The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Help with a shedding, biting Corn snake

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 20/04/2010 : 13:05:22
Hi,

I have had Kevin for 7 weeks. He is 18 inches long. He has shedded for the first time on Sunday. He has some skin left on his underside. He is now overdue a feed. I tried to feed him yesterday but when I have attempted to pick him up and place him in a RUB he has repeatedly attempted to strike and wasn't happy at all. He has bitten me several times in the past and this was likely due to me not being confident in handling. Handling has improved recently but since he shed it has now become a problem again.

I have read that bathing the snake in warm water and removing the skin myself would be the answer but I know that if I attempt to pick him up he will strike again and will not be calm.

Can anyone advise what I need to do? Should I just get on with it and if he strikes just carry on until he calms down?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 27/04/2010 : 05:15:57
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin

I added some damp paper towel to the Viv and turned the temperature up. The following day Kevin had shed his remaining skin.

In all it took about 4 days from when he started the shed until he finished. I have made a note of this on my calendar. I await what happens next time.

Thanks for all the advice and tips, this web site and forum is a great help and resource to a newbie.

That is such good news to hear, thank you so much for letting us know that Kevin has managed to get rid of all of his retained shed . It is a great idea to make a note of these kinds of things because then you begin to notice a pattern and you can take some steps to help him shed cleanly next time.

No need for the thanks - that is what the forum is here for !

xxx

n/a Posted - 25/04/2010 : 19:55:29
I added some damp paper towel to the Viv and turned the temperature up. The following day Kevin had shed his remaining skin.

In all it took about 4 days from when he started the shed until he finished. I have made a note of this on my calendar. I await what happens next time.

Thanks for all the advice and tips, this web site and forum is a great help and resource to a newbie.
n/a Posted - 23/04/2010 : 19:57:22
Although I have only had my snake for a week I did have one about 15 years ago that had some trouble shedding, I put her into a damp pillowcase for about 20 minutes and it did the trick. Just make sure that it is warm and you ring it out well.
Good luck
Steve
DannyBrown91 Posted - 22/04/2010 : 22:17:45
quote:
Originally posted by KITTYCAT

i put my hatchling in the sink after a bad shed they are excelent swimmers aint seen him move so fast but it worked his shed came of brilliant i let him slide through a towel afterwards at it came of like a stocking aslo bare in mind your snake is probably more frightend of you than you should be of it,

As said in another thread, Yes they are good swimmers, but they don't like swimming and this should only be done as a last resort as it can be stressful to the snake.
KITTYCAT Posted - 22/04/2010 : 19:17:38
i put my hatchling in the sink after a bad shed they are excelent swimmers aint seen him move so fast but it worked his shed came of brilliant i let him slide through a towel afterwards at it came of like a stocking aslo bare in mind your snake is probably more frightend of you than you should be of it,
n/a Posted - 21/04/2010 : 12:31:50
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

The eyes always clear a few days before the shed so this dosn't mean they eye caps have come off.

What you need to do is find the skin, and check the skin for the eyes caps and the tip of his tail as these are the things that are usually hardest to notice on the snake.

Have checked the discarded skin and the eye caps are on there, so i'm confident he can see o.k.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 21/04/2010 : 11:44:07
The eyes always clear a few days before the shed so this dosn't mean they eye caps have come off.

What you need to do is find the skin, and check the skin for the eyes caps and the tip of his tail as these are the things that are usually hardest to notice on the snake.
n/a Posted - 21/04/2010 : 08:36:05
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Bites don't hurt that much and once he's bitten you a few times he'll give up most probably.

Thanks for the reassurance. I know I'm being a big girl about being scared of the bites (no offence to any girls on here!)
n/a Posted - 21/04/2010 : 08:34:01
quote:
Originally posted by zandefloss

Is it a possibility he has retained his eyecaps as well, just wondering because this could make him strike if he can't see you coming.

zan x

Thanks for the tip. His eyes were cloudy before the shed but they are now their usual colour. I assume this means the eyecaps have shed fully?
zandefloss Posted - 20/04/2010 : 19:23:50
Is it a possibility he has retained his eyecaps as well, just wondering because this could make him strike if he can't see you coming.

zan x
Sta~ple Posted - 20/04/2010 : 19:11:01
Bites don't hurt that much and once he's bitten you a few times he'll give up most probably.
n/a Posted - 20/04/2010 : 14:32:41
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

I would turn the light off as it introduces heat which is not needed.

Alo get yourself atleast 1 digital thermometer for on the warm side. You can pick them up on ebay for a couple of quid so arn't necesarily expensive. They're a crucial piece of kit to monitor your temps as the thermostat probes aren't very accurate nor are the dial thermometers.

Thanks for the advice. I shall get a digital thermometer.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 20/04/2010 : 14:25:07
I would turn the light off as it introduces heat which is not needed.

Alo get yourself atleast 1 digital thermometer for on the warm side. You can pick them up on ebay for a couple of quid so arn't necesarily expensive. They're a crucial piece of kit to monitor your temps as the thermostat probes aren't very accurate nor are the dial thermometers.
n/a Posted - 20/04/2010 : 14:19:06
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

He will have no desire to be in the water, and will try to escape as much as possible, so be prepared for a fast snake as well.

What is your setup like? Plastic viv which is kept inside a full size Viv.
What is the tank made of? Plastic
size of tank? (lengthxwidthxheight in inches pref) 20x10x8
substrate? Aspen substrate
decor? 1 stone affect hide, 1 bark hide, 1 waterbowl
how is it heated? Thermostat controlled heat mat under half of small viv. Heat lamp on in full size Viv during daylight hours.
how are temps monitored? Cheap thermometers (not digital) either end of Viv.

I wouldn't bother with a bath or a soak yet to be honest, quite often most shed can come off by themselves, another couple of days in the viv could sort it and of not then consider a dip.

My Viv details are included above. Thanks for your comments
DannyBrown91 Posted - 20/04/2010 : 14:15:41
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin

He has retained about a 4 inch strip on his underside just past half way of his length towards his tail. I believe it is just one area.

Any chance you have any spagnum moss? You could give him a damp hide and see if that does the trick for him. If not then a damp paper towel will do the trick.

Baths should only really be used as a last resort as it can be very stressful for the snake, so before putting him in a bath you should try the other options.

Stoney, i've never heard of using a damp pillow case before but imagine that it could work.
stoney2143 Posted - 20/04/2010 : 14:06:41
Not sure if this is a good tip or not but the guy in my local pet shop said he puts his snakes in a wet pillow case if they are having trouble shedding and that seems to do the trick.

Ive never tried it though so cant back that up

Does anyone else do this?
n/a Posted - 20/04/2010 : 14:03:55
He has retained about a 4 inch strip on his underside just past half way of his length towards his tail. I believe it is just one area.
Kehhlyr Posted - 20/04/2010 : 14:03:52
He will have no desire to be in the water, and will try to escape as much as possible, so be prepared for a fast snake as well.

What is your setup like?
What is the tank made of?
size of tank? (lengthxwidthxheight in inches pref)
substrate?
decor?
how is it heated?
how are temps monitored?

I wouldn't bother with a bath or a soak yet to be honest, quite often most shed can come off by themselves, another couple of days in the viv could sort it and of not then consider a dip.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 20/04/2010 : 14:00:16
It could be done in a rub, sink, washing bowl, bath whatever is a good size. Make sure the water is luke warm, best to measure with a digital therm, it should no warmer than 30c and no colder than 27c. It should be deep enough that his belly can touch the floor in case he wants to rest.

How much shed has he retained?
n/a Posted - 20/04/2010 : 13:51:13
Thanks for your comments. I think Kevin does have a less than friendly temperament, but I know that the main issue is my handling confidence. I know that a bite won't hurt, it's just that a strike happens very fast and it's a bit unexpected. I have considered wearing gloves, but have been told this is never necessary for a Corn.

Regarding bathing, should I put him in a RUB that is filled with 1cm of warm water and no dry space, so that he has to go in the water? If he starts to move around like he has no desire to be there, any advice?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000