The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 breeding &humane despatch.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
punumbear Posted - 22/04/2010 : 09:40:07
Right if memory serves me quite a few people on here breed and kill their own mice/rats ..... im looking into this for possible future plans.. have done some research on it.. and will continue to do so till im happy i know what it entails. Those who are seasoned breeders could you please advise me as to where you get your co2 cannisters and regualtors from.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
punumbear Posted - 13/05/2010 : 21:37:37
lol..nah i believe its the breeding adults you need to get attached to as they are your means of doing all this.. treat them right and u will have relaxed content animals. but im looking forward to making this work..
Sta~ple Posted - 13/05/2010 : 19:55:52
Oh dear D: More time to get attached >.<
punumbear Posted - 13/05/2010 : 19:52:58
i dont think ill be gettin attached to the younguns unless there is a particularly cute looking one that gets a reprieve lol....i learnt the knack of switching off ages ago..but providing i dont watch them as they get put to sleep i dont think ill be too phased by it... besides i wont be doing any younguns unless i have need for them ill mainly be doing large n jumbos..
Sta~ple Posted - 13/05/2010 : 18:00:11
I was actually thinking for hysterical adults or parents that worry about their kids too much ;)

Indeed. Now you have to make sure you won't get attached to the young ones :p
punumbear Posted - 13/05/2010 : 17:04:41
yeah give me some credit staple wouldnt post up pics like that i`m 30 not 13.lol. i know kids use this site aswell.... yes i ment set up... as for being cost effecient we shall soon find out .. wont know unless i try.
Sta~ple Posted - 13/05/2010 : 16:06:33
Would it actually be cost efficient though?

And it's probably best not to post the mice dying XD or have a warning as some people might have an issue with that XD unless you mean pictures of the set-up and alive mice.
punumbear Posted - 13/05/2010 : 13:31:42
After posting this i have spent alot of time ,reading , watching talking to those that know.. it has taken me alot of emails and phone calls to find some nice mice to breed... and hopefully they are being delivered next saturday.... have looked through 1000s of vid and websites about the c02 chamber.. and feel happy that is the best way to go.I am fully aware of how much work this is going to be but main result is aslong as i save on my snakes food bill and the mice have a happy comfortable life whilst taking their turns to breed then thats fine,regardless of theirt intended role they will still be treated in a respectful and caring manner as all my other animals.. ... once all is sorted and action is happening i shall do some pics...
shaun727 Posted - 23/04/2010 : 13:09:16
quote:
Originally posted by tinamiles

Bit greusome to some people as this may be:

the most humane way to kill a rodent (in my opinon and legally) is overdose of CO2 and then cervical dislocation! This is done to make sure the mouse definately dead and therefore doesnt suffer!! Once you know they're well under, enough to kill them, to make doubly sure they are dead (and therefore theres no risk of the mouse regaining consciouseness and the mouse or snake getting unesseccarily injured) breaking the neck is ALOT faster, humane and less messy than bashing their head on the side of a worktop, etc. put the FULLY unconscious mouse laying on its front and Use a screwdriver and place it directly behind the skull, right at the top of it backbone. Then push down HARD, at the same time pulling the mouse up at a 45degree angle, holding onto its tail and back legs! quick+once this is done the mouse is brain dead!

the same way you do a rabbit then ? - the screw driver
Mouse Posted - 23/04/2010 : 10:26:57
Think I'm gonna just keep going to the shop and buying frozen ones!
punumbear Posted - 22/04/2010 : 22:02:44
as with anything i guess theory n practise are always diff.. but im in no rush gonna continue info finding n speaking to those that know.. n see what happens when im ready to go there..:O)
tinamiles Posted - 22/04/2010 : 21:53:46
no, just alot of research! Did a degree in animal behaviour+welfare, so had to do alot of research into laws+humane killing for one lovely module LOL!
punumbear Posted - 22/04/2010 : 21:50:24
is that spoken from experience tina?? lol
tinamiles Posted - 22/04/2010 : 21:41:21
Bit greusome to some people as this may be:

the most humane way to kill a rodent (in my opinon and legally) is overdose of CO2 and then cervical dislocation! This is done to make sure the mouse definately dead and therefore doesnt suffer!! Once you know they're well under, enough to kill them, to make doubly sure they are dead (and therefore theres no risk of the mouse regaining consciouseness and the mouse or snake getting unesseccarily injured) breaking the neck is ALOT faster, humane and less messy than bashing their head on the side of a worktop, etc. put the FULLY unconscious mouse laying on its front and Use a screwdriver and place it directly behind the skull, right at the top of it backbone. Then push down HARD, at the same time pulling the mouse up at a 45degree angle, holding onto its tail and back legs! quick+once this is done the mouse is brain dead!
punumbear Posted - 22/04/2010 : 19:33:11
staple as to start with i would only be looking to fill my own freezer with small/meds/large/jumbos... as majority of mine are on those.. should i get anymore hatchlings of boa/python/corn then ill consider the pinks/fuzzies etc... i have kept rats n mice as pets over prev years and their husbandry records have been spotless i keep on top of cleaning out every week .. n feeding is every other day etc etc... but once my lot are full grown the feed bill will change considerably obviously.. but i will aim to weigh up the pros n cons of ordering in versus home grown sts.. so we shall see.;)
reptiledanny Posted - 22/04/2010 : 19:25:32
i once thought about breeding mice as a hobby as i quite like mice but the i would sell the baies. but then i thought that with a couple of them i could kill and feed to my snake, but after a bit of research found that it was alot cheaper to buy my pinkies so...
Sta~ple Posted - 22/04/2010 : 19:13:47
Believe me if you do it right they don't feel it but you never know if you will do it right. It's like the whole if you shoot someone in the head right then they don't feel it but if you do it wrong, they get part of their brain missing and bleed to death.

You have to also think about disease amongst the small animals you keep as I assume you will have many then the likely hood of health problems will increase. I also imagine if not cleaned out every day they would stink as well so it could all be quite time consuming. If you want to do it, go for it. If you had a lot of them I bet some people on here would buy them from you if the p and p was good.
punumbear Posted - 22/04/2010 : 18:18:35
well as im an animal lover i cant condone the smashing of the skull as thts just brutal so cheers kehhlyr & hillzi for the sound advice... as i said it wont be for a while yet as i already have 5 snakes the last being my hatchling whiteout.. but will be looking to produce my own food items in a few years... just want to make sure of the best method and route to go which causes the less anguish.... but i shall keep looking. Alot of my friends who are established snake keepers are gettin their rats/mice free so just thought id look into it.... i know as with anything initial set up start costs are considerable but eventual benefits i.e p&p costs.. and the fact u know what ya breeders are being fed n how they are kept outweigh the majourity of concerns... staple i have looked into c02 chambers and its 25.00 to start with initial 5.00 refill(round here anyway) so added bits n pieces mice, tubs food etc wont be a massive dent in the pocket.. But i wont be doing anythi9ng till im fully satisfied that i know the ins n outs and wont do it just on a whim... cheers guys x
Sta~ple Posted - 22/04/2010 : 17:03:33
You can mistakes through both co2 chambers and smashing the head. You need to know what your doing and if you are doing either method for a long time then you are bound to at some point make a mistake which entails the mouse suffering it's the way it goes I'm afraid.

I suppose co2 chamber would mean less mess but also more costly. I have a book that says if you breed your own mice, get them by the tale and smash their heads onto something concrete or on the corner of the snakes viv.
n/a Posted - 22/04/2010 : 16:20:55
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

The ONLY humane way is co2 chamber, the mice go to sleep, and during their sleep they die. So no suffering is involved.

I'd rather die in my sleep than have someone smash a hammer through my skull.

I think thats the Best way to go!
xXx
Kehhlyr Posted - 22/04/2010 : 16:00:27
The only way to make a mistake when using a co2 chamber is through stupidity and impatience.
The mice/chicks go in, the co2 gets turned on slowly and you walk away.
The prey items start falling asleep, so you leave it for a couple more mins and they're dead.

If they're not dead then they just wake up and start moving around again with no ill effects.

A stab in the skull with something is not always as instantly effective and most people think.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000