The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Total newbie! Help with heating pretty urgent!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 20/04/2010 : 15:21:57
Hi, I've spent a lot of time researching into buying a snake but I've still got quite a few questions that I need answered pretty soon before my new snake arrives!
So,I bought a faun and I have the heat mat and the stat, but it just won't go hot enough? The stat still has the light on and I have it set at the right temp with the mat underneath the faun with the probe on the inside touching the bottom.
I know the temperatures for the hot side are meant to be about 29c and the cold side about 22c does this mean for the ambient temp as well.. ?
The heat mat I know should be only 1/3 of the way across but with it only 1/3 across it struggles to get past 22c on the hot side I have it right now, halfway across and it still hasn't topped 24c (ambient temp) but the heat mat is most definitely hot? I just don't think it's getting through the faun well... I do have the faun and heatmat on top of a towel on a table so it should be more insulated? But yeah really confused would be greatful for all you help!!
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sta~ple Posted - 22/04/2010 : 18:18:17
Flat polystrene tiles you can get from B and Q other than that I can only say supermarkets might have some.

UK seller would be better as I have had some trouble with stuff from China. They mark item as gifts so they don't have to pay much postage and then if customs finds out that it isn't actually a gift they charge you.

I got mine from here as at the time it was the cheapest from the UK plus if they battery runs out I only need to replace it with one instead of 2.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIGITAL-THERMOMETER-FAST-DISPATCH_W0QQitemZ230463543304QQihZ013QQcategoryZ93679QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m444QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DCRX%26its%3DC%252BS%26itu%3DSI%252BUA%252BLM%252BLA%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D9049894736946414004#ht_3237wt_946

Good look for next tuesday :)
n/a Posted - 22/04/2010 : 17:21:12
Really appreciating all the different advice and help people :) I don't have any polystyrene and haven't had much luck getting any just now but still looking! The thermometers that I have at the mo are like proper stuck on the side and I can't really get them off xD Thanks for the link Kellog! My snake is coming on tuesday though so I think I'll just buy one from a UK based seller and make sure it'll be getting shipped asap!
DannyBrown91 Posted - 21/04/2010 : 11:48:45
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

This might sound silly but is it in a room with an open window or a draft?

Certainly dosn't sound silly because if it was it would affect the dial therms which are away from the heat soource, but wouldn't affect a stated heat mat.
Sta~ple Posted - 21/04/2010 : 08:02:37
This might sound silly but is it in a room with an open window or a draft?
Kellog Posted - 21/04/2010 : 04:54:13
I am afraid that I cant help you regarding the heatmat and faun, but the advice you have been given has come from those who have experience with these.

What I can suggest is checking this out - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Water-LCD-Screen-Digital-Thermometer_W0QQitemZ130359421597QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Fish?hash=item1e5a06ea9d. I ordered one for my viv, took a couple of weeks to come but it is perfect and I am so much happier knowing what the exact temp is at substrate level. I am sure you can find others like this that may not take as long (this came from Hong Kong, I found out after I had ordered it!)....but the sooner you have one in the faun the safer your snake will be and the more peace of mind you will have.

You could certainly try doing as Danny has suggested and lie them on the substrate and see what a difference it makes in the temp they show.

xxx

DannyBrown91 Posted - 20/04/2010 : 21:58:08
Why don't you take them off the side of the faun and rest them on the floor?
n/a Posted - 20/04/2010 : 21:54:00
Thanks so much for all your help and advice guys! And yeah the faun does have like a wee raise on the corners but yeah it does sit on a towel. I don't think the towel is really making much difference though so I'll try and see if I've got some polystyrene.. I don't actually have a digi thermometer at the mo but that is something I'm deffo gonna invest in because the thermos I have just now that are so far, and only really measuring ambient temperature are pretty confusing and yeah aren't measuring the floor heat!
Kehhlyr Posted - 20/04/2010 : 19:06:22
I would normally recommend polystyrene tiles, but not everyone can get them.
Although a couple of the ones from under pizzas cut to size normally does the job as well.
LittleMick Posted - 20/04/2010 : 19:03:21
Put a polystyeren tile inderneath it as well, that will reflect the heat upwards into the faun. I have a fuan and I did this and it makes a hell of a difference both for my snake faun and my scorpion enclosure, the difference can be as much as 10c. Some people use tin foil or wrap towels round them, but I found poly to be sufficient.

And I'm surprised at yo Kehhlyr for notmentioning this, as you gave me this advice. Akatsuki, don't trust the dial on the stat as these are generally inaccurate. I have 3 stats and none of them are accurate. Always alter the dial until the temperature is correct on your DIGITAL thermometer.
punumbear Posted - 20/04/2010 : 16:49:47
in the start of me owning snakes i had same sort of issue,... but i have noticed its the lil things that make the biggest difference.. the face of your stat probe and therm are they pointing straight down towards the floor??? if so allow more slack on the wires and have them facing forwards more.. rather than pointing down.. have noticed this each time when mine have been on mats.. hence why i have also used the hides to sit on them holds them in place and sits them at better angle to be able to gauge temps coming off the heat mat under the faun.
Kehhlyr Posted - 20/04/2010 : 16:22:15
Also if the mat is under the faun then quite often it's not in contact with the faun properly as they tend to have little stumpy feet that raises them a fraction.
If you try sticking a towel under the faun and heat mat as well.

Also what is the faun/heatmat on top of?
DannyBrown91 Posted - 20/04/2010 : 15:31:12
You need to be measuring floor temp not ambient temp. For this it is crucial you have a digital thermometer, the probe for the thermometer should be touching the floor, i hold mine down with a hide.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000