just leave it and try to find another alive one.
n/a Posted - 30/04/2010 : 17:20:10
would that death be being locked in a small box to be bitten to death by mice lol?

yeah i dont think id feed anything i didnt know the origins of - £1 for a mouse or a few hunderd quid in vets bills - not worth the risk - shame tho - its almost like the cat wants to feed him!
Mouse Posted - 30/04/2010 : 17:12:42
When I was living in an old house (with housemates) we had a mouse infestation, and I was constantly worried that one of the housemates would get Sprockett out and get her killed by some tooth wielding wild mouse :S

I kept my room locked, and threatened him on pain of death....a nasty death.
Sta~ple Posted - 30/04/2010 : 13:37:49
My dad asks the same thing ever time and then says "but wild snakes would eat wild mice". I then have to explain that the mice could have eaten some poison which could kill my snake.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 30/04/2010 : 08:36:14
Better to ask and see what others think, than do it and it go wrong.
n/a Posted - 29/04/2010 : 21:20:01
Ha ha thanks everyone.

Think i got the answer that i was expecting. Didnt think so, but the thought just popped into my head the last time one of them brought one home. lol
hillzi Posted - 29/04/2010 : 20:24:55
quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

nice to see that everyone has answered so nicely and not bitten shaka1980 hed off

I wouldv'e but I don't think she tastes that nice..

Only joking, wer'e not like other sites
reptiledanny Posted - 29/04/2010 : 20:19:32
like everyone has sed, not really advisable

nice to see that everyone has answered so nicely and not bitten shaka1980 hed off
hillzi Posted - 29/04/2010 : 20:10:31
Echoing what the others have said, plus, your cat is most likely to have decapitated the mouse to some degree.

Noobish quesion or not, well done for actually asking it - couldv'e risked some serious damage to your snake.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 29/04/2010 : 19:51:58
I wouldn't risk it. Not only will the mice likely have parasites. Plus your cats will have had them and could have put other germs on the mouse potentially causing your snake to become ill.
Lilpunk Posted - 29/04/2010 : 19:44:08
It's not recommended as wild mice can carry parasites and disease - plus, you don't know what they have been eating and whether they will meet the nutritional needs of your snake.
Some people probably believe it's ok to do so, but I think a little bit of money spent on pre-killed mice, in a hygeneic environment can save a lot of money from vet bills etc.
gmac Posted - 29/04/2010 : 19:43:13
wouldnt risk it, never know what bugs and the likes wild mice have.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000