The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 fussy eater

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 20/04/2010 : 23:49:27
im new to this snake thing. i have a wee corn who is a 09 hatchling and he has started to miss his feeds, i tried feeding him on sunday and monday but not interested, he also didn't eat last week.
when i got him in feb he was 11grm, when i weighed him 3 weeks ago and he was 16grm and tonight still 16grm.
any ideas of what i can do and how long should i leave him before i should get really worried.

temp - 85 ish in hot end
size - large faunarium (divided)
heating equipment - heatmat and stat
decor - aspen, cork bark, tupperware tub, toilet roll tube, fake plant
feeding regime - pinkie every sunday, usually strike feeds
methods tried - left food in over night and cut top of pinkies head (ugh)
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 21/04/2010 : 23:22:57
thanks all, fingers crossed he feeds on sunday, if not i'll be back
reptiledanny Posted - 21/04/2010 : 19:16:49
hope he feeds when you feed him on sunday, i now what it's like when an animal doesn't feed a for ages
HannahB Posted - 21/04/2010 : 14:31:45
its probably due to being in shed, i know how hard it is to see them go blue - my hypo lav is really hard to notice when shes going to shed, i dont get them out too often so i often miss her eyes go cloudy aswell
he should feed again soon now he has shed,
if not iv got a long list of suggestions you could try to tempt him with - all tried and tested!
mikerichards Posted - 21/04/2010 : 10:29:10
Ideally, you want to be about 82f at the warm end, so to allow a slight increase if its a warm day, 30c is really too hot for them ideally.
How big is a large faun? i keep my hatchling in a tub thats about 12 inces by 6, which is plenty for them, even at a year old they were still in there, and they fed no problems, infact, most of them fed when they were cloudy too.
What size food are you giving it? do you heat the food first?
Also, do you have a stat on the heatmat on your faun? how much of the faun is the heatmat covering?
gmac Posted - 21/04/2010 : 09:56:25
glad he shed, maybe he will feed now, if he is normally fed on a Sunday I would just leave it to sunday to offer anything to him, only a few days away so wont make any difference.
n/a Posted - 21/04/2010 : 09:50:52
thanks for the replies,
not got a tape on me but the divider knocks off about a third of the fanarium and he is in the largest bit.
he shed this morning. its not as noticable on him compared to the wee crimson, she goes milky but he is a hypo lav so he is always pale, the only time i can really tell he his due a shed is when his eyes go cloudy. think i will take the divider out of fanarium, he is always in his hot end but at least if he is feeling heat a wee bit he can move further away, i wil just put in another it bark or something so he feels secure.
once again thank you
gmac Posted - 21/04/2010 : 09:09:13
Missing a feed or two is not the end of the world and he has not lost any weight so dont panic.

does sound like your setup and temps are fine as Judith said though not any hotter.

The only thing you havent mentioned yet is when he last shed, Some hatchlings and indeed all sized corns can go off their food during this process, this can take a few weeks in some instances, one of my corns wont eat for 3 weeks buring this process.

As he has put on weight and been eating fine with you up untill now i wouldnt change the way you give him his pinkies by braining or the likes just yet, he is used to it.

Dont offer food every day this will only stress your corn, so maybe offer ever every 3-4 days.

Good Luck
Kellog Posted - 21/04/2010 : 04:41:22
I am so sorry your hatchling has stopped eating Amanda. Well done for supplying so much info....it is what is needed for those who are experienced with this sort of thing to try and get to the bottom of what is going on.

You say the large faunarium is divided, what size does that mean your snake is living in? And how are you measuring your temps, is it with a digital thermometer? I am not great with Fahrenheit, but think that 85ish is bordering on too warm....or at least as warm as you want it to get.

You really have gone all out trying to get him to feed (cutting the pinkies head off , I have only had to brain a mouse and that was bad enough!)

This link may be of some help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3720

I know we have a number of members who have hatchlings who are not feeding, so hopefully they will be able to give you some idea as to what is going on and some hints as to what to do.

xxx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000