The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Swimming Spasm. Biting too.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 28/04/2010 : 00:00:51
Hello. I have a 4 month butter corn snake. He can't seem to swim. He just has spasms. The water is tepid as its supposed to be. All the other snakes ive had can swim but they were at least 2 months older. Is it development? He swam well for 5 seconds and then spasmend again.

When I pick him up he sometimes bites. Why? and how do you get them to stop?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 02/05/2010 : 11:31:08
I think the best way is to add a moss hide once his eyes have cleared. This link gives you advice on how to make one - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3699&SearchTerms=damp+hide

xxx
Sta~ple Posted - 02/05/2010 : 11:04:07
Yeh I would think so I would get a temp cardboard box or a plastic or pot ne such as a plant pot
n/a Posted - 02/05/2010 : 09:35:45
Okay thank you. I was really confused on that. So add to the hide? Will that not make anything mold?
DannyBrown91 Posted - 01/05/2010 : 19:11:37
Yer you just either put a new damp hide in his viv or add spagnum moss into one of his other hides. Then if he wants to he can use it.

Edit - 25 degrees can feel warm to the touch as 37 degrees is our core temperature, by the time the blood as got to our hands it is much cooler.
Sta~ple Posted - 01/05/2010 : 18:36:30
Um I think you put the moss in the viv where the hide is.... I'm not 100 sure on that though...
n/a Posted - 01/05/2010 : 18:03:30
That makes no sense. His Viv is 25 and that feels warm? Anyway yes, I didn't say I wasn't going to listen. But I doubt I'm gonna bathe them again. I like the spagnum moss Idea. Is it okay to close a lid on a box while the snake is in there with some damp spagnum moss. And it has air holes. just leave them in there for 10 mins? I heard that somewhere but just want to check. i ahvent done that. Ive just left a box in his viv with spagnum but some people say they just slither out and so. I got confused so whats a effective way to use it?
SexyBear77 Posted - 01/05/2010 : 17:51:39
quote:
Originally posted by colbyleung

Theres no way the water I put him in burnt him though. I touched it and it was pretty cold. More "tepid".

38 is far too hot for a corn, and would have caused him some severe discomfort. Hence why I asked earlier what the temp was....

It won't have felt hot to you, because human body temp is 37c- but believe us, it is too hot.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 01/05/2010 : 17:47:11
cold/warm to you yes, but not necesarily for your snake.

38 degrees wouldn't have burned your snake, but a little bit warmer and it might of.
n/a Posted - 01/05/2010 : 17:43:46
Temp ranges from 25 to 28. It stays in the safe thing of 21 - 30. Like ive read it has to. I found the info of that temperature on 3 different care sheetr sites[referring to water temp]. I used a thermometer. I have a stat and I monitor it with a digi therm. Theres no way the water I put him in burnt him though. I touched it and it was pretty cold. More "tepid".
DannyBrown91 Posted - 01/05/2010 : 16:58:37
the temperature is the most likely cause of his "spasms" as already said 38 is much too hot and you are lucky yoi havn't burned him.
It is always best to double check things if you arn't possitive that you are correct.

As said above a bath should be the last resort, if you want to help him with his shed then give him a damp hide although most corns do fine with absolutely no intervention.

Just out of curiosity what is the other forum you use and is it where you got all the information from?

What are the temps in your viv/faun? Do you have a stat? Do you monitor temps with a digi therm?
eeji Posted - 01/05/2010 : 15:41:19
38 is way too hot, thats most likely the problem. try around 28-29 degrees C, it will feel fairly cold to your touch so use a thermometer.
n/a Posted - 01/05/2010 : 14:06:11
Sorry. He has a coconut hide, and little plant pot hide and a resin log hide. Climbing branch, water bowl and aspen bedding. Also a hanging plant but its sideways so he can go into it. I was told the water had to be 38. The temperature was the same for my other snakes and I've never seen this. His behaviour is fine. He doesnt bite much now since I got him 2 weeks ago. His shedding is a bit bad so I've put him in a moss box for a bit. He moves normally outside water.
eeji Posted - 29/04/2010 : 18:55:41
...or its just a natural panicky reaction purely because he's so young
SexyBear77 Posted - 29/04/2010 : 08:53:42
What exactly was the temp of the water? Did you check it with a thermometer before you put him in?

If the water was too hot or too cold it may explain the spasming you describe.
Kellog Posted - 29/04/2010 : 03:23:21
quote:
Originally posted by colbyleung

Depth is same as the snake. But I'm mainly worried about the fact he is spasming. I've never seen a snake do that. I've just got him and I know he hasn't been hurt.

How often have you tried this? Is his behaviour normal otherwise? What are the temps in this viv? What is his set-up like?

Just would help to know a bit more about him.....

xxx
n/a Posted - 28/04/2010 : 23:35:10
Depth is same as the snake. But I'm mainly worried about the fact he is spasming. I've never seen a snake do that. I've just got him and I know he hasn't been hurt.
Lilpunk Posted - 28/04/2010 : 17:53:32
How deep is the water?
Kazerella Posted - 28/04/2010 : 11:13:20
I agree- if he's coming up to a shed and you think he might have problems, then you could just put him a damp hide in, which is a plastic box (clean margerine tub will do) with a hole cut in the lid, with damp spaghum moss put inside (available from rep shops, garden centres and even Tesco last time I went in).

Here's a link that might help:
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3699

Although most corns are great little shedders without additional help, so he may not even need this if he usually sheds complete regulary
n/a Posted - 28/04/2010 : 08:30:40
I dont know anything about the spasming - but with regards to the shedding - (and if im wrong someone please correct me) as far as i know, you only need to do that if there is a problem with retained shed, and none of the other tricks like damp sphagnum moss have worked - putting them in the water should be a last resort
n/a Posted - 28/04/2010 : 07:57:03
Oh alright, thanks. He is coming up to his shedding proccess and I thought I'd put him in for 1 min. I was told to do that on a different forum before but I've never seen a snake spasm like that.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000