The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Exo Terra bowls gone slimey.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hillzi Posted - 24/04/2010 : 21:14:32
Hey, I will wack this up the rep too, but does anyone have an exo terra waterbowl?

Mines gone all slimey and gunky.. amount of disinfectant and rinsing wont stop it going slimey..

Anyone got a soloution? :)
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sta~ple Posted - 26/04/2010 : 21:18:45
Ohhh just got a 30cm x 20cm lasagne dish from asda for £3.50 ^^ just gotta hope it fits in the silly sized vivs I have lol just might mean a water bowl is right next to a hide. They had some round cookware dish that were similar to dog bowel sizes only cheaper too.
hillzi Posted - 25/04/2010 : 21:10:04
I have tried the thin dishes but they get tipped over, and then hidden under.. to a great amount of fail. LOl.
punumbear Posted - 25/04/2010 : 20:14:26
my carolina has an exxo terra water bowl, i do waters every other day and have started to notice a water line about a cm from the top of the bowl but it hasnt gone slimey.. just use a scourer and keep on top of cleaning it.. although majority of mmine now have water dishes ment for the bottom of plant pots.
n/a Posted - 25/04/2010 : 15:05:20
I have an Exo water bowl- I change the water every oher day and give it a good scrub one a week
Sizzlesmum Posted - 25/04/2010 : 13:50:46
Sizzle used to have exo terra one, it lost it's colour very quickly so he now has a dog bowl. Got it from Wilkinsons, can't remember what it cost but it was much cheaper than the exo terra one
DannyBrown91 Posted - 25/04/2010 : 11:06:50
I have 3 exo terra medium waterbowls, and only one of them is sealed. It has kept its colour and is stillpretty shiny but the other 2 weren't sealed in the same way and all the colour on the inside has washed out.

I don't think i will be buying a bigger one when i put mine into vivs, will just use a dog bowl or something similar as said.
hillzi Posted - 25/04/2010 : 10:53:38
I do the waters daily, but after some testing this morning, I found that boiling water works well at getting the gunk off, with a little bit of bleach and bloody good rinse off too, it's back and the colour hasn't gone of it much.

Oh and Matty, found a way to avoid the spilling of them, dont put as much water in it and put it by the viv door, so you wont have to reach in and get it.

What I think it is Sta~ple is that the resin or the sealer comes off with the water.. Also get a bit of some filmy horrid thing on top sometimes.

Unfortunately, theres no pound shop near me and on ebay, ceramic dog bowls are killer on the postage. :(
Sta~ple Posted - 25/04/2010 : 09:24:57
I love you Kazeralla! I never thought of food dishes, probably cheaper also than trying to find a super sized dog bowl too!
Kazerella Posted - 25/04/2010 : 08:54:46
I don't like the exo's because if you do give them a really good scrub all the colouring comes off too. All mine don't look as good anymore because they've had a good clean.

Much cheaper and better to use dog bowls or lasagne dishes. At least you feel more assured they are clean than with an exo.
reptiledanny Posted - 25/04/2010 : 08:11:50
mine has this, some slimy gunk, i just get a piece of kitchen roll when there is no water in it and wipe it and the gunk comes off but then the week later it's gunky again so every week i have to clean it. doesn't matter to much as i do the spot cleaning evry week.
n/a Posted - 25/04/2010 : 04:26:27
Mine requires a good scrub every week in hot water to keep it looking pleasant and as previously mentioned if you fill it anywhere near full its a balancing act to get it back into the viv without soaking the carpet or substrate. Aesthetically pleasing, not that the looks of the water bowl effects the snake! The allure of creating a natural looking habitat keeps you scrubbing though!
n/a Posted - 25/04/2010 : 01:14:56
My beardie has an exo terra water bowl, I soak it in really hot water and get a scourer on it seems to do the trick. I thinks its because the inside of the bowls arent sealed with anything.... well mine doesnt seem to be!
Sta~ple Posted - 24/04/2010 : 23:15:05
I use dog bowls as well. When they were wee snakies I used to use ceramic rabbit bowl until they outgrew it. I was only wondering about the exo terra ones as one of my snake's is too big to bathe in his dog bowl now and the dimensions of the extra large bowl seem like he could sit in it and the even bigger dog bowls I have seen seem to be like £20...

How come it builds up really fast on the exo terra?

Could it be that snakey somehow dragging substrate in and then out of the water and then that making the water and bowl all icky?
eeji Posted - 24/04/2010 : 23:12:35
.......and they stain really easily too, especially if you use them with a species requiring high humidity and/or a damp substrate :(

Dog bowls are the way to go, they're mega cheap from the pound shop! :D
matty18714 Posted - 24/04/2010 : 23:00:48
As I said on the rep, it builds up really fast on exo terra bowls.

Sta~ple, dont bother getting one. They are a pain to clean and have a stupid design, and for what they are, they cost too much. If your looking to change the water in less than 30mins, you will just end up spilling it as it has low sides. I use dog bowls, they are much better.
Sta~ple Posted - 24/04/2010 : 22:48:43
I use a ceramic dog bowl but have actually been looking into getting a exo terra water bowl lol. Out of cursiousity how big is your bowl and how old is your snakie?

I used to use wood pellet and sound the bowl got very slimy but now with a different substrate it doesn't get as slimy. Your supposed to do a proper clean of the bowl at least every 2 weeks anyway. I leave the bowl to soak in hot water and then scrub the bowl using washing up liquid.
lee2308 Posted - 24/04/2010 : 22:46:41
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

in a few weeks is slimey again!

clean it more often then you lazy bugger
hillzi Posted - 24/04/2010 : 22:03:27
Yeah but when I put water in it, in a few weeks is slimey again!

eeji Posted - 24/04/2010 : 21:55:29
scrub harder! :D

....or get hold of some Tufanega hand cleaner, that usually gets through most grimy stuff
hillzi Posted - 24/04/2010 : 21:44:19
If this is £13, there has to be a way of efficiently cleaning it!

Tried a cat litter tray - that got flipped up. Tried a plastic dog water bowl - he hid under it, thus getting too chilly to move out again!

crazy snakes..

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000